For those who have been accepted..when did you complete your app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been accepted to a Med school, when did you complete your application (AMCAS) and take your MCATs last year? I start applying next year for 2009 matriculation but am planning to take my 1st MCAT in July next summer. I wanna spend the extra month studying to rock the MCATs (as opposed to taking it in June). But I'm wondering how much this will hinder me considering I'll be later than some others.

But for those of you who got accepted, anyone take the MCATs as late as July?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been accepted to a Med school, when did you complete your application (AMCAS) and take your MCATs last year? I start applying next year for 2009 matriculation but am planning to take my 1st MCAT in July next summer. I wanna spend the extra month studying to rock the MCATs (as opposed to taking it in June). But I'm wondering how much this will hinder me considering I'll be later than some others.

But for those of you who got accepted, anyone take the MCATs as late as July?

I took the MCAT in April, submitted my AMCAS in June, and finished my apps as soon as possible (including getting those LOR's and Committee Letter). I was complete in mid-late July.

Some schools do not even look at applications until September, so taking the MCAT in July is not necessarily a bad thing; just make sure the other aspects of your app are on track.

I think July is late.... you don't find the results until Aug.... then Sec. you won't be complete until mid to end of Sept ... the rush..... which no interviews until late Oct, Nov or Jan.. take it April or May... it you have to you can take it again.... sub... early...... send your LOR'S as soon as you can that is what takes time... Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
took MCATS in May. submitted AMCAS in early June. did 25 secondaries from june thru aug.

i have 7 interviews and doubt i would have any if i applied later. i KNOW it improved my chances. worth about 2 points on the MCAT to apply early, in my personal opinion.

took MCATS in May. submitted AMCAS in early June. did 25 secondaries from june thru aug.

i have 7 interviews and doubt i would have any if i applied later. i KNOW it improved my chances. worth about 2 points on the MCAT to apply early, in my personal opinion.
Right now I'm hating my alma mater's quarter system and committee letter that stalled my verification and complete date by a month each.

I took the MCAT in April, submitted my AMCAS in June, and finished my apps as soon as possible (including getting those LOR's and Committee Letter). I was complete in mid-late July.

Same here. This is an excellent way to apply. So far this cycle has gone far better than I thought it would, and I attribute a lot of that to getting everything in immediately and taking the secondary essays very seriously (especially at schools like Duke that seem to emphasize them). I currently have three acceptances.

MCATS - August 2006 (last paper and pencil!)
AMCAS - submitted: late July. verified: August 13
LORs - submitted: Sept 3 (VirtualEvals)
Secondaries - completed majority by mid-september. A couple late sept/early oct.

1 acceptance so far and thrilled!

MCAT: August 2006
AMCAS: submitted mid-June, verified late June
Secondaries: late June - beginning of September (complete everywhere by the end of September)
LORs: Virtual Evals sent end of August

2 acceptances thus far!

MCAT: January 2007
AMCAS: submitted late June, verified within 10 days
Secondaries: complete everywhere by mid-August
LORs: Had committee interview in May so I could send my letter ASAP with secondaries (recommended if possible!)

2 acceptances

I'm just glad you only get to keep one:)
Gives the rest of us a chance...... maybe

full congratulations to you... you have definitely earned it!

submitted my AMCAS toward the end of June. Completed most of my secondaries by the end of July and mid-August. I got 3 interviews in Sept. 4 more in Oct.

MCAT: july 13, Submitted amcas: july 31, secondaries complete at most schools late september (9/26-9/30), 3 interviews so far, 1 acceptance :thumbup:

I completely agree. I don't think ppl realize the importance of applying early. In my opinion, applying early = + MCAT and GPA points. If you take the MCAT in july, you won't get results until August at earliest, and at that point you are right in the thick of things, so whereas is took me 2 days to get my amcas verified (I applied in June) it may take them 6 weeks to verify yours. Then you will be submitting secondaries right along with the bulk of applicants, so your app has to be that much more impressive to stand out. I have 5 interviews so far, with so-so scores and am still waiting to hear from 20+ schools where I've submitted sec's to.

If you are comparing one extra month of studying to the benefits of applying early, I think the latter is MUCH more beneficial.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I am just afraid that I will have a lower score if I take the MCATs sooner than later. I think I'll take a diagnostics test to see where I roughly stand at first. :oops:

Congratulations to all of you who have acceptances already!!! What a huge accomplishment! :)

No MCAT score in the world will be able to make up turning your app in on the last day.

I have not been accepted, but I'm going to put in my 2 cents. I took the MCAT in early July because I was studying abroad spring semester. If things were different, I would have definitely taken the June exam. I know it seems like a lot to do when you are in school and trying to study for the test, but I would have much rather done that. I started studying in early April (3 hours per day religiously) and basically quit studying mid June. I had to go ahead and submit AMCAS before I got my results, because I wanted it verified and ready to go before school started. I think I would have applied much differently if I had gotten my scores (BTW I made like 31's on all of my practice tests and then ended up with a 35) so I would have added a few more reach schools (since my two highest ranked interviewed me but my lower tiered ones showed no love). Anyways, long story short: Take the JUNE MCAT, fill out AMCAS and submit early, around your MCAT time. You can always add more schools early on, but I thought adding top tiered schools early september would be a waste of money. Had I taken the June MCAT, maybe I would have added those schools early Aug. Wow, that was long. sorry =):luck: