Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys
iam a foreign graduate too preparing for BCSE ( replacing NAVEl ) .
does anyone has a second plan if being a licenced vet is impossible after many trials for pursuing education in another field would share with us what fields are suitable for us as foreign graduates ???
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear vets from all over the Earth!

Is it possible to prepare for NAVLE and CPE without working at vet clinic?

What kind of a job possition is possible to take since I'm not a certified vet yet?[/QUOTE

Hi: If you are not certificate veterinarian technician: Don't worry, you can work as a tech. The only thing you need to know is to convince the clinic you apply for that you are able to perform: lab work, withdrow blood, put iv catheters and inhalation anesthesia. I worked as a tech for about 3 years and I quieted to study for the navle, and I'm still studing, I failed last Dec but I'm gonna pass in April. My advice: Don't be discourage, it takes time but you will get your liscence, step by step.

For NAVLE prerparation there are someood refrences:
1-Merck Manual
2-Mosby books
I,ve just started,we can have a good discussion group

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
iam a foreign graduate preparing for NAVLE.i have just started preparation in jan.it seems to be impossible to complete all the systems in merck's mannual.Please can anyone suggest me how to prepare?
Thanks in advance

Hi,
I just graduate as a Vet in Peru and I was looking for information about the tests that we have to take to be licensed. So far the mesanges thar I've found here where extremely usefull. But today I found that now we are suposed to take another step 3 on the NAVLE and ESFVG webs.

Did you know that "Beginning with the fall 2007 NAVLE administration, ECFVG candidates will no longer be able to take the NAVLE as part of the ECFVG program. This will coincide with the introduction of the ECFVG's new step 3 examination"? (http://www.nbvme.org/?id=14&page=Information+for+Foreign+Graduates) :scared:

Looking foward to exchange more information,
Nic.

Hi,
am I the only one who's wondering why only one American vet posted in this thread ? :confused:
Francesca

Hi, i just joined this website. trying to pass NAVLE. I thought I had done it all until i got my result last dec....i need to find somone with whom i can exchange notes & discuss...plz contact if somone interested...

What kind of a job possition is possible to take since I'm not a certified vet yet?[/QUOTE

Hi: If you are not certificate veterinarian technician: Don't worry, you can work as a tech. The only thing you need to know is to convince the clinic you apply for that you are able to perform: lab work, withdrow blood, put iv catheters and inhalation anesthesia. I worked as a tech for about 3 years and I quieted to study for the navle, and I'm still studing, I failed last Dec but I'm gonna pass in April. My advice: Don't be discourage, it takes time but you will get your liscence, step by step.

hi,i m veterinarian graduated from europe(spain),i m living in USA,and i need to know in the same situation,(preparing IELTS and AVME).
Really i need help,because i dont have no idea.
thanks for your relpy

Hi, I graduated from veterinary school in Kiev Ukraine, then I worked in Morocco as a veterinarian. I came to the States, I'm also enrolled in the ECVFG program, but I haven't passed step 2. I didn't get the speaking passing score of 26. I would like some advice from people who already passed the english proficiency exam. I'm also preparing at the same time for the NAVLE exam and would like advice for this as well. I would also like to meet other people in the same situation.
me too i m in same situation,i m moroccan,and i m veterinarian.i just start for step 2now.
good luck

hi,i m veterinarian graduated from europe(spain),i m living in USA,and i need to know in the same situation,(preparing IELTS and AVME).
Really i need help,because i dont have no idea.
thanks for your relpy

Hola Puyo:
Mira: es mas facil pasar el IELTS que el toefl, solo porque la parte hablada la califican muy duro, yo me gaste casi un anho para pasar el antiguo TSE o test of spoken english, si queres contactarme: [email protected]

[hello. how long do you live here? do you have your license?

Hi guys, i was looking for material to prepare for the CPE exam and i found this forum. I am a graduate from Mexico but i've lived (and practiced vet med) in the US since 2003 (in a place where i don't need license). Nevertheless i want to have my license to be able to get another position if the opportunity comes up. I did not passed the NAVLE exam the 1st time for 5 points (pretty painful) so i decided to have a better strategy for my last attempt (last December); i passed with 100 points over the mark so it's possible. It takes time and discipline. Here is what i think is a good approach, may not work for everyone but it's a start:

1) Preparation notes from vet students in 4th year- i found this to be the key. I got them from my students that were sitting at the same time i was. The notes were comprehensive and with what you need. Contact (maybe trough this website) 4th year vet students in the U.S and ask them for NAVLE review notes. They have review classes and are the best. The A-Z review that is floating around is SO outdated that i did not find it useful.
2) Concentrate in dog, cat, horse and cattle medicine; if you don't have time for pigs and small ruminants, exotics, etc is OK. Everyone freaks out about pigs but in reallity if you cruise on the other topics even if you fail pigs, you are OK.
3) Use Merck or other good books (Kirk, Ettinger, Nelson) for big topics, do not rely on summaries, MOSBY, etc for that. Read them well (all the endocrine stuff in small animals, infectious in horses, etc).
4) Review topics using the UFLA videos (>20 videos), take notes of them and read them again before the exam. Do not use them as only source. They take time (videos are +/- 1hr or more) and if you write notes up to 3 hours but worth to write notes.
5) Sign in on Zuku.com review (free, and OK) or vetprep.com (not free but great) and practice after studying.
NOTE: You will not be able to pass studying only on Q&A books or websites, believe me.
I studied an average of 5hrs a day since July (after the WorldCup :) ) and took my exam on Dec 8th, so 5 months of hard work but it paid off.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL, and do not get discourage if you don't pass the first or 2nd time. IT IS DOABLE.
carsan98

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i was looking for material to prepare for the CPE exam and i found this forum. I am a graduate from Mexico but i've lived (and practiced vet med) in the US since 2003 (in a place where i don't need license). Nevertheless i want to have my license to be able to get another position if the opportunity comes up. I did not passed the NAVLE exam the 1st time for 5 points (pretty painful) so i decided to have a better strategy for my last attempt (last December); i passed with 100 points over the mark so it's possible. It takes time and discipline. Here is what i think is a good approach, may not work for everyone but it's a start:

1) Preparation notes from vet students in 4th year- i found this to be the key. I got them from my students that were sitting at the same time i was. The notes were comprehensive and with what you need. Contact (maybe trough this website) 4th year vet students in the U.S and ask them for NAVLE review notes. They have review classes and are the best. The A-Z review that is floating around is SO outdated that i did not find it useful.
2) Concentrate in dog, cat, horse and cattle medicine; if you don't have time for pigs and small ruminants, exotics, etc is OK. Everyone freaks out about pigs but in reallity if you cruise on the other topics even if you fail pigs, you are OK.
3) Use Merck or other good books (Kirk, Ettinger, Nelson) for big topics, do not rely on summaries, MOSBY, etc for that. Read them well (all the endocrine stuff in small animals, infectious in horses, etc).
4) Review topics using the UFLA videos (>20 videos), take notes of them and read them again before the exam. Do not use them as only source. They take time (videos are +/- 1hr or more) and if you write notes up to 3 hours but worth to write notes.
5) Sign in on Zuku.com review (free, and OK) or vetprep.com (not free but great) and practice after studying.
NOTE: You will not be able to pass studying only on Q&A books or websites, believe me.
I studied an average of 5hrs a day since July (after the WorldCup :) ) and took my exam on Dec 8th, so 5 months of hard work but it paid off.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL, and do not get discourage if you don't pass the first or 2nd time. IT IS DOABLE.
carsan98
Thanks for the review Carsan98. It is the best I've seen since in here.

I'm preparing for the fall administration, so It would be a pretty hard summer, working as tech and studying for the NAVLE.

I got two questions,

1/ I've heard the toughest exam is the CPE, or clinical, and that now there is no way of doing an intership or a residency to convalidate it. Is it true or there is still a program where to perform the internship instead??

2/ Have you use the VCRC? I just bought them, but still waiting for the shipping. Is it a good source to use and trust??

