For US student: University of Queensland Oshsner vs University of Queensland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.MG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1)Are there significant differences between the two programs for an American student, aside from going to New Orleans for rotations the last two years.

2) Does either give a student a better chance at an Australian internship should they decide to stay in Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go to UQ. Go to a school in the states that guarantee internship to both domestic and internationals.

UQ is a diploma mill and has no concern for its students. I repeat, do NOT attend UQ.

Disclaimer-I am referring to the 4 year MBBS not to the UQOchsner program, of which I have little familiarity.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to a school in the states that guarantee internship to both domestic and internationals.

What country is "the states"? Here in the US we don't have an "internship", nor is any postgrad training "guaranteed" in any way.

Of course, you were probably referring to another country, apologies if so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah looking back on my post it was not fully clear. I was referring to Australian states Victoria, WA, and SA which have exhibited self-restraint and logic in student enrollment and can provide capacity for all of its students.

Check out the QLD Health status report-there were over 1500 applicants for just over 700 spots.

qldking likes to make strange generalizations with rationalizations that don't hold up. If the concern is whether you could stay after graduation, indeed Vic and SA, along with ACT, are arguably the best options, but not for "self-restraint" but because they are the territories that are currently preferencing their own int'l students above out-of-state domestic students in their respective ballots. However, their int'ls are still below domestic students in those ballots, so int'ls could still end up without one of those jobs. WA, as the other states, on the other hand, has no such preferential treatment and therefore out-of-staters would be the ones blocking any int'ls there from getting a state-based internship (note that this has not been a problem [yet] in any state though, because any who haven't gotten a state-sponsored spot through its ballot has been able to get a Commonwealth spot in their state). Qld may in the near future give its int'l students preference as a defensive maneuver, and other states may decide to follow suit.

And as has been discussed ad nauseum on discussions involving qldking, his numbers example is utterly meaningless as Ballot stats always look ominous in the middle of the season but mean nothing until the beginning of the academic year (January).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users