foreign graduates of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesculapius1974

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...medical school such as UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS and wanting to practice in the US need to follow what steps (besides USMLE 1, 2, and 3) in order to establish residency?

how competitive was the application for residency?
what other hurdles does american citizens that graduated from university of santo tomas need to clear in order to begin practicing as a physician?

please help...

Members don't see this ad.

...medical school such as UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS and wanting to practice in the US need to follow what steps (besides USMLE 1, 2, and 3) in order to establish residency?

how competitive was the application for residency?
what other hurdles does american citizens that graduated from university of santo tomas need to clear in order to begin practicing as a physician?

please help...

The requirements that foreign trained medical doctors need to meet are the same regardless of where they studied (Canada and Puerto Rico being the only exceptions).

Do a search for "IMG" and "USMLE" a lot of your questions have already been answered.

...i did some searching on here regarding IMG and their chances at practicing MEDICINE in the US. however, if there is NO such difference between IMG and those that graduated here in the US...then WHY IS IT DISCOURAGED SO MUCH TO AVOID STUDYING MEDICNE OUTSIDE OF US if ultimate goal is to practice in the U.S.?

...i did some searching on here regarding IMG and their chances at practicing MEDICINE in the US. however, if there is NO such difference between IMG and those that graduated here in the US...then WHY IS IT DISCOURAGED SO MUCH TO AVOID STUDYING MEDICNE OUTSIDE OF US if ultimate goal is to practice in the U.S.?

I think you misunderstood me, please go back to my post. A foreign trained medical doctor or IMG (international medical graduate) is a doctor, regardless of nationality, who has a acquired a medical degree outside of the US, Canada or Puerto Rico.

Of course there is a difference between IMGs and graduates of LCME (http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm) schools. This goes without saying, just as there is a difference between a Pinoy-grad MD and an Indonesian-grad MD vying for the same position at a hospital in the PI.