Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think everybody should do like that: start to work as vet's assistant or technician and during your job learn your practical skills and prepare for NAVLE. but a question is it enough technician's or assistant's (i mean with no licencie) salary to stay and to pay all fees for examination?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently joined in this forum to keep contact with all of you guys who are veterinary graduates from different countries and planning to become a licenced veterinarian in US/Canada. How is going everything? My CPE is in July 2009 but I am working as a veterinarian in Ontario Canada under special licence. Let me know if anyone wants to know anything about this.
thanks
subrata
I would like to know everything about il.
Thank you for your help
[email protected]

I think everybody should do like that: start to work as vet's assistant or technician and during your job learn your practical skills and prepare for NAVLE. but a question is it enough technician's or assistant's (i mean with no licencie) salary to stay and to pay all fees for examination?

Yes, I can tell you for fact that it is enough. It is much easier if you are single, but even if you are married it is still doable. Most important is to start somewhere and once you have stepped in one hospital, other will open door for you no problem. I know that lithuanian guys are hard workers and often overachievers to. Do not worry about money. At the beginning it's going to be a little bit tough, but "karcios saknys, saldus vaisiai" fight?! Very best luck!
:cool::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, DAVMD, you even can speak lithuanian, it's a big surprise to me. maybe you have some relation with Lithuania? and you know LVA, or maybe saw it in a list of schools? many thanks for advice, yes I already have translations of diploma and pazymiai. yes u are right toefl i must do as close as possible to step 3. i know it is valid 2 yr only.but really say it - where do u know "labas veterinoriau, sekmes"????:)
Sveikas Zmogau(hi man),
Yes, I am, just like you, from the same country - vardu LIETUVA. I'v been here for a while and right now I am working on my license stuff trough ECFVG. It is a bit challenging for me, cause right after my graduation from LVA, I had my own practice for a few years as a large animals vet and then I haven't been in practice for a while. So some stuff I have forgotten and some stuff, especially small animals, I had to learn from zero. Anyway, I hope this forum is helpful to as well as to all of us. I found this only 2 years ago, I wish it would have happened earlier. But or well, better later than never, right!
Good luck!
DAVMD:)

hello there
thank you for reply my earlier questions that was so great from you
i wonder if ECFVG will be ok with just transcript thats the only prove i have from my college its all the degrees and materials for all the 5 years i had becuase it mention graduation certification required so i dont know is they accept just the transcript or no ??
let we say if someone pass the step 1 and 2 . is the ECFVG will schedule him for the step 3 ?? and same question for step 4 ?? so the point is.. is the place and time of the test gonna be scheduled by ECFVG ???!! or its up to the person himself
if its up to the ECFVG ..how long you have for step 3 and how long you have for the step 4 CPE ???
i will be grateful to know the answers for those things is my concern

thank you for you time and considrations

Sincerely,

Payar

Hi, Your answers are in BLUE

hello there
thank you for reply my earlier questions that was so great from you
i wonder if ECFVG will be ok with just transcript thats the only prove i have from my college its all the degrees and materials for all the 5 years i had becuase it mention graduation certification required so i dont know is they accept just the transcript or no ??

No you will also need to prove that you have been graduated.

let we say if someone pass the step 1 and 2 . is the ECFVG will schedule him for the step 3 ?? and same question for step 4 ?? so the point is.. is the place and time of the test gonna be scheduled by ECFVG ???!! or its up to the person himself

No, Every time you will do a step then you will register and pay for the next step. you send a letter and check and say that you would like to register for the X exam. then when you are approved they will send you a letter and tell you how to sign up for the exam. every state has many locations to do the tests (Toefl, NAVLE, BCSE) so you go online to the link they will give you and you enter your state and city and then you find the best location then you decide on the date and time. this all is up to you when to do.
as far as the CPE same thing , after you send the request and the money they will send you letter with multible locations and dates to do the test . you check the places that you want and the date you want and mail it back to them.

if its up to the ECFVG ..how long you have for step 3 and how long you have for the step 4 CPE ???

So, No it's up to you to do the exam whenever you want.

i will be grateful to know the answers for those things is my concern

thank you for you time and considerations

Sincerely,

Dear Friends,
Thank you for your friendship request and private questions. I have disabled these options in my account. I'm happy to answer your question in this forum to the best of my knowledge where everyone can read it. This way everyone can benefit from the information.

I'm so glad I've found this site and would like some help form everybody
I'm also a foreign vet, I don't think I would like to enroll an ECFVG or PAVE
I know there are some vets who work for a Universities, phamacutical companies or lab research
anyone have an idea how to get the job? or anyone know someone who can help me get a job?
I did a lot of job hunting online but it's like finding a small fish in the ocean!!!
any idea would help
thanks

dear dvmjakish ,
thanks for the answers that was helpfull
the transcript i was talking about the one i have its been approved by the college and the university i graduated from with full details its not just a simple paper with degrees on it its even been approved by the countey foreign affairs minister i dont know still not enough ? if not what else i should get from my original college if you can mention that with details please ??
if you take BCSE IN STEP 3 Dose that means you dont have to take NAVLE anymore its really kind of confusing for me ??

might you know Kansas state university offers to prepare the vets like us for CPE within 12 weeks classes includs 4 phases BUT its all upon the person him/her self as far as the expenses and those 12 weeks classes costs a huge amount of money ..would you recommand that if someone can effort that money ???
take care and thanks for the follow up

sincerely,

Payar

Last edited:
dear dvmjakish ,
thanks for the answers that was helpfull
the transcript i was talking about the one i have its been approved by the college and the university i graduated from with full details its not just a simple paper with degrees on it its even been approved by the countey foreign affairs minister i dont know still not enough ? if not what else i should get from my original college if you can mention that with details please ??

When I applied for the ECFVG I had both transcript and a graduation certification. You can call or e-maill them and ask.

if you take BCSE IN STEP 3 Dose that means you dont have to take NAVLE anymore its really kind of confusing for me ??

Since last year the Navle is no longer part of the ECFVG program. After you finish the program or after you finish the step 3 you can do the NAVLE at that point. Sorry I didn't mention this in my last responce.
So NAVLE is required and it can be done any time after tyou do step 3. I recommend doing it after Step 3 because it help you in prepration for the CPE

might you know Kansas state university offers to prepare the vets like us for CPE within 12 weeks classes includs 4 phases BUT its all upon the person him/her self as far as the expenses and those 12 weeks classes costs a huge amount of money ..would you recommand that if someone can effort that money ???

sincerely,

This is very helpful if you have the money. But you can do without. I did. I could never afford that option.
The only thing you need to do is just work in a good vet clinic so you can see and do things. it will give you the same experience except you get paid for doing it. I understand that it is difficult to find job nowadays. But it is the most logical option. First make your way to the US legally then it will get easier.

hello there
yes now it makes more sense to me about the NAVLE
so let me get this straight we already know what ECFVG required documents
what about NAVLE requirement documents ???
the examination wise . is it like BCSE or its harder?? as i know the questions will be on the same materials and multiple answer questions or pretty close from BCSE
do you know you have to do this NAVLE in the state that you want to practice in or you just have to do it once and thats it ?? as i know you cant practice as a vet without NAVLE license you . if you can fill my curiosity i will be grateful
and it will be nice from you to refer to which books i can get that will cover the most materials as far as BCES and NAVLE ,
oh by the way im living in US already legally but there is a long journey ahead still so we must start it somewhere , somehow and make it happens BUT always IT will be easier with you guys help and support
THIS FORUM OPENED UP MY HOPES SO I WILL ALWAYS BE SUPPORTING IT AND FEEDBACK AS LONG AS I HAVE A BIT TIME FOR IT
GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE

Sincerely ,

Payar

hello there
yes now it makes more sense to me about the NAVLE
so let me get this straight we already know what ECFVG required documents
what about NAVLE requirement documents ???

Only required document is passing step 3. once this happens you contact ECFVG and tell them to send confirmation to the Department of Health or State veterinary board/ or whoever in charge of this in the state you live in. at the same time contact this people too in your state and tell them you want to do the NAVLE. you will send a letter requesting this. once all paper work done. they will add you to the list of .eligible. people and you can go to the website (they will tell you how) and sign up for the day , time and location. also pay the fee.

All this steps are easy and you will know about them step by step. don't worry about this details. it will come to you.

the examination wise . is it like BCSE or its harder?? as i know the questions will be on the same materials and multiple answer questions or pretty close from BCSE

It is much harder than BCSE. a sample questions and actual sample exams are avilable to do & try and see how good you are . all this are on the NAVLE website.

do you know you have to do this NAVLE in the state that you want to practice in or you just have to do it once and thats it ?? as i know you cant practice as a vet without NAVLE license you . if you can fill my curiosity i will be grateful

you can do the Navle in any State. it is one time exam.

and it will be nice from you to refer to which books i can get that will cover the most materials as far as BCES and NAVLE ,

this Question has been answered several times before on this Fourm. use the serch option to find them.

oh by the way im living in US already legally but there is a long journey ahead still so we must start it somewhere , somehow and make it happens BUT always IT will be easier with you guys help and support
THIS FORUM OPENED UP MY HOPES SO I WILL ALWAYS BE SUPPORTING IT AND FEEDBACK AS LONG AS I HAVE A BIT TIME FOR IT
GOOD LUCK FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE

Sincerely ,

I'm so glad I've found this site and would like some help form everybody
I'm also a foreign vet, I don't think I would like to enroll an ECFVG or PAVE
I know there are some vets who work for a Universities, phamacutical companies or lab research
anyone have an idea how to get the job? or anyone know someone who can help me get a job?
I did a lot of job hunting online but it's like finding a small fish in the ocean!!!
any idea would help
thanks

Hello! I am new on the forum, but as much as I can see we are in similar situation. I also didn`t want to enroll in ECFVG or PAVE since I have masters and PhD and I thought that would be enough for finding job in some research lab. I also thought that I might find job in FDA (through some fellowship program), but so far I didn`t have any luck (it`s been more than 1 year since I started to look and I have more than 70 applications behind me).Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am new on the forum, but as much as I can see we are in similar situation. I also didn`t want to enroll in ECFVG or PAVE since I have masters and PhD and I thought that would be enough for finding job in some research lab. I also thought that I might find job in FDA (through some fellowship program), but so far I didn`t have any luck (it`s been more than 1 year since I started to look and I have more than 70 applications behind me).Good luck!

FDA or other Federal Jobs www.usajobs.com must be a US citizen or in some cases a green card holder. also must have a DVM license in the USA. Thy will not hire non-USA graduates.

Dear WSVMA Members:
The WSVMA held its quarterly Executive Board meeting on January 22, in Olympia. Among the topics discussed were the issues of veterinary technician testing and licensing.

Currently Washington still allows non-academically trained veterinary technicians to be licensed. Non-academically trained veterinary technicians are those who have completed five years’ practical experience under a licensed veterinarian’s supervision. It is explained in the law as follows:

*************************_________________________________________________________

RCW 18.92.128 Veterinary technician license – Rules
(1) The board shall issue a veterinary technician license to an individual who has:

(a) successfully passed an examination administered by the board; and

(b)(i) successfully completed a post high school course approved by the board in the care and treatment
of animals; or

(ii) Had five years' practical experience, acceptable to the board, with a licensed veterinarian.

(2) The board shall adopt rules under chapter 34.05
RCW identifying standard tasks and procedures that must be included in the experience of a person who qualifies to take the veterinarian technician examination through the period of practical experience required in subsection (1)(b)(ii) of this section, and requirements for the supervising veterinarian's attestation to completion of the practical experience and that training included the required tasks and procedures.
*************************_________________________________________________________

The window of opportunity for non-academically trained veterinary technicians sitting for the license examination under (b)(ii) above is closing. Effective December 2014, non-academically trained candidates will no longer be allowed to sit for the exam. The examination will only be available to those technicians who have successfully completed an approved program accredited by the AVMA. Technicians and veterinarians in Washington have differing opinions as to whether or not this change will be positive.

The board examination currently used in Washington and spoken of in the RCW above is a national exam that is used throughout the U.S. and Canada. It is owned by American Association of Veterinary State Boards. Essentially, all states using this proprietary exam understand and agree to the following from AAVSB:

“The Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) is owned and administered by AAVSB. The examination is given twice each year, in January and June. The VTNE is constantly updated, reviewed, and re-evaluated item by item so that it remains a valid tool useful in the evaluation of candidates for licensure.”

Despite Washington law saying it will allow people to sit for the test under (b)(ii) above, by December 2014 they will not be allowed to take the only test that has been available to them because the test owners won’t allow it.

Now for the inevitable “what if” questions:

• What if Washington said, “Too bad, we’re going to let them sit for the test when it is given in our state because that’s our law? The answer is AAVSB can and will most likely not sell the state an examination. In effect, all of our potential technicians would be unable to sit for the examination.

• What if they take their test and go away? Can’t Washington prepare its own test and administer it to whoever they want? The answer is yes, Washington could do that and that idea has been considered. Preparing a competent, non-infringing test is very time consuming and costly. Conducting that testing and having to score it, announce results, maintain records, etc., again takes another level of administration at what is an unacceptable expense. Furthermore, if Washington did prepare and administer its own test, there will be no ability for Washington licensed technicians to seek licensure in other states without retaking the AAVSB test. As it is now, non-academically trained veterinary technicians licensed in Washington do not have the option of seeking licensure in some states because of their lack of academically-based training.

• Wouldn’t other states grant our licensed technicians reciprocity? At this point no, but they could. Seeking reciprocity is again costly, time consuming, and requires constant stewardship beyond the human and fiscal resources available or projected to become available in the foreseeable future.

• I know other states have developed their own test, can’t we just use theirs? Yes, such an arrangement could be made and again it will take a lot of time and money to ensure the test is valid and meets Washington’s needs. And once again, the test would lack the empowerment of reciprocity.

• What is the WSVMA doing about all this? Although the WSVMA Executive Board regrets it cannot change the upcoming contractual ineligibility of non-academically trained veterinary technicians, it still has an obligation to ensure that a viable test remains in place for academically trained veterinary technicians. A vote was taken during the most recent board meeting to support a statutory change in RCW 18.92.128 eliminating the category of (b)(ii) as an avenue to sit for the examination. Such a change would be consistent with the contractual stipulations for use of the AAVSB examination. It also removes the paradox of a non-academically trained veterinary technician being legally eligible to sit for the exam under Washington law, yet not being allowed to because of the state’s contractual obligations.

The WSVMA is concerned for its members. This was a tough but necessary decision to make. The Executive Board is fully aware that many practitioners are committed to conducting their own training and understands this approach works well for many in our state. However, by not moving forward, we may suffer a greater loss when our graduate technicians are not allowed to sit for the exam.

The WSVMA negotiated a final transition date of December 2014. Beginning now, any assistants who wish to obtain licensure through on-the-job training should begin the process immediately in order to complete their five years’ experience before the final change take place.

There will be an inevitable transition that veterinary practices will face as a result of these testing stipulations and the changes necessary to retain the only viable test available to Washington. The Association is also aware of the potential for a decreased pool of licensed veterinary technicians and the potential hiring difficulties posed to some practices. Finally, your Association takes no issue with the types of training and job skills provided for non-academically trained technicians by member veterinarians.

The WSVMA is committed to assisting members during this transition period. The Veterinary Technician Task Force is being reenergized to examine any viable alternatives and make recommendations to the WSVMA Executive Board. The Association welcomes practices to call and discuss methods and avenues for finding additional licensed veterinary technicians.

We want to remain aware of how this affects our members, so please keep us informed if you face problems related to finding, hiring, and retaining technicians in your practice.

Sincerely,

Dr. Debora Wallingford Ms. Candace Joy
WSVMA President WSVMA Executive Vice President

Sveikas,
When did you graduate? oh yes I am workholic. I have Irish Setter dog in my practice now. A Dog has hypersalivation, can the reason neurogenic? becouse no foreign bodies, no mucocele or sialocele. What the reason can be? otherwice the dog is clinicaly fine.

