Foreign Language: Latin vs. Greek

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xucardsfan08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still need to take 6 credits of language at my university (I am a Junior now).

Which language would be more beneficial, Latin or Greek? (Not for admissions, but to help in med school)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Latin absolutely.
I wish I had time to take that.

Spanish. Stop learning dead languages everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Um, neither will really help you in medical school. I suppose you mean with term roots in pathology and anatomy and such? The roots are not that difficult to learn and get the hang of...you don''t need a course to help you with that.

Take whichever one you find more interesting to learn for fun.

True, Spanish on the other hand, will come in handy in dealing with patients.

Spanish...This will not only help you in your rotations, but for the rest of your life once you are a doctor.

Ed

Spanish or what ever non-english speaking population is prevelent in the area you are going to school.

I went through a similar decision and decided on Latin. It's a dead language so most of the class centers on translation, mainly from Latin->English. It's a fascinating language and a useful basis for understanding the Romance languages, eg. Spanish, French. I went to Paris with a year of Latin could understand menus and signs. In terms of medical terms, ancient Greek may be more useful as according to this article (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=194697&blobtype=pdf) 3/4 of medical terminology is Greek, but it seems less applicable in real life.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7069

Um, neither will really help you in medical school. I suppose you mean with term roots in pathology and anatomy and such? The roots are not that difficult to learn and get the hang of...you don''t need a course to help you with that.

Take whichever one you find more interesting to learn for fun.

I just figure if I knew the roots before medschool, it would just make it a little easier. Since most of medical school is memorization, knowing the major roots will make it easier and faster to learn the words.

Spanish would be helpful, but I think Latin would help with that as well. I could always take an online Spanish course or a computer program to learn, too.

P.S. Nice avatar

Invest the effort a language class takes into a language that people actually speak. I vote for Spanish if there is no language that particularly interest you.

Then take a medical terminology class...

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest the effort a language class takes into a language that people actually speak. I vote for Spanish if there is no language that particularly interest you.

Then take a medical terminology class...

I don't think Spanish is that useful, unless of course you want to live in Spain.

The others pointed out Spanish as Hispanics have taken over as the largest minority group in the United States.

I don't think Spanish is that useful, unless of course you want to live in Spain.

Or the South and West. Besides English, it's the most useful language in the US. Granted there will probably almost always be a translator on call and a more unique language may make you stand out more. Spanish will be the one you have the most chance to use.

Either way, Latin and Greek sure as hell aren't useful no matter where you want to live...

Or the South and West. Besides English, it's the most useful language in the US. Granted there will probably almost always be a translator on call and a more unique language may make you stand out more. Spanish will be the one you have the most chance to use.

Either way, Latin and Greek sure as hell aren't useful no matter where you want to live...

Me thinks panda bear was kidding...

I have studied both Latin and Greek (my second major is ancient studies and I love it). I have more experience with Latin because I started in eighth grade, but Greek happens to be more encouraged at my university. In general, Latin is used for law, Greek for poetry. Greek is harder to learn than Latin because there are a ton of more grammar points to master, but it is less ambiguous and more beautiful.
You will find that studying ancient language is more useful than just learning the terminology. I don't expect you to but I hope you study the literature as much as you can.. the way I see it, if you want to be a doctor you should understand people. And if you want to study the human condition, in my opinion, you must start with the ancients. And of course, you can't really understand the ancients unless you read ancient texts in the original.
Studying ancient language will also give you an edge because of the analytical skills you will learn. Grammar in Latin and Greek is far more complex than in modern languages; you must analyze every part of the sentence to understand its meaning. If you master Latin (and especially if you become proficient in Greek) you will really understand language.
As to which to take.. medical terminology has derivatives from both languages. To get the full advantage you would need to study both. It would probably be easier for you to study Latin first.. but I strongly encourage Greek.

I still need to take 6 credits of language at my university (I am a Junior now).

