For women who get married in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get married during med school and your name changes, does your transcript have both names on it or just the new one?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since it's a legal document, it should have your new name. However, this will be contingent on the school receiving correspondence from you regarding your name change.

Whatever you change your name to is how it will be printed. If you make your name hyphenated, it will hyphenate it. If not, it won't. Just remember to get your info in by whatever deadline the school has so that you get the change you want.

Not married, just know people who went through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It just shows the new name- but you might want to be careful changing it after signing up for boards but before taking them because you'll have change your name w/ comlex and usmle. They'll need proof you changed it, whereas if you change it before signing up for boards you'll only have to change it w/ your school.

--OR--
you could do like I did and not buy into that outdated "tradition" and keep your own!!

sorry, not really what you asked, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents....

--OR--
you could do like I did and not buy into that outdated "tradition" and keep your own!!

That was an awesome answer. I of course did follow that stupid tradition and it was a pain in the butt.

--OR--

I'm personally a fan of both of the two name approach, especially with the kids. Allows a little bit of family history to travel through. Getting married seems kind of pointless if the only indicator to other people you are married is a tiny little ring. I have no idea why it is suddenly considered outdated. I feel it is more of a residual of the ease and commonness of divorce and our hesitancy to commit to anything all the way out of fear of it blowing up in our face....which is understandable enough. (I'd be getting yelled at so much right now if I were back in my feminist lit. class)

I'm personally a fan of both of the two name approach, especially with the kids. Allows a little bit of family history to travel through. Getting married seems kind of pointless if the only indicator to other people you are married is a tiny little ring. I have no idea why it is suddenly considered outdated. I feel it is more of a residual of the ease and commonness of divorce and our hesitancy to commit to anything all the way out of fear of it blowing up in our face....which is understandable enough. (I'd be getting yelled at so much right now if I were back in my feminist lit. class)

Yeah, plus if people start to do this more and more, what's next for their kids? If Gloria Peterson-Lewis marries Joe Johnson-Steinem, what last name do they take? And more importantly, why that name? Or if it's hyphenated, why those and not the others? Just stick with the man's last name, for the sake of family and ease. I agree with your post.

I've heard of physicians being called either by their maiden name or hyphenated name in practice (maiden because that's what the piece of paper says; hyphenated if trying to place who it is if people are trying to figure out if they are talking about the same person) and name by marriage in personal relationships and family things. Kind of a professional different name if that makes any sense.