Sveikas Zmogau(hi man),
Yes, I am, just like you, from the same country - vardu LIETUVA. I'v been here for a while and right now I am working on my license stuff trough ECFVG. It is a bit challenging for me, cause right after my graduation from LVA, I had my own practice for a few years as a large animals vet and then I haven't been in practice for a while. So some stuff I have forgotten and some stuff, especially small animals, I had to learn from zero. Anyway, I hope this forum is helpful to as well as to all of us. I found this only 2 years ago, I wish it would have happened earlier. But or well, better later than never, right!
Good luck!
DAVMD:)

Hello there,

I am not sure if in this forum it is appropriate to discus clinical cases, but I want to advise you to go to www.merckvetmanual.com and search for PTYALISM, that might give you more answers than you need. Wish you luck and I like those dogs as well, they are very intelligent and active dogs.
DAVMD :thumbup:

thank you:thumbup:

Hello there,

I am not sure if in this forum it is appropriate to discus clinical cases, but I want to advise you to go to www.merckvetmanual.com and search for PTYALISM, that might give you more answers than you need. Wish you luck and I like those dogs as well, they are very intelligent and active dogs.
DAVMD :thumbup:

Dear SUBRATA,
If you could tell us briefly what kind of requirements and exams you had to face in Canada, and how you were able to start practice under some special license, it would be much appreciated? Better yet if you could post here maybe Canadian site which contains all this info, that would be great!:xf:
Thanks in advance and wish you best luck in your upcoming endeavors!
DAVMD:xf:

FDA or other Federal Jobs www.usajobs.com must be a US citizen or in some cases a green card holder. also must have a DVM license in the USA. Thy will not hire non-USA graduates.

That is not the case always, especially if you are applying for Fellowship, you dont have to be a citizen and sometimes you don`t have to be the green card holder either (i.e. look for ORISE Fellowships).

Internship usually a long time commitment for work like 6 month to 1 year. most of the time it's paid a small wage like 20.000 -30.000 $ a year. so you are an employee. this is harder to get and find than the externship. it's usually offered in vet schools and some big hospitals.
this require qualifications and like I said might hard to find. but you can try. for more info check this website.

http://www.virmp.org/virmp/

Externship is short term unpaid position. it can be done as daily for X number of days or weeks or it can be done as one day a week,,,, etc.. this is easy to get . Because hospitals like having a free help. they need you and you need them. they don't pay you. but you learn. this is good if you have a job in small animal hospital so you can do externship in large animal hospital in your day off or weekend just for knowledge.
this doesn't require qualifications. because you are there just to learn.

thank you so much ,,

silly questions....what is the difference between internship and residency ? and is there any qualifications required for residency?

thanks

hi, i'm a veterinary doctor from morocco, i will come next month to usa with
J1 visa with the section 212E ( two years home country residence rule) to
do an internship for one year in a dairy farm in wisconsin.

My goal is to stay in usa after the end of my program and to be legal
so what will be the best and the easier to me to do :
To work like a veterinary assistant and apply for a waiver( J1 waiver)?
or to find another intership in the unuversity and apply for j1 program
extension ?

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you.

Hi, I did the J-1 program. I applied for the waiver and then got my green card throught employment. I think is the best offer since J-1 extension is just for 6 months...

Hi everyone! I am a foreign vet living and working as a vet assistant in the Us for 3 years now and I am starting to enroll the ECFVG program. I am a bit overwhelmed by the process itself but this forum helped me a lot!!
After reading the whole 16 pages of it I think my questions are pretty much answered...
Thank you very much everybody

hi!

I just wanted to let you all know that I am selling my used VCRC copy. only the first part of six is highlighted with yellow marker but the rest is impeccable!

let me know if you are interested and what your offer would be. I am selling for the best offer since I am moving and I can't take the books with me.

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that yesterday I got results fro the PAVE for my QE examination that I took in January and........ I passed!!!!!!

I know it seems nothing, there is still NAVLE and VCSE to complete, but for me was important since this was my second attempt (the firs time I didn't pass for 1 point...... very frustrating).
Just wanted to tell everybody to not give up!!!! No matter where you come from, if you study and don't give up you are going to pass.

Good luck.

Hi everyone! I am a foreign vet living and working as a vet assistant in the Us for 3 years now and I am starting to enroll the ECFVG program. I am a bit overwhelmed by the process itself but this forum helped me a lot!!
After reading the whole 16 pages of it I think my questions are pretty much answered...
Thank you very much everybody

Hallo!

I wish you all the best with ECFVG program. Can you tell me how did you
get the vet. assistant job?What kind of qualifications were required when you were applying?

Thanks!

Hallo!

I wish you all the best with ECFVG program. Can you tell me how did you
get the vet. assistant job?What kind of qualifications were required when you were applying?

Thanks!

Hi Jogivet, what I did was search the internet from my country (in my case is equine, so I enter the AAEP site - they have clinics that offer externs and interns throughout the US) and send emails to about 85 clinics explaning my situation and asking if they would be willing to hire me as an assistant... I got very few positive answers , but the ones that respond were really interested. The clinic that I end up working in, luckly and coincidentally had 2 more brazilians working for them as assistants already... So the Visa issue was "easy" because the clinic had experience with this and new what to do. I don't know about in other fields, but usually with horses the requirements are not very formal, usually they want you to have experience to handle the horses and be willing to work as a horse:rolleyes:, very flexible and long hours. What I found is that they really liked to hire foreigners, they found them more hard working than americans when it comes to work extra hours and not receive extra payment, we are very qualified and cheap labor...
I end up working for them for 2 1/2 years and was a wonderful experience. With the letters of reference from them I applied for IM residencies and internships through the VIRMP and on March 02 the match is released... Wish me luck!!!

Hi Jogivet, what I did was search the internet from my country (in my case is equine, so I enter the AAEP site - they have clinics that offer externs and interns throughout the US) and send emails to about 85 clinics explaning my situation and asking if they would be willing to hire me as an assistant... I got very few positive answers , but the ones that respond were really interested. The clinic that I end up working in, luckly and coincidentally had 2 more brazilians working for them as assistants already... So the Visa issue was "easy" because the clinic had experience with this and new what to do. I don't know about in other fields, but usually with horses the requirements are not very formal, usually they want you to have experience to handle the horses and be willing to work as a horse:rolleyes:, very flexible and long hours. What I found is that they really liked to hire foreigners, they found them more hard working than americans when it comes to work extra hours and not receive extra payment, we are very qualified and cheap labor...
I end up working for them for 2 1/2 years and was a wonderful experience. With the letters of reference from them I applied for IM residencies and internships through the VIRMP and on March 02 the match is released... Wish me luck!!!

Thank`s for a quick reply! I do wish you luck (and a lot a patience too):luck:

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that yesterday I got results fro the PAVE for my QE examination that I took in January and........ I passed!!!!!!

I know it seems nothing, there is still NAVLE and VCSE to complete, but for me was important since this was my second attempt (the firs time I didn't pass for 1 point...... very frustrating).
Just wanted to tell everybody to not give up!!!! No matter where you come from, if you study and don't give up you are going to pass.

Good luck.

:thumbup: Just wanted to congratulate in that regard, it is nothing to someone who don't have to jump trough all those hoops that we do, and that is why it is quiet achievement. And I am saying thank you for encouragement, sometimes that is all we need: moral support and stay focused not to give up easily.
Very Best Luck to You, ItalianVet as well as to all of us here!!!:xf:

What I found is that they really liked to hire foreigners, they found them more hard working than americans when it comes to work extra hours and not receive extra payment, we are very qualified and cheap labor...
Interesting considering that it is illegal in the US to refuse to pay an employee at least 1.5 times their base hourly pay rate for hours worked in excess of 40 in a week. It's very upsetting that American employees are called "not hard working" simply because we refuse to work without getting paid as we are required to be paid!

What I found is that they really liked to hire foreigners, they found them more hard working than americans when it comes to work extra hours and not receive extra payment, we are very qualified and cheap labor...
Interesting considering that it is illegal in the US to refuse to pay an employee at least 1.5 times their base hourly pay rate for hours worked in excess of 40 in a week. It's very upsetting that American employees are called "not hard working" simply because we refuse to work without getting paid as we are required to be paid!

Maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way. In my case, what happened was that I was doing kind of an "internship", not officially, but that is how we liked to consider it. So we had a salary, we were not hourly payed. So, as in the majority of the internships (equine , at least) the hours that you end up working are so many that if you divided your salary for the hours worked would be under the minimun wage. But, like I said, was an unofficial kind of internship that extended for more then 2 years. When you are a veterinarian from south america and you want to get inside of the cutthroat field of equine vet business you have to work "more". Don't get me wrong, if I had the background of american vets and a licence I would require to get paid too, it's just that our situations are way different.

VeganSoprano, I am sure no one is willing to work more and get paid less. This is not the case with people who work hard, but at the same time would like to be awarded accordingly. What our colleague is saying that we, foreign graduate guys, do not known our rights well and we do not stand up for our rights and privileges, and of course many business owners do take advantage of that. I think we should learn that and fallow the law, and not to compromise it, that way preventing for this to happen in the first place. Guys lets focus on what we have in common rather than trying to critic each other.
Good luck to everybody!:thumbup:
Sincerely,
DAVMD

I am currently studying for BCSE and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good book to study the following subjects:
Animal welfare, epidemiology, public health, and regulatory programs
Thanks very much for your help

VeganSoprano, I am sure no one is willing to work more and get paid less. This is not the case with people who work hard, but at the same time would like to be awarded accordingly. What our colleague is saying that we, foreign graduate guys, do not known our rights well and we do not stand up for our rights and privileges, and of course many business owners do take advantage of that. I think we should learn that and fallow the law, and not to compromise it, that way preventing for this to happen in the first place. Guys lets focus on what we have in common rather than trying to critic each other.
Good luck to everybody!:thumbup:
Sincerely,
DAVMD

That was actually meant as a criticism of the employer, not the original poster.

I once worked for an employer who complained incessantly about the "work ethic" of American employees because we wanted things like two days off each week and time and a half for overtime. So they'd hire lots of folks whom I cannot imaginewere legally allowed to work in the US. They were here for perfectly licit purposes - on student or even tourist visas - but I don't see how they would have had an immigration status that would have permitted the kind of employment we were engaged in. So not only were they taking positions that should have been reserved for those authorized to work in the US, but those of us who knew our rights had no leverage because we knew these other folks were willing to do whatever they were asked regardless of whether or not it was correct. It was a very frustrating experience. I held nothing against the folks I worked with, but I thought it was very unfair of the employer.

"might you know Kansas state university offers to prepare the vets like us for CPE within 12 weeks classes includs 4 phases BUT its all upon the person him/her self as far as the expenses and those 12 weeks classes costs a huge amount of money ..would you recommand that if someone can effort that money ???

sincerely,

Payar"

Has anyone taken these courses, I am interested in taking one this year. Any feedback is appreciated
PS

Has anyone taken these courses, I am interested in taking one this year. Any feedback is appreciated
PS[/quote]

hello there ,
well i dont exactly know if anyone took those courses but i checked their webside with all the details here you can check it out http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/clinicalsciences/icy.htm
even Oklahoma state university do the same thing but its liltle more compliated with more demanding stuff you can check it here
http://www.cvhs.okstate.edu/images/...rogram for foreign grads Revised May 2008.pdf
i hope those would help you to figure this thing out

PS

hello there ,
well i dont exactly know if anyone took those courses but i checked their webside with all the details here you can check it out http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/clinicalsciences/icy.htm
even Oklahoma state university do the same thing but its liltle more compliated with more demanding stuff you can check it here
http://www.cvhs.okstate.edu/images/...rogram for foreign grads Revised May 2008.pdf
i hope those would help you to figure this thing out[/quote]

