Foreign vet schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was hoping some people would be willing to share their gpa/experience and what not that have gotten into schools such as Ross and others that are overseas. I can't seem to find Ross's admission stats.

Members don't see this ad.

i was hoping some people would be willing to share their gpa/experience and what not that have gotten into schools such as Ross and others that are overseas. I can't seem to find Ross's admission stats.
One thing to remember about the Caribbean schools is that they are known for a higher drop-out rate than most other AVMA accredited vet schools around the world. They are suspected by many in the industries of accepting students that they believe will not finish, solely as a way to increase revenue. The students that do graduate get a great education and do well, so this isn't a negative comment about their education, only their business model.

edited to add this from the 2013 NY Times article: "Though Ross is rarely anyone’s first choice, even detractors say its educational standards are high and its graduates are impressive. But the commuting costs, the foreign setting and the faint stigma that attends education at profit-making institutions have made it a school of last resort.

If getting in is easy, staying in is surprisingly hard. About 20 percent of Ross’s first semester students won’t make it to graduation, say administrators, an exceptionally high rate of attrition. (At American schools, it’s typically closer to 2 percent.) About half of those students are bounced for poor academic performance. Dean Watson says most students flunk out early on, in the first and second semester. But some fail much later. In 2006, Diana Reyes was ejected in her sixth semester, leaving St. Kitts with $160,000 in debt and no degree." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...lling-demand-trap-new-veterinarians.html?_r=0

Last edited:
One thing to remember about the Caribbean schools is that they are known for a higher drop-out rate than most other AVMA accredited vet schools around the world. They are suspected by many in the industries of accepting students that they believe will not finish, solely as a way to increase revenue. The students that do graduate get a great education and do well, so this isn't a negative comment about their education, only their business model.

edited to add this from the 2013 NY Times article: "Though Ross is rarely anyone’s first choice, even detractors say its educational standards are high and its graduates are impressive. But the commuting costs, the foreign setting and the faint stigma that attends education at profit-making institutions have made it a school of last resort.

If getting in is easy, staying in is surprisingly hard. About 20 percent of Ross’s first semester students won’t make it to graduation, say administrators, an exceptionally high rate of attrition. (At American schools, it’s typically closer to 2 percent.) About half of those students are bounced for poor academic performance. Dean Watson says most students flunk out early on, in the first and second semester. But some fail much later. In 2006, Diana Reyes was ejected in her sixth semester, leaving St. Kitts with $160,000 in debt and no degree." http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...lling-demand-trap-new-veterinarians.html?_r=0
Do we know this isn't being confounded by students who just can't cope with being so far away from home (aka me had I gone to a foreign school), and are doing poorly due to that? I don't think all of the students who fail out do so because they came in with poor academic capabilities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know this isn't being confounded by students who just can't cope with being so far away from home (aka me had I gone to a foreign school), and are doing poorly due to that? I don't think all of the students who fail out do so because they came in with poor academic capabilities.
I'm sure there are many reasons -- it's an attrition rate, not a failure rate. But it still is worth keeping in mind, given that it is about 10x what it is in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there's a thread around here somewhere in which we discussed this situation..... Is this the same chick who got transferred/got kicked out of a Caribbean school and went to Virginia-Maryland and then sued them or something?

I don't know.......there was news recently about a student who transferred from the Antigua vet school to Virginia-Maryland (where she graduated), and she recently tried to sue Cornell's vet school for kicking her out after she lied about her dog and it bit a student. She transferred to the US school only because that Caribbean school shut down.

That's totes what I was referring to! Thank you. Obviously not the same person. Lol