Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Foreign Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by ll248, 04.08.07.

1. Thanks to Crack the OAT
  1. ll248

ll248

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi.
    Do the schools accept foreign students, too?
    If they do, which school is more likely to accept them? Do they require higher stats?
    After foreign students graduate an optometry school, do they have an equal opportunity to get a job or open a private practice?
    Need some advice:) Thank you in advance.
  2. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member

Optometrist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Foreign applicants pretty much have equal opportunities at all of the school, except northeastern in Oklahoma, they do not accept foreign students at all.

However, after graduation, if you wish to remain and practice in the USA you must hold an employment visa (H1b I believe). Getting this visa requires that you have an employer that is willing to deal with all of the paper work and fees they are required to pay. So no, no immediate opportunity to open a private practice, or even hold a lease as an independent contractor at a commercial place like WalMart. You'll be restricted to empoloyment in private practice, commercial in states that allow OD's to be employed by non-OD's, employment in MD offices, veterans hospitals/clinics, and maybe teaching.
  3. ll248

ll248

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you for your help. One more question!
    Are there many international students who are attending OD schools? After I get an employment visa, am I allowed to open a private practice or should I have a greencard?
  4. IDoctor

IDoctor

Pre-Optometry
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    that's two questions =X
    I don't know much about the second question, but there are tons of Canadian students in the U.S. OD program. NECO itself is about 30-50% Canadian.
  5. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member

Optometrist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Some schools have tons of Canadians, my class is 22 of 148. There aren't many students from other countries though. My class has one from Tunisia.

When you are on an employment Visa you must remain employed with your sponsor and cannot work elsewhere on the side or start your own business, if you do and are caught, you could have your visa suspended and then you would be saying goodbye to life in the USA.

What country are you from?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal