Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Foreign Veterinary Graduates

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by rocibell, 04.28.06.

1. PA Vet

PA Vet

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    You are right. However, the number of states that approve PAVE is increasing. PA just joined the list couple of months ago. I wish there was a comparison table somewhere like how many students apply, how many pass, cost etc. Thanks.
  2. Zoecat

Zoecat

Post Doc
    Hi:
    I am also taking the CPE really soon. And I have not found the answer to that question either (how to differentiate the different gas caps in the abdominal evaluation of the cow). Do you mind e-mailing that file to me as well? My e-mail is zoecab@yahoo.com
    Thanks soo much. You have been of huge help with all those files you post.

3. iandvm

iandvm

Hi dvmjakish,
    you really are an inspiration to many foreign trained veterinarians. you mentioned that you are planning to make a website to guide other vets who are taking the process... how is it going along? I'm anticipating for that website to materialize. the link you posted are very helpful. I hope you can post more study materials that will guide us through the process. Currently, I'm preparing for navle spring 2009 test window. and trying to register for cpe exam.
    as for other vets taking bcse, the link that dvmjakish posted is more than enough to pass the exam plus the vet tech q/a mentioned.
    I hope anybody who pass navle and cpe can guide us on how to study for this test. and what specific details we need to master.
    thanks everybody for making this forum a very active and dynamic source of information.
    keep up the good work.
    Iandvm
  4. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sent it twice. yahoo telling methe e-mail is not valid. can you please check your e-mail posted here.
  5. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I'm very busy now with specialty exams. I will work on the website on Christmas break.
  6. dvm99

dvm99

Veterinarian
    is navle required in every state?
    Last edited: 02.04.09
  7. vetvet09

vetvet09

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    HI dvmjakish,I wish u did great in ur specialty exames,and had a wounderful christmas.I have aQ for u:in the surgery part,what is the best scruping method for the dog?as i see in the hospital iam shdowing in,they scrupe with chlorhexden first & alchol in the surgery room,but in google movies,they scrupe twice .1st ,in the preparation area with diluated betadine and 2nd in the surgery room sterily with diluted betaden and non diluted one.so what did u do in ur test?
    2-did u use the 3 clampe method technice in the test?and i know for the body wall ,we should use a simple interapted method in suturing,But what about the subcutenous layer ,did u use simple countinous or interupted for the test?
    3-for pain control after surgery,in this hospital they always use hydromorphen at 0.05 mg/kg sc q5h.what did u do in ur test?
    thanks in advance.
  8. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    HI dvmjakish,I wish u did great in ur specialty exames,and had a wounderful christmas.I have aQ for u:in the surgery part,what is the best scruping method for the dog?as i see in the hospital iam shdowing in,they scrupe with chlorhexden first & alchol in the surgery room,but in google movies,they scrupe twice .1st ,in the preparation area with diluated betadine and 2nd in the surgery room sterily with diluted betaden and non diluted one.so what did u do in ur test?

I can't tell you what did I do in my test. But I can tell you the right way to do these things:

The best way is to pre scrub with whatever they offer in the prep area (anesthesia area) , this to clean all the dirt. Then when dog on surgery table and in position. Use whatever they offer you, what best is scrubbing with chlorhexidine and then finished with betadine spry if avilable. So have everything open and ready as far as the scrubs materials and put on sterile gloves also use the sterile sponge clamp, don't use your hands."unless they don't offer the sponge clamp".
    This time you scrub from the central to the out side. So use whatever they give, usually two things. Start with one and finish with other. I would leave the betadine to the end.

2-did u use the 3 clampe method technice in the test?and i know for the body wall ,we should use a simple interapted method in suturing,But what about the subcutenous layer ,did u use simple countinous or interupted for the test?

You can use whatever technique you want. Two or three. They both work. The point is to get the whole ovary. Don't leave anything of it behind.
    The holding layer is the abdominal wall, "linea alba" so yes the best way is the interrupted. In recent study they found that there is no advantage of interrupted over continuous. But for your test just do the interrupted. The SQ and the skin can be continuous.