Thanks in advance!!

there is still a program that offers the one year of rotations (4th year of vet schoo)
Check www.aavsb.org
I'm also in the same situation , working as a tech and studying for the boards, but I think I will enroll the pave pretty soon.
Good luck!
[email protected]

Dear Vets,

Nice to see you all here. I am also preparing for NAVLE and looking for more material to get through this step, I have some material like 'A to Z' and the video files from University of Florida which are very helpful; I can share those with you.
Please let me know if you have more information on the material to be shared among us.

Thanks a lot
Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Egypt , I'm looking also for source of study ,if you know somone want to sell VCRC (vet. corresp. review course ) , please let me know I'll buy it , please e-mail me at : [email protected] or at [email protected] thank you very much
Rafat

I graduated vet school in Poland and I passed my NAVLE and now I am getting ready for the CPE. It has been a long and difficult process but don't give up. The best advice I can give you is be familiar with the NAVLE content and know what your weakness is. Large animal or small? and focus on that first. I am a native english speaker so it was easier for me but we all learned this school too! I think that USA vets think differently then those from Europe. I learned by being a vet tech many helpful things that no book could teach me. I highly recommend working at a good vet practice (needs to be good teaching environment) with techs and drs who will support you and teach you. Don't give up, you can do it. Write me at [email protected] if you have questions or need anything. Good Luck!

Hi,
I live in NY and I'm trying to pass the board exam. for vet.student , I don't know what the books I have to study before the exam. specially I graduated from Cairo(Egypt ) 1989 and forget most of the study material , so I need your advise for what is the good and not expensive study material I should get it to pass the exam.

thank you for your help
icon9.gif
R. Saleh

I am new to this forum. I have heard to have Merck's manual as your guide to study. I personally do not like it because it is too elaborate. Have you any leads on this. I will greatly appreciate your help. I am in the same boat as you are in.

What kind of a job possition is possible to take since I'm not a certified vet yet?

Yes, if you want, you can apply as Vet Tech in the hospitals. That will give you lot of experience.

these are the best:
Merck, A-Z, Mosby CD rom Q&A, Florida UN course (this need user name / password), if you contact them they will give to you.
don't wast time on pigs, fish.....

Hi, I'm a Veterinarian from Peru. I'm enrolled en the ECFVG program of the AVMA to get my licence. I would like to contact another foreign vets enrolled in the same program to interchange experiences and information or any other vet who can give some information about groups of study or material available before I take the boards.
Hope to hear from you soon !
Hi
I am sumesh a vet graduated from INDIA. I heard that NAVLE exam only valid not ECFVG programme for licence .Moreover internship in invalid , only CPE is need. I have so many doubts
Iam preparing for NAVLE share with u
please email me
[email protected]

Hi
Iam a vet grauduated from INDIA, preparing for NAVLE, i heard there is mosby 's 5 series books and CD rom , review of vet board exam in USA.
Please visit www.mosby.com
At the same time , national veterinary series 5 text books are available , small animal, farm anima,l equine like that.
u can also use these books
please contact me
[email protected]
my name is Sumesh

How much fee for florida UN course 4 PREP navle?

Dear friends
A vet graduated from India, Wish u all the best for ur exam , NAVLE iam also studying for it. I heard that some preparatory course running by some university . do u know abt it.
I need ur email
plez mail me
[email protected]

Hi Corsan 98
Thanks a lot you for your kindness , you made a great contribution to this forum. I am sure a benevolent colleague like you will surely pass the CPE without any trouble.

Take care
keyvet

I'm glad I found this forum. I also took the Navle without success, the passing score is 70 and i got 63, I wasn't prepared for all the equine questions. Now the ECFVG has come up with the new test, they said sample questions will be posted at the end of May along with some literature as referece. Any suggestions to study for this test? I have the Mosby materials, Merck and some study materials but they are probably 4-5 years old. I read that people are having trouble with the Test of Spoken English, my advice is SPEAK LOUD in the test and if you think you did well and your score is low send them a complaint letter; it worked for me.

Hello. I'm an American studying veterinary medicine in the cayman islands. Hopefully some of my insight can help you guys.

1. Someone mentioned the ECVFG eliminating the "clinical year" as a substitute for taking the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE). This is TRUE. Now everyone will be required to take the CPE.

2. There is a difference between students completing their clinical year at a US veterinary school vs. completing a clinical year of study to substitute the CPE. 3 veterinary schools in the Caribbean have direct affiliations with US veterinary schools, and we complete our final year, or clinical year, of veterinary school at one of those affiliated universities. The ECVFG was referring to a clinical year of study after graduating from vet school. But since this option has been eliminated it doesn't really matter anymore.

3. I believe the Merck Manual is a very good study source for the NAVLE. However, it is very concise and I am afraid it will not be strong enough to stand alone as a supplemental study guide.

4. There is also a second option when trying to obtain US licensure. It's called the PAVE. It appears that the ECVFG is becoming more and more like the PAVE, as the PAVE already requires a written examination before you can sit for the NAVLE. The only drawback to the PAVE is that only 24 US jurisdictions currently recognize it, but this list is growing every year.

5. I have constantly heard good things about the University of Florida's supplemental material to prepare for the NAVLE. Someone has already mentioned the details about it on this thread, so I would recommend looking into that.

Hope this helps clear up a few areas. Good luck everyone!

these are the best:
Merck, A-Z, Mosby CD rom Q&A, Florida UN course (this need user name / password), if you contact them they will give to you.
don't wast time on pigs, fish.....

i've seen a few references to these videos at florida, but no link to them. can you post a link? i went to the cvm site and did a search but found nothing promising.

as for practicing in the u.s. without a license, i believe if you work for a university (some universities - minnesota appears to be one), you're covered under their umbrella somehow. for those of you who haven't yet passed the navle or may not really want to, it's an option.

cheers!

i've seen a few references to these videos at florida, but no link to them. can you post a link? i went to the cvm site and did a search but found nothing promising.

as for practicing in the u.s. without a license, i believe if you work for a university (some universities - minnesota appears to be one), you're covered under their umbrella somehow. for those of you who haven't yet passed the navle or may not really want to, it's an option.

cheers!

This does not work. You can not have a license to practice in the particular STATE and get under the University umbrella, but you do have to be licensed in at least ONE state (which requires passing NAVLE).

Have u tried Ilets? I got it from the first time

This does not work. You can not have a license to practice in the particular STATE and get under the University umbrella, but you do have to be licensed in at least ONE state (which requires passing NAVLE).

you may be right. all i know is when i was at the uni minnesota, there was a vet from costa rica working there said he didn't want to bother with licensure. may have misunderstood. but that's what i heard.

Hi guys, I am from Czech republic and just passed the NAVLE, I would love to know someone who knows more details about CPE. Thanks, Jitka.

Hi guys, I have just passed the NAVLE so if any of you have any questions about how to start the licensing and TOEFL, NAVLE, feel free to write me on [email protected] as I know how it feels when you don't know where to start.

Hi:
I passed me NAVLE in April, and would like to touch base with someone preparing for the CPE.

Hi guys!

What source are you using to study for the BCSE. If we were to get books on each subject we would have to spend years to learn everything. Is there any outline of what is important, what is not, or any study material focused on BCSE preparation?? Someone said the VCRC also prepares for that, but I have some doubts about it. The BCSE sounds more general, Navle more specific. Has anyone already sat for this exam??

:confused: Don´t know where to start!!

Hi!
I am a european graduate and also just passed the NAVLE :hardy:, after failing once in December. I prepared for 2 years, mainly by taking the Mosby questions, identifying my weak areas (small animal endocrinology!) and reading up in the Merck, 5 minute consult, etc..
The only thing I am reading for the cpe at the moment is the Mosby's reviews for the CCT, small and large animals, which is old and not really what the cpe is going to be like, I guess. Has anyone ever taken the cpe, does anyone know what to expect? How do you guys prepare?

Hi guys!

What source are you using to study for the BCSE. If we were to get books on each subject we would have to spend years to learn everything. Is there any outline of what is important, what is not, or any study material focused on BCSE preparation?? Someone said the VCRC also prepares for that, but I have some doubts about it. The