Forced to change state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tirekicker

Tooth Sleuth
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an HPSP student attending school out of state are you exempt from changing your residency (driver's license, vehicle registration, taxes, etc.) because you are military? I think, technically, you only qualify if you are on active duty, but you are, in a sense, performing your military duty.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't have to change it. I've been an Oklahoma resident ever since the Air Force stationed me at Tinker AFB in 2003. Oklahoma doesn't tax military pay and I plan to return after I retire, so I have no desire to change my state of residence. I've been in Nebraska for two years now, and haven't had any problems. Every once in a while, you get pulled over and a cop may ask about your out-of-state plates, but I just show them my military ID and they drop it.

As an HPSP student attending school out of state are you exempt from changing your residency (driver's license, vehicle registration, taxes, etc.) because you are military? I think, technically, you only qualify if you are on active duty, but you are, in a sense, performing your military duty.
It is important to look at the time in school and coming on active duty as an important time to select the "right state". Some states do not require you to pay state tax if you are in the military (or residents in general). These are states that it is great to be able to some how show a relationship with and become (or maintain) a resident in. Whether you stay in the military for 3-30 yrs - having no state tax taken out can be nice :)

So my advice is to look for legal ways to become a resident of that state. Whether it is where you go to school, where you are from, your spouse, or in the case of the Army, when you are doing OBLC (you can get drivers licencse and register to vote while you live there).