Which language would be more beneficial, Latin or Greek? (Not for admissions, but to help in med school)

latin would be more beneficial. But how it will help you is not beneficial enough to justify the work it will take to do well in class. Latin is one of the hardest languages to learn.

I really enjoyed it though, so given the choice latin will be better.

Latin will also help you with other things, ie understanding spanish, or english grammar.

I vote for Latin. How else can you master phrases like these? ;)

Domino vobiscum. The pizza guy is here.
Sharpei diem. Seize the wrinkled dog.
Nucleo predicus dispella conducticus. Remove foil before microwaving.
Motorolus interruptus. Hold on, I'm going into a tunnel.
Bodicus mutilatimus, unemploymi forevercus. Better take the nose ring out before the job interview.
E Pluribus Tupac. Rap is everywhere.
Veni, vidi, Pesci. I came, I saw, I moidered da bum.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came; I saw; I stuck around.
Ignoramus microsoftis multa pecunia dat. Yeah, where DO I want to go today?
Sic semper tyrannus. Your dinosaur is ill.
No Quid Pro Quo. I'm Sorry, We're All Out of Quid.
Tempo fugit. I drove my Ford off a bridge.
Modem non carbarundum. I need a new modem.
Carpe dentum. Go soak your dentures.
E pluribus septum. Multiple nose piercings.

no question- latin. i took 5 years of latin.... One of the most valuable classes ive ever taken. Helped me in everything from bio to psych. So many medical terms are derived from latin- more so than greek i believe. Plus, greek (if i understand correctly), is quite a bit more difficult. Why pick the more difficult, if the other is more benefitial.. IMO

I have studied both Latin and Greek (my second major is ancient studies and I love it). I have more experience with Latin because I started in eighth grade, but Greek happens to be more encouraged at my university. In general, Latin is used for law, Greek for poetry. Greek is harder to learn than Latin because there are a ton of more grammar points to master, but it is less ambiguous and more beautiful.
You will find that studying ancient language is more useful than just learning the terminology. I don't expect you to but I hope you study the literature as much as you can.. the way I see it, if you want to be a doctor you should understand people. And if you want to study the human condition, in my opinion, you must start with the ancients. And of course, you can't really understand the ancients unless you read ancient texts in the original.
Studying ancient language will also give you an edge because of the analytical skills you will learn. Grammar in Latin and Greek is far more complex than in modern languages; you must analyze every part of the sentence to understand its meaning. If you master Latin (and especially if you become proficient in Greek) you will really understand language.
As to which to take.. medical terminology has derivatives from both languages. To get the full advantage you would need to study both. It would probably be easier for you to study Latin first.. but I strongly encourage Greek.

I definitely second the literature point..it's beautiful. And Catullus is highly enjoyable & pretty hilarious.

Bodicus mutilatimus, unemploymi forevercus. Better take the nose ring out before the job interview.

wow.
That's pretty cool.

Umm, none of those are correct but I get the jokes. Still, Latin has a lot of better (and funnier) quotes than those.

About the difficulty. Yes, you have to memorize more forms for Greek, but hey, memorizing shouldn't be a big deal to you, right? What makes Greek a bit easier is that one form of a word in Latin can mean a ton of different things. It's much more clear in Greek. And Homer is the greatest of the poets. And who wouldn't want to be able to read Hippocrates?

Hey, I speak Greek...but it's modern Greek. They'll probably teach you Ancient Greek or Byzantine Greek and you'll go to Athens one day and everybody will look at you like you're speaking some obscure, dying language...like Spanish.

I'm fluent in Spanish, and I'm also a classics double major: all I can say is that Spanish is a hundred times easier and a thousand times more useful than Greek or Latin. Yes, you will use Greek roots in anatomy, but honestly, it is far more practical to just learn anatomy in the first place. Also, I agree with an earlier poster that its a lot easier to take Latin before Greek; from my personal experience, I can't imagine how poorly I would have done in Greek had I not taken Latin first. However, I do agree that Greek poetry, especially Pindar (my favorite), is ineffable because English has nothing comparable to Greek lyric or epic poetry. In terms of Latin, you have the opportunity to read Cicero and Lucretius, and ultimately the opportunity to recite them and sound very well educated, especially during interviews

I'm fluent in Spanish, and I'm also a classics double major: all I can say is that Spanish is a hundred times easier and a thousand times more useful than Greek or Latin. Yes, you will use Greek roots in anatomy, but honestly, it is far more practical to just learn anatomy in the first place. Also, I agree with an earlier poster that its a lot easier to take Latin before Greek; from my personal experience, I can't imagine how poorly I would have done in Greek had I not taken Latin first. However, I do agree that Greek poetry, especially Pindar (my favorite), is ineffable because English has nothing comparable to Greek lyric or epic poetry. In terms of Latin, you have the opportunity to read Cicero and Lucretius, and ultimately the opportunity to recite them and sound very well educated, especially during interviews

I guess you have to do soemthing if chicks won't give you the time of day.

Interderum feror cupidinae partium magnarum Europae vincederum.

:smuggrin: (Pardon me if the spelling is incorrect, I haven't had Latin since my senior year of high school).

There's a community college nearby that offers a course in "Mexican". While I hear it's very similar to the long dying language "Spanish", it'll probably be more useful than Latin or Greek.
"Mexican". :laugh:

Latin will help you with understanding medical terms

I guess you have to do soemthing if chicks won't give you the time of day.

Useful Latin phrases when trying to pick up chicks:

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. - Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Nitimur in vetitum semper cupimusque negata. - We always strive for the things that are forbidden and we desire the ones we are denied.

Cur rides? Ridiculum non sum! - Why are you laughing? I'm not weird!

Visne saltare? Viam Latam Fungosam scio. - Do you want to dance? I know the Funky Broadway.

Veni, veni, veni Locamowae cum me. - Come on, come on, do the Locomotion with me.

Illiud Latine dici non potest. - You can't say that in Latin.

Subucula tua apparet. - Your slip is showing.

Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur! - Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!

Me humi proruas. Mi calces os. Aut infames nomen animos. Fac quidquid habes in animo, Sed, age, mel, nune parce calceis. - Well you can knock me down. Step on my face. Slander my name all over the place. Do anything that you wanna do. But uh-uh honey, lay off of my shoes.

Vidistine nuper imagines moventes bonas? - Seen any good movies lately?

Re vera, potas bene. - Say, you sure are drinking a lot.

Si vis amavi, ama! - If you want to be loved, love!

Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo. - Don't call me, I'll call you.

Vacca foeda. - Stupid cow.

Sic biscuitus disintegratum. - That's the way the cookie crumbles.

;)

There's a community college nearby that offers a course in "Mexican". While I hear it's very similar to the long dying language "Spanish", it'll probably be more useful than Latin or Greek.

Or French. I guess speaking French is useful but only if you want to live in a third world country like Camaroon, Cote D'ivoire, or Canada.

I've taken both. Take Greek.

Spanish will be the most useful, but 6 credits won't get you anywhere. I took through 202, and after only a year, I've forgotten almost everything. My vote is for Greek. Or even better, something out of the ordinary, like Russian.

no question- latin. i took 5 years of latin.... One of the most valuable classes ive ever taken. Helped me in everything from bio to psych. So many medical terms are derived from latin- more so than greek i believe. Plus, greek (if i understand correctly), is quite a bit more difficult. Why pick the more difficult, if the other is more benefitial.. IMO

Actually, I think most anatomy terms are derived from Greek. It doesn't matter whether you take Latin or Greek, though. The Greek-derived name of the muscle won't help you remember its innervation, blood supply, or function, which is what you actually get tested on. Most diseases are named after people (Marfan, Alzheimer, Down, Fanconi), so Greek/Latin won't help you there either.

Or you can learn Hmong, in case you ever get an epileptic patient from Laos.

I'm confused--I'm gay btw, maybe that's why

"I do agree that Greek poetry, especially Pindar (my favorite), is ineffable because English has nothing comparable to Greek lyric or epic poetry."

Uh, Okay. Then guys won't give you the time of day.

Seriously, unless you are fluent in ancient Greek, how would one know whether ancient Greek poetry is ineffable or not seeing as most of it has been translated through the filter of modern sensibilities? I have Mr. Knox's translation of the Illiad and the Odessy, for example, and while they tell me these capture the flavor of the original (whatever that is and from wherever their original source) even I can tell that they are imperfect expressions of Bronze age ideas.

I'm throwing the pretentious flag down on this play.

"I do agree that Greek poetry, especially Pindar (my favorite), is ineffable because English has nothing comparable to Greek lyric or epic poetry."

Uh, Okay. Then guys won't give you the time of day.

Seriously, unless you are fluent in ancient Greek, how would one know whether ancient Greek poetry is ineffable or not seeing as most of it has been translated through the filter of modern sensibilities? I have Mr. Knox's translation of the Illiad and the Odessy, for example, and while they tell me these capture the flavor of the original (whatever that is and from wherever their original source) even I can tell that they are imperfect expressions of Bronze age ideas.

I'm throwing the pretentious flag down on this play.

No language translates perfectly into another; and yes, my comments were a little pretentious, but they weren’t intentional. It seems that classics is inherently pretentious because it is essentially useless, and people who commit the time to study the subject are sensitive about the fact that they've wasted so many years on a futile pursuit

sensitive about the fact that they've wasted so many years on a futile pursuit

And how is this different from premeds? We are prepared to spend years learning the requisite knowledge to embark on a futile pursuit of preventing death...... :smuggrin:

No language translates perfectly into another; and yes, my comments were a little pretentious, but they weren’t intentional. It seems that classics is inherently pretentious because it is essentially useless, and people who commit the time to study the subject are sensitive about the fact that they've wasted so many years on a futile pursuit

I didn't say it was futile. I'm something of an amateur classicist myself. I've gone through two "Oxford Companion to Classical Studies" because I thumb through them so much (well, not lately secondary to residency). But I'm not afraid to admit that I find a lot of what I'm supposed to wax enthusiastic about incredibly boring...like Plato for example.

Spanish is definitely more useful on a day to day basis esp if you are thinking about practicing in a major city, the Southeast or Southwest.

I love the classics. For classical languages, Greek is more useful in medicine and Latin, more useful in law, for the roots of important words.

I'm not surprised that you don't like all of ancient Greek. De gustibus non disputandum. But you're judging a huge collection of literature based on a couple authors. I happen to love ancient philosophy and abhor war historians.. too bad my professors are obsessed with war historians. I still take the courses because they're improving my translation skills so I can read what I want on my own.
Also, keep in mind the historical context in which the texts were written. Homer isn't actually my favorite poet, but he was the greatest according to the ancients. Reading his work is important to understanding ancient culture. That may or may not interest you, and that's fine, but don't be so quick to criticize.

I'm not surprised that you don't like all of ancient Greek. De gustibus non disputandum. But you're judging a huge collection of literature based on a couple authors. I happen to love ancient philosophy and abhor war historians.. too bad my professors are obsessed with war historians. I still take the courses because they're improving my translation skills so I can read what I want on my own.
Also, keep in mind the historical context in which the texts were written. Homer isn't actually my favorite poet, but he was the greatest according to the ancients. Reading his work is important to understanding ancient culture. That may or may not interest you, and that's fine, but don't be so quick to criticize.

You know, I'm exactly the opposite. I like Thucydides and Caeser's writings on the Gallic wars and am bored to tears by the philosophers. My library, now that I think about it, is half military history. Still, even in their English translation most ancient writings are tough reads.