3-for pain control after surgery,in this hospital they always use hydromorphen at 0.05 mg/kg sc q5h.what did u do in ur test?
    thanks in advance.[/quote]

This is very tricky, every place offer different drugs. You can chose whatever they offer, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, morphine,….. Butorphanol, (remember Butorphanol will reverse the pure opioids so don't give it with other drugs).
    The dogs are not going to wake up. At least that how it was where I did it. But for your question you can use any of the above drugs. With the recommended dose and route.
    You don't usually have many options, but this is what I use from best to worse, best will be oxymorphone, then hydromorphone, then morphine, then , Butorphanol. Also you can use NSAIDs. (give pepcid IV to protect GI).
    Last edited: 12.27.08
  9. vetvet09

vetvet09

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks dvmjakish,i dont mean it that way.all my concern to do the task right in the test situation.thats why i ask about ur way in the test.thanks for time& efort
  10. vetvet09

vetvet09

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks dvmjakish,i dont mean it that way.all my concern to do the task right in the test situation.thats why i ask about ur way in the test.thanks for time& effort
  11. lidija

lidija

Non-Student
    hello,
    I need a advice; I've been reading this forum for a some time and found your thoughts very rational. .... Do you think it is still possible to pass all those exams if I graduated vet.15 y ago(no practice after graduation), and only when I came to USA(5y ago) and after those years of working as a vet.assistant , I started thinkink of how to get my degree back here, in USA. I even recently wrote to illinois vet. school to ask if there is any exception I could repeat a vet.course. ... No answer yet...
  12. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Yes, and yes:thumbup:. you just have to believe in your self. and you have to start. What are you afraid of? losing a 1000$!!!, it is worth it.
    If you don't try, you will never know:cool:.
  13. kayDVM

kayDVM

Veterinarian
    This is just to wish all foreign vets. a merry xmas and a happy new year.
    2009 will be a prosperous year for us all.
    happy holidays.
  14. lidija

lidija

Non-Student
    I think if I had a strong (very strong) passion about it I would've started doing it much earlier,and I really hate that feeling of uncertainty when it comes to the point that either to start and see from there(may be I am just afraid,righ?) or to quit assistant job as it is not what I really enjoy doing... Anyways,thank you for the great message,feels nice to have a support;also I wish you and everybody else good luck ,courage,passion and love for everything you do in 2009.
  15. kayDVM

kayDVM

Veterinarian
    happy new year
  16. vetvet09

vetvet09

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi,dvmjakish,for some resones ,i lost the filles u send it to me.if u have chance,could u please send it to me (the horse,and the bovine,drug formulary)
    thanks
  17. hashem703

hashem703

SDN 2+ Year Member
    dear dvm jakish

how are you doing,hope you are okay

i have 2 Qs hope you help me find the answers about them

1. is there a special type of visa required to work in a vet clinic or an emergency center
    2. what about the vet tech license exam,dates... fees...success rates
    basically i want to know about it

thank you so much for your time
    best regards
  18. DAVMD

DAVMD member

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :)Hi There,
    It does sounds just like me. So just so you know Lidija, you are not alone. I felt the same way few years back. Even worse, I could not find any good info source regarding whole process. But luckily, I found this site and that was huge help and encouragement to me ever since. I was considering changing profession and maybe get into the human medicine field, but after few thoughts about all that time I had invested in this profession, I decided not to give up easily. I have worked as a vet assistant and technician for more than for six years now, I am, just like you, not satisfied anymore with what I do, and more importantly, what kind of life style I can afford by doing this. So as you can see there different ways to motivate yourself. Wherever it works for you! Wish you best luck to you and everybody on this forum.:xf:
    DAVMD
  19. BrazilVet

BrazilVet

Veterinarian
    I also have been working as a technician for 5 years now. I moved to the USA after finishing college, so I have no working experience. I really want to get my license to work here, but I'm not sure how to prepare for the hands on test, since I can't afford to stop working. But it's good to hear fellow doctors say it can be done. Thank you.
  20. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No just work visa, or green card.
    I have mentioned this before.The law has changed you are no longer able to get vet tech license without going to vet tech school for two years in the U.S. I'm not sure if this law is in all over the states but I think it is.
    Sorry,.
    I recommend you work as assistant if you want experience.
  21. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Yes it can be done. I never stopped working while studying. I took vacations just before the exam to be able to read everything one more time. I used the weekends and the holidays also I studied sometimes after come back from work. I used my day off to ride along with equine and bovine vets.