Hello I am aware of these programs, what I am asking is how these programs are, experience of taking these programs, if they are indeed helpful for CPE and if there is any university with comparatively better program............. PSD

well i didnt experience it myself but i believe those programs been deticated specially for the CPE so it got to be usefull and its hands on pratic whichs you need for the CPE
and as you said you aware of it so there is limit Univ. doing this program for the foriegn vets.
i already asked (dvmjakish) in this forum the same what you asking and he gave me reasonable answer whichs ..if you could work as a vet assistant or tech. it would gives you a good hands on practice but it will not all gonna be in the same place whichs mean it won't cover all the CPE materials unles you go around and try to get externship with other hospitals or help the other clinics for free just to fill you shortage materials that you need
i would enrol in this program if i cant get a chance to work as a vet. assitant or tech.
best luck

hello there ,
i hope those would help you to figure this thing out

Hello I am aware of these programs, what I am asking is how these programs are, experience of taking these programs, if they are indeed helpful for CPE and if there is any university with comparatively better program............. PSD[/quote]

Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !
:laugh: This is rajdeep i am in same situation and i would like to go for disscussion with somebody so i thanks student forum i found u ...if u agree we will start ..

Hello Everyone, I know that to obtain license in US for foreign graduates need to pass ECFVG, and to obtain license in Canada need to pass NEB from CVMA. If I want to practice in US and Canada, does that mean I have to apply to both ECFVG and CVMA, and do NAVLE, BSCE, and CPE twice??

Can I use the test results for both associations?

Thank you~

Hello Everyone, I know that to obtain license in US for foreign graduates need to pass ECFVG, and to obtain license in Canada need to pass NEB from CVMA. If I want to practice in US and Canada, does that mean I have to apply to both ECFVG and CVMA, and do NAVLE, BSCE, and CPE twice??

Can I use the test results for both associations?

Thank you~

How can you work in two different counties at the same time?

You don't need to do both. Just do the US one and you will be able to practice in Canada or UK. I'm not sure if Canada requires additional testing, I believe no, if yes it will be something related to the animal practice laws, similar to the one you have to do in each stat you will work in, in most states it is an open book exam. YOU CAN the canadian CVMA AND ASK THEM just to be sure.
I know for sure that the UK does not require any more exams just verifications and registration with interview.
Good luck.

Hi all,

If you are or you know somebody from philadelphia area please contact me at [email protected].
I`m french speaker originally.

Thanks a lot to be prompt.

Good luck everyone

Hi, i am very happy that i have found this website. I graduated vet school in 1991 (long time ago). Now i live in the united sates, new york, i work at an animal hospital, and am planing on getting my license here. i have passed the step two, english test. For bcse I have anatomy/pasquini, five minutes consult, zuku, and merck to study from. i would recommend zuku but i don't think it covers all of the material yet, because this s a new test. Can anybody or does anybody have any other more specific materials to study from? If you have anything for bsce that has helped you, please contact me at this forum or at [email protected] Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Good luck.
Al

Hey you all,
I'm happy to find this forum to learn more about the tests and stuff.

Now, I'm looking for a good dictionary of veterinary terms to catch some terms I don't know yet in the english language... any tips? I prefer a pocket one, but if don't...

Thanks,
Ana

Hey you all,
I'm happy to find this forum to learn more about the tests and stuff.

Now, I'm looking for a good dictionary of veterinary terms to catch some terms I don't know yet in the english language... any tips? I prefer a pocket one, but if don't...

Thanks,
Ana

Merriam-Webster Medical Desk Dictionary.
good one , I have it on my computer. it's faster than openeing a book Dic. this include audio so you know how sto say the word too/
also you can serach online on http://www.merriam-webster.com/ select medical dictionary... it's free.

Hallo,

I am khalid from Canada, Doing some navle tests as well. I think it is better to have some discussion about the tasks and topics.
Hello Khallid,
This is Mohamed.
I'm going to take the BCSE exam next August.
I wonder if you have any advice abou resources to study from and how to get them.
Thanks

Hello Khallid,
This is Mohamed.
I'm going to take the BCSE exam next August.
I wonder if you have any advice abou resources to study from and how to get them.
Reply me if you have any helpfull tools.
Thanks

Does anyone know what the procedure is if I want to practice in India with a DVM from the US? Do I need to take an exam before I can practice or will my degree from the US be enough?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A question: After doing steps 1 and 2, does it have a time limit to do step 3 (the test)? I mean, if I need to do everything next to each other or can wait a few months to do the test?
Thanks for the atention.