I would definitely go with Spanish. Why? It is a latin-based language, and you can gain some benefits from that. I speak both Portuguese and Spanish, and most of the latin works used in medicine can be well understood if you speak a romance language. As it was said before: Spanish is for life and Latin is already dead... :D

spanish so you can hit on the latinas

I disagree. You will not become proficient enough to understand ancient texts by taking the minimum language requirements at ANY university nor would you need to know these languages to understand the great authors who used Greek and Latin. This last attitude is part of the academic vanity common to some people who teach and understand dead languages; however, they do not hold a monopoly on knowledge and will be just as lost in translation as you are when you read English editions. Also, although Latin has some notably complex structures absent in English, I don't think you can really call it more complex. I think this may be more of that intellectual vanity expressing itself than fact. Latin is just a different language than English with its own difficulties and ambiguities.

Also, if you study Latin like I did, for 4 courses worth, you will not feel that you are tremendously more prepared for medical school. Many of the anatomical roots are cognates in English so you really may not learn a great deal more about these roots than you already know. However, I do agree that it can be rewarding to study Latin and I think that it will greatly improve your understanding of English and the structures of other Romance languages. This can also be achieved by studying Spanish, a more practical substitute. Choose based on your personal tastes.

Also, it would be worthwhile to note that living languages are taught as such, with more emphasis on speaking and writing than you would find in a Latin or Greek course. Like me, this may require too much effort and practice than you are willing to put forth, particularly if you are taking difficult science courses contemporaneously.

I can't believe some of the advice on SDN sometimes...

You know how much latin and/or greek you're going to see in med school? Almost zero. How much does it matter? Oh, you figured out the meanings of a few words here and there because you got the latin roots. Big flippin whoopdie do. Amygdala means almond in latin. Hippocampus means sea monster in greek. So that tells you where the brain structures are, what they do, etc... I'm with Mahler on this one. Some people invest alot of time learning things in undergrad or before. Just because you took alot of Physics doesn't mean it's ever going to be useful for 99.9% of people as physicians. This is the same crap. It gets rehashed in thread after thread.

The most useful thing you can do for yourself is take Spanish. You know how many people I see now trying to take medical Spanish for the first time having wished they took some level of it before? No, you won't be proficient after two courses, but you'll be on your way and able to continue. You're not going to run into medical latin or greek, because... Who speaks them? You going to Greece to practice medicine? You're almost certain to never use it and forget it.

I really don't understand what you all are going on about. So Spain Spanish and Latin American Spanish are a little different. Not only does it not matter very much to the intro student, but alot of your Spanish courses are taught by Latin Americans anyways.

I can't believe some of the advice on SDN sometimes...

You know how much latin and/or greek you're going to see in med school? Almost zero. How much does it matter? Oh, you figured out the meanings of a few words here and there because you got the latin roots. Big flippin whoopdie do. Amygdala means almond in latin. Hippocampus means sea monster in greek. So that tells you where the brain structures are, what they do, etc... I'm with Mahler on this one. Some people invest alot of time learning things in undergrad or before. Just because you took alot of Physics doesn't mean it's ever going to be useful for 99.9% of people as physicians. This is the same crap. It gets rehashed in thread after thread.

The most useful thing you can do for yourself is take Spanish. You know how many people I see now trying to take medical Spanish for the first time having wished they took some level of it before? No, you won't be proficient after two courses, but you'll be on your way and able to continue. You're not going to run into medical latin or greek, because... Who speaks them? You going to Greece to practice medicine? You're almost certain to never use it and forget it.

I really don't understand what you all are going on about. So Spain Spanish and Latin American Spanish are a little different. Not only does it not matter very much to the intro student, but alot of your Spanish courses are taught by Latin Americans anyways.

Not to mention that they teach ancient Greek at universities. People in Greece would look at you like you were speaking Eulopotamian. Ancient Greek is to modern Greek what Midieval German is to English.