It will take sometime but it's easy if you try.
  22. hashem703

hashem703

SDN 2+ Year Member
    dear dvmjakish

is working as a vet assistant need any certificates ??
    does this job give any money or it's for free?

thanks alot
    with best wishes
  23. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No need for anything. You can get certified if you want. but it doesn't make any difference.
    Yes this job will pay, it will be between 8-15$ /hr. deppened on the area. If you want to learn better and earn more you should work at a specialty practice.
  24. subrata

subrata

Veterinarian
    I recently joined in this forum to keep contact with all of you guys who are veterinary graduates from different countries and planning to become a licenced veterinarian in US/Canada. How is going everything? My CPE is in July 2009 but I am working as a veterinarian in Ontario Canada under special licence. Let me know if anyone wants to know anything about this.
    thanks
    subrata
  25. hashem703

hashem703

SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks alot for your time dvmjakish

but it seems that the vet assistant needs a work prmit ,i think this is the main problem :(
  26. fishtail

fishtail

Veterinarian
    Hello, everyone
    I have been read the forum for long time and it is a great place .
    I am trying to go back to veterinary medician. Things not work smoothly:confused::confused::confused:, I find it is hard to find a job like vet tech/assistant. In my neighborhood, very few jobs come out (mainly I search website).
    How do you find the first job in vet hospital . Any sugeestion or ideas , appreciated. :love::love::love:
    Thanks
  27. CamVet

CamVet

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi Subrata,

I am a UK based vet, considering enrolment for the ECFVG program. I don not have a green card and before I enrol I would like to find out how easy it is to get a job and workpermit in the USA once one has passed the exams. Can you explain how you obtained this special licence? Do you know how I can obtain a copy of the CPE manual before paying all the exam fees?
    Thanks very much for your help

CamVet
  28. DAVMD

DAVMD member

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, I would love to know what kind of requirements over there in order to do whatever you are doing? I was considering taking preparatory course for CPE in Canada, I know it is less expensive over there. So if you could share with all of us what kind of requirements and exam you had to pass, that would be very much appreciative.
    Thanks a bunch and very best luck!
    DAVMD:)
  29. CURLYVET

CURLYVET

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi, everybody. I'm a veterinarian graduated in 2005 in Lithuania, East-north Europe. Worked in small animal hospital in native country, later Finland, and Czech Republic. Now working in Lithuania at Emergency small animal clinic in Vilnius. i am going to go to US. Can I do toefl exam in my country? Or only in US? 'course I know ECFVG must receive scores of toefl from ETS -Educational Testing Service only. Thanks for answering.
  30. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wish you guys make some effort to use the google search. yes you can
    here is the link.
    http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.c...eflType=&redirect=&t_country1=group_Lithuania
  31. CURLYVET

CURLYVET

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi, Karim, i am a vet from Lithuania. I am going to go to US. i will take a toefl too. Did u work as an vet assistant in US right now? Which city are u in?

32. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi CamVet,
    are you licensed to practice veterinary medicine (veterinary surgeon) in the UK? or you are licensed elsewhere and live in UK?
  33. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    there is a big demand for vet techs and assistants. you have to use the internet to your advantage. every state has local veterinary organizations that usually has lots of listings. also see the local news paper, ,,,,ets.
    for example I live in WA state, we have the WSVMA.org here is the link where people list jobs
    http://careers.wsvma.org/search/results/

you should find the same thing in all states??

also in WA state news paper here is the link.
    http://jobs.nwsource.com/careers/jo...tates;sortBy=relevance;pageSize=20;view=Brief

also use yahoo job link,.....
  34. CURLYVET

CURLYVET

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  35. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    no difference but I think the IBT will be the only option very soon.
  36. DAVMD

