For those who took NextStep FL after new scale...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedkid1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how did you do on your aamc scored in comparison to the Nextstep fl (new scale)?

I got
125 PS: ~51% correct
125 CARS: ~60% correct
126 BS: ~56% correct

which is kinda crazy. I was expecting 60%+ right to be considered a 125. Maybe the Nextstep exam is harder but just curious as how everybody else did on the AAMC scored who took Nextstep fls

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much!! That's dope!! Never knew that existed. Now I can really see how I am doing on Nextstep exams :)

So after looking at the spreadsheet do you guys think it is fair to say that the NS scores still underestimate (after the new scaling) your actual MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the underestimate high scorers (510+) and are inconsistent/overestimate with lower scorers (<505)

Did you get this score on NS FL 1?

yeah i got this on NS fl 1, but I made a lot of stupid mistakes on stuff I knew. I also found that I had A LOT more content review to do, so I bought the BR review books and have been doing practice passages from them as well as making flash cards. I am getting very comfortable now and will start taking practice fls again this week. I rescheduled my date to Sep 1st today because I know I need a lot more time with review. Want to score above a 505 on the real exam at least.
I ended with a 503 on NS fl 1 (125/125/126/127) a month ago.

going to be taking NS fl 3 and 4 before this month is over. So ill update this post!
Also will be taking the 3 Kaplan fls
as well as AAMC stuff

I've heard the underestimate high scorers (510+) and are inconsistent/overestimate with lower scorers (<505)

yeah I feel like if you are constantly getting over 505 on nextstep fls, you should be in good shape.
I'm gonna hope my one month of content review helped me a lot! when I start fls again

yeah I feel like if you are constantly getting over 505 on nextstep fls, you should be in good shape.
I'm gonna hope my one month of content review helped me a lot! when I start fls again
Sounds like a good decision, just don't neglect CARS and practice passages (best way to reinforce content)

What are your opinions on the P/S sections? I feel like there's quite a bit of obscure vocab being tested and some quite debatable logic as well.

What are your opinions on the P/S sections? I feel like there's quite a bit of obscure vocab being tested and some quite debatable logic as well.

Its good practice. The P/S on the real MCAT is convoluted and horrible with ridiculous theories and vocab. I still don't think they have gotten that section down considering how different the two one's I took were.

i scored between 501-507 on my NS exams, ill report back with my actual score but i think NS exams were most helpful for the bio section of the real exam since they are very experimental