Foreign LOR writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, pre-meds and ADCOM's!

I've done a lot of work for my physics professor, through both achieving A's in her courses and serving as her dutiful research assistant for a sociology of STEM project. An LOR from her would speak well of me. However, her English is not perfect. I've read and edited her writing for a journal publication and though her English is understandable, it is sometimes awkward (i.e. Odd sentence structures, over-using words like "the"). Her name is not a dead give away that she is from another country. So one of my concerns is that admissions committees will believe her opinion of me doesn't warrant spending time on a well written LOR, when that is not the case.

Would admissions committees frown on a such a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, pre-meds and ADCOM's!

I've done a lot of work for my physics professor, through both achieving A's in her courses and serving as her dutiful research assistant for a sociology of STEM project. An LOR from her would speak well of me. However, her English is not perfect. I've read and edited her writing for a journal publication and though her English is understandable, it is sometimes awkward (i.e. Odd sentence structures, over-using words like "the"). Her name is not a dead give away that she is from another country. So one of my concerns is that admissions committees will believe her opinion of me doesn't warrant spending time on a well written LOR, when that is not the case.

Would admissions committees frown on a such a letter?

We don't hold a faculty member's language skills against an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user