For those who need motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legion1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started this process a little over a year ago, and then almost quit after getting doors shut in my face. I have been out of school for 6 years. My undergrad GPA was a 2.89 and I had never taken a science course (general education geology doesn't count...) I called admissions departments at roughly 35 different medical schools. About 95%, including many DO programs, told me not to even apply without pulling my GPA up to a 3.5 (which would take 3 years full-time) or significant medical experience. At the encouragement of my wife, I did not give up and over the last year have taken almost all of my needed prerequisites for medical school. I have gone to school at night full time while working full time and earned a 4.0 in my prerequisite science courses. Explaining that I have a 4.0 in my science courses has led to several interviews with deans of admissions departments. Those interviews have led to me explaining that my low undergrad was due to having to work full time during school and that since undergrad I have had an extremely successful career as an Army Officer and have actually helped build clinics in Afghanistan. I explained that the 4.0 in sciences came while still working full time and was the result of hard work and little sleep. These folks seem to understand the commitment when I explain that I have spent almost every Saturday night in a library studying for the past year. While I certainly have not been accepted, many of these same admissions deans/associate deans have turned the tables and it now feels as if they are trying to recruit me. Do I think I will get into all of these places? No. But I am certain that as long as my MCATs are as good as my practice (33-35 generally) I will get into a majority of the DO schools and several strong allopathic programs. As is often the case with Student Doctor Forum, many of you will find individual issues with what I am saying and nit-pick. Please don't waste your time. This is not for you. Neither I, nor the people that this is written for, care about what you think. I am writing this for the others out there like me who have not taken a traditional approach and look at medical school as a door into a world where you can work hard, do something you love, and genuinely help people. I know that the door seems like it is on top of a mountain and to get there you have to go through a maze that is designed to keep non-traditional students out. THAT IS NOT TRUE. Is it extremely hard? Yes. But, I can tell you that if you go to a dean of admissions at a program focused on primary care and show them that you have leadership skills, experiences that can contribute to their medical school, and are smart enough to handle the work, they will quickly change their attitude towards you. The conversation begins with you trying to sell them and ends with them trying to sell you. Again, I am not naive and I do not think I am some hot commodity. There are still many programs, including my local state school, that have told me my overall GPA will cause my application to be immediately discarded. The bottom line is I almost quit the whole dream a year ago because I just didn't think it possible-for any school. Along the way, a lot of people have thought I am completely crazy at my age, in this economy. But, I am starting to see tangible results. I am now confident I will make it. If I can, you can to.

Members don't see this ad.

Did I hear the word, motivation?!

"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive. Today we celebrate our independence day!"

I started this process a little over a year ago, and then almost quit after getting doors shut in my face. I have been out of school for 6 years. My undergrad GPA was a 2.89 and I had never taken a science course (general education geology doesn't count...) I called admissions departments at roughly 35 different medical schools. About 95%, including many DO programs, told me not to even apply without pulling my GPA up to a 3.5 (which would take 3 years full-time) or significant medical experience. At the encouragement of my wife, I did not give up and over the last year have taken almost all of my needed prerequisites for medical school. I have gone to school at night full time while working full time and earned a 4.0 in my prerequisite science courses. Explaining that I have a 4.0 in my science courses has led to several interviews with deans of admissions departments. Those interviews have led to me explaining that my low undergrad was due to having to work full time during school and that since undergrad I have had an extremely successful career as an Army Officer and have actually helped build clinics in Afghanistan. I explained that the 4.0 in sciences came while still working full time and was the result of hard work and little sleep. These folks seem to understand the commitment when I explain that I have spent almost every Saturday night in a library studying for the past year. While I certainly have not been accepted, many of these same admissions deans/associate deans have turned the tables and it now feels as if they are trying to recruit me. Do I think I will get into all of these places? No. But I am certain that as long as my MCATs are as good as my practice (33-35 generally) I will get into a majority of the DO schools and several strong allopathic programs. As is often the case with Student Doctor Forum, many of you will find individual issues with what I am saying and nit-pick. Please don't waste your time. This is not for you. Neither I, nor the people that this is written for, care about what you think. I am writing this for the others out there like me who have not taken a traditional approach and look at medical school as a door into a world where you can work hard, do something you love, and genuinely help people. I know that the door seems like it is on top of a mountain and to get there you have to go through a maze that is designed to keep non-traditional students out. THAT IS NOT TRUE. Is it extremely hard? Yes. But, I can tell you that if you go to a dean of admissions at a program focused on primary care and show them that you have leadership skills, experiences that can contribute to their medical school, and are smart enough to handle the work, they will quickly change their attitude towards you. The conversation begins with you trying to sell them and ends with them trying to sell you. Again, I am not naive and I do not think I am some hot commodity. There are still many programs, including my local state school, that have told me my overall GPA will cause my application to be immediately discarded. The bottom line is I almost quit the whole dream a year ago because I just didn't think it possible-for any school. Along the way, a lot of people have thought I am completely crazy at my age, in this economy. But, I am starting to see tangible results. I am now confident I will make it. If I can, you can to.

We can certainly use more of THIS!! :clap::biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're on that last train to glory, you'll know you must have paid your fare.

- Arlo Guthrie

When I graduated 12+ years ago my GPA was ~2.8. I worked my tail off to increase my GPA to ~3.18 (80 cr of PB work of 3.91s, 3.83c) I was accepted DO this cycle with a 26Q. Best of luck... If I can do it, others should be able to!

After 13 years of my graduation with a BA in International Relations, and with a pretty decent job I decided to enter into Dental School. Like many cases people thought I was nuts but now after almost 2 1/2 years of pre-requisites I can say that every single sleepless night studying and working during the day finally paid off: I've been admitted to the entering 2012 class and I feel so happy and satisfied about my experience. Now I am in my late 30's with a family and with a bag full of dreams and I hope I can share what I learn in Dental School. No I am 4 years away from my dream career and I thank GOD for giving me this amazing opportunity to redirect the course of my destiny.

Congrats to you, sir. For both your determination to stick to your dream and service. Also, thanks for this story. Hopefully you'll come back before long and let us know of your acceptances

HOOAH MOTIVATOR, TOO EASY!!! Headed back next month to finish my prerequisities and apply for 2013. Everything you said is the truth, so let them NIT-PICK. Much success.

Navy Chief / Navy Medicine