For those who already applied: How do publications work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
del

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your name on them?

If so you can list them as papers you wrote - otherwise they will just be "activities"...

Hopefully you got credit for them somewhere, somehow.

Edit: didn't read well enough--- it's a school paper??? No they are not considered scientifically reviewed research papers. This is just an activity - like volunteering.

I have a similar question. I just found out that a paper I made minor contributions to 2 years ago is being submitted for review and will have my name on it. I was just informed of this, so it was not included in the Work/Activities section of my application. Will it be fine for me to just e-mail schools this update and give them a call to make sure they received it? Only a couple of the schools I applied to have an official section of the Secondary (after it is completed) for applicants to make updates.

FYI this is a scientifically-reviewed paper in a research lab at my alma mater.

Members don't see this ad :)
a few are school newspaper but a few are in a published journal headed by my professor
You may cite them as "papers" if they are PUBLISHED in SCIENTIFIC journals that are peer reviewed...

Otherwise, if they are things your school is publishing as newspaper or your professor publishes as journal but not in an established scientific journal reviewed by the scientific community, then only list it as an activity - not a citation.

Your college journal doesn't count as a publication. It has to be a peer reviewed publication in a legit journal. U can still give an update for research activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
no dude. you can say you wrote the articles but don't send them in. i feel like people have made this abundantly clear. not sure why you are so hung up on these articles.

Honestly - probably not worth the space. It's the same as if I went and wrote a paper by myself on some stuff and then "published" it and handed it out on the streets.

Or a lab report I wrote for a class that was "published" on my professor page for sample lab report - it doesn't count as a scientific paper.

I'm not an ADCOM but if I read your application, it would come off as a "wanna be researcher but not". It will sound like it was an article, yet you can't find it in any journal. It's not "common" (as I heard from an ADCOM) that undergrads have publication - you wouldn't want them to search it up and can't find it.

You have 15 spaces to put extracurricular activities. However, the best way to go about filling in your activities is to use a broad heading for the activity description, e.g., "Summer Internships," and then describe with bullet points each separate activity that goes under that large classification. This is the accepted way of organizing your activities and using less spaces to say more things, which makes the readers' lives easier.

In your case, I could see you classifying your newspaper and writing stuff as something like
"Writing Activities"
– Contributing reporter for college newspaper on topics of ___ ___ ___ (don't include headlines; topics suffice)
– Published 3 articles for [description of journal] about the commoditization and regulation of human subjects testing in the 1970s in the post-Belmont era

Does that make sense? A big part of the process is learning how to present write about what you've done in a coherent, logical way. It's a good skill to have.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly - probably not worth the space. It's the same as if I went and wrote a paper by myself on some stuff and then "published" it and handed it out on the streets.

Or a lab report I wrote for a class that was "published" on my professor page for sample lab report - it doesn't count as a scientific paper.

I'm not an ADCOM but if I read your application, it would come off as a "wanna be researcher but not". It will sound like it was an article, yet you can't find it in any journal. It's not "common" (as I heard from an ADCOM) that undergrads have publication - you wouldn't want them to search it up and can't find it.
This is poor advice. If you've published in your school paper feel free to add that to your application in a manner as @moop has described.

I agree that you should make it clear that this is not a scientific article published in a peer-reviewed journal. However, in your description feel free to explain how these articles may "help bridge the gap between academics and lay-people" (except word that better). While your activity does not represent a "Research/Scienific Publication" category, it does speak well to your ability to effectively communicate through writing. Alternatively if you were a formal/frequent writer for your college newspaper feel free to roll all of it into 1 activity.

Tread lightly with the "professor's student journal" writings. I've never heard of such a thing, so naturally my concern is for the rigor of such an activity. You can roll it into a "Writing" heading as suggested above with your newspaper articles or you could consider making a separate category for it. I'm hesitant to recommend the latter only because I think you might receive some flak if it's not thoroughly explained. If you've worked with that professor on some other activity or with other students as a member of a group who participates in that student journal, then you could categorize that activity as being a member of such and such group with contributions including xyz to the student journal. Hope this helps.

This is poor advice. If you've published in your school paper feel free to add that to your application in a manner as @moop has described.

I agree that you should make it clear that this is not a scientific article published in a peer-reviewed journal. However, in your description feel free to explain how these articles may "help bridge the gap between academics and lay-people" (except word that better). While your activity does not represent a "Research/Scienific Publication" category, it does speak well to your ability to effectively communicate through writing. Alternatively if you were a formal/frequent writer for your college newspaper feel free to roll all of it into 1 activity.

Tread lightly with the "professor's student journal" writings. I've never heard of such a thing, so naturally my concern is for the rigor of such an activity. You can roll it into a "Writing" heading as suggested above with your newspaper articles or you could consider making a separate category for it. I'm hesitant to recommend the latter only because I think you might receive some flak if it's not thoroughly explained. If you've worked with that professor on some other activity or with other students as a member of a group who participates in that student journal, then you could categorize that activity as being a member of such and such group with contributions including xyz to the student journal. Hope this helps.
I refer to including the "names" of the articles... Simply put as she wrote for school newspaper and professor's research cohort's journal is enough. To put names and dates of "publication" is silly.

You know what- just do what you want to do! You are truly beating a dead horse here. You obviously feel these school newspaper articles and the professors journal article are extremely important to your application. So do what you want. The advice given here has been clear and straight forward yet you keep coming back and trying to respin the answers to fit your desires. So just do what you want. But remember you are limited to 15 activities and if you use 2 of those lines for this you might have to leave something out that will really help your application. Or is that the underlying problem? Do you not have a wide variety of ECs that would look good on your application?

Reactions: 1 user
So then I wouldn't put the actual titles of the articles, just what they were each about in brief.
I do think there is something to be said regarding a student who is able to coherently discuss medically related topics to a college/even in a journal. I'm not saying I wrote in the Harvard Medical School Journal, but there is something to be said and I think med schools would be impressed to a certain extent to see that I devoted my time in this arena
Ok so do it.

But be real no one is going to be blown away by your articles. No one's gonna really read them and realize just how pro you are at distilling medical topics to laypeople. You'll just make it known that you've written for these things, which is probably more than most premeds can say, but overstate the impact and you'll be disappointed