DAVMD member

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi CURLYVET(labas "veterynoriau":))
    Yes, definitely you can take it in Lithuania, but keep in mind that they(ECFVG) have the rule, that your test results are good only for 2 years, so lets say if you, for any reason will not do step 3 in 2 year, or(God forbid) it would take you longer that 2 year to do it, you would have to retake TOEFL again. I would advise to take TOEFL as close as possible to your other exam. Before you enter USA, make sure that you have your all LVA(Veterinary Academy of Lithuania - vet school) stuff(diplomo ir pazymiu) translated and notarized, it will save you a lot of time and money to. So welcome to the forum and good luck!
    Sekmes!:xf:
  37. fishtail

fishtail

Veterinarian
    Hi dvmjakish ,
    Thanks for your information.:bow:
    I read throught the whole files and have a question. Does anyone intrested in talking about some clinical cases and the knowlege that important for both clinical and board.:hello:
  38. CamVet

CamVet

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Hi dvmjakish,

I am a member of the RCVS and licensed to work in the UK. I have worked in small animal practice in the UK for 7 years. Because I graduated in Ghent, Belgium which is not accredited by AVMA, I would still need to do the exams. I am considering enrolment for the exams, but do not know what my chances are to obtain a work permit after I have passed the exams. Do you know if there are opportunities for me to find a job in the US without a green card?
    Have you done the CPE yet?

Kind Regards,

CamVet
  39. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes I have done the CPE, I obtained my Vet license last July.
    Are you a UK or Belgium citizen? this will make it very easy for you.
    you will need a work permit, you can obtain this when you get hired by employer. If you are a UK or Belgium citizen then you can come to the states without a visa and stay for 3 months. (Visa waiver program)
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHe...tries participate in the Visa Waiver Program?

this will help you find job. also you can get a student visa to start with by applying for internship or residency. since you are RCVS you can get internship or residency this usually don't pay much 23-37 K.
    getting a student visa is much easier and faster. work visa are limited to 50000 a year and take 1-2 years to get also cost 3000$ if you hire a lawyer. if you can come to US as student and then you can do the work visa after that while you are student.

I was thinking to register with the RCVS, one day I like to go and work in the UK. How come you want to come to the US? isn't UK a good place to work and live?
  40. CamVet

CamVet

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ahh that's interesting, I checked on some of the websites for residency programs, some of them have lower entry requirements than others. I am interested in small animal surgery. Do you know if accreditation/licencing is generally necessary when you want to do a residency in this speciality? Do you enjoy working as a vet in the US? How are the pay and working conditions? I heard you get paid relatively more than in the UK. How does the salary compare to doctors and dentists?
    Being a vet in the UK is pretty good. There is a shortage of vets so it would be easy for you to find a job here, or you could work as a locum and travel.
    My husband is a software engineer so he would have good career opportunities in California, also it would be nice to be somewhere sunny and warm for a change.
  41. rocibell

rocibell New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hi everybody,
    I am looking for a serious study partner who is taking BCSE test next March. I am pretty advanced in my studies but I need somebody to have a chat 2-3 times a week to discuss study material. I think discussing what you have studied makes the study/learning process better and faster. Please send me a note (serious people only).
    Thank you and have a good study!
    Rocio
  42. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No it's not required but after you get the specialty board certification you still need to go through the ECFVG before you can practice. I have met a vet from Germany who was in his last year as surgery resident and he was studying for the NAVLE.
    pay is always related to experience. a new grad usually start at 55-65K a year and work the way up. Doctors and dentist get pay more than that as start 90-100K. lots of vet board certified surgeons make 150 K a year though. I work in a surgical clinic and our surgeons make plenty for them and all staff.

I was trying to do Internal Medicine-Neurology residency but I found out that I need to do 1 year internship first then I have to try to get in, this might take several years because of high number of application. So for you I think the internship is good so you can put your foot in the US and start working while you fix a job with work visa. If they like you where you do internship then they will hire you.
    California is nice but a very expensive place. your husband must make enough money for you both in the beginning.
  43. JDVM

JDVM

Veterinarian
    to Rocibell;
    check your mail box
  44. dmendoz

dmendoz

Veterinarian
    Hello everyone,

I have been a silent fun of this great forum. I am a graduated vet from South America who has been treating to find a job as a technician in USA via the Internet, from my desk in my country. My plan is to get a job and then take the exams later. I have received many mails of vets and clinics and even a couple of job offers...Unfortunatelly, none of those offers have became real.

In my case, I have a wife and a daughter and can not go with a tourist visa or student visa to engage a position, as have been advised. Besides, my finances are so tight to travel and just for trying to catch up something. I consider to my self as a good vet in terms of the reality in my zone and country... but all of you know that practising in USA or Canada is a world of difference.

I know many states are doing the life harder to foreing vets and making that their veterinary degrees be not a valid programme to sit the Veterinary Technician Examinations to get license or certificate as a technician and so, better salaries. I see time is going fast, laws are going harder, examinations more complicated and strict, and I am still here dreaming with just a posibility.

Anyone have knowledge of someone hired being in overseas?

I did not want to be pessimistic, just wanted to share my experience.
    cheers
  45. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you for your input. Yes I was hired before I leave my country. My English language was very poor, before I talk on the phone I had to prepare what I ranted to say on paper so I can read it.
    I did not know any one in the U.S and I did everything through the internet and couple of phone calls. My advantage was being single and have to take care of my self only.
    it's not easy but it is possible. you just have to knock on the right door at the right moment.
  46. CamVet

CamVet

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi Dmendoz,

Sorry to hear you are having I hard time trying to find a job. I have not been in exactly the same position as you are but have experience finding a job abroad when I moved from Belgium to England. Generally employers do not want to invite people over from abroad for an interview, because they know how much effort and cost it is to you and they will feel guilty if they decide not to hire you. The best way to do this is to plan 1 or 2 weeks to go over to the US and arrange as many interviews as possible. What I did was to phone clinics with a job vacancy and ask lots of information about the job and the clinic. I explained my situation and said that I would be doing some other interviews in that particular week. I asked if they were happy to see me for an interview that week as I was in the neighbourhood anyway. It helps to speak to people on the phone as they can hear you are keen to work and able to speak english.
    Hope this helps :)
  47. Payar

Payar

Veterinarian
    hello everyone how you all doing ,i hope everyone doing alright ,
    I am a person like you i had my bachelor degree 5 years college out of US in Baghdad University /Iraq .at 2006 and im living currently in US and i have been asking around looking ,searching i couldnt find anywhere gives me confidant more than this website and i really grateful for every single body putting effort and share information to help other people out there who they desperately looking for it .
    im planning to enroll in ECFVG .Some time soon in future and im worry so much i feel like i forgot most of my info. that i had in college and never worked as a vet. after graduation and i feel guilty to be away and have distance from it at the same time i hope this is gonna be my 1st step to improve myself in this field and be a Vet .
    i am happy to find this website and there is great active members in here doing their best to help others out
    i just wonder if anyone pass the all 4 steps with ECFVG can work as a vet . or not ?? if not whats the further step will be ?? what about if i want to get my specialty in small animals ..what it takes me to do it ??
    look forward to hear from you back
    Sincerely,

Payar
  48. dvmjakish

dvmjakish

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes, once you pass the 4 steps then you can get license and practice. most State will required a state exam which mostly is an open book exam. they send it to you to your house with the book. you answer the questions and send it back. this is to inform you of the state laws of veterinary medicine. it's easy. at this point you are a vet who can practice in the U.S.

There is no small animal specialty. once you are licensed then you can practice whatever you want. Small or large animals.
    If you want to be specialize then it will be Surgery, neurology, oncology, pathology, internal medicine, lab animals, radiology, anesthesiology, cardiology,...Etc..this specialties usually starts with internship and then 3-4 years residency.
    lets get started, shall we !.
  49. salem

salem salhan

Veterinarian
    Hello everybody
    thank u verry much for this forum it's so helpfull ,
    right now I'm still reading the last comments quote in this forum
    really it's amazing what you are doing guys thank you very much
    I have some questions if I didn't find the answers I will contact u soon.
  50. CURLYVET

CURLYVET

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh, DAVMD, you even can speak lithuanian, it's a big surprise to me. maybe you have some relation with Lithuania? and you know LVA, or maybe saw it in a list of schools? many thanks for advice, yes I already have translations of diploma and pazymiai. yes u are right toefl i must do as close as possible to step 3. i know it is valid 2 yr only.but really say it - where do u know "labas veterinoriau, sekmes"????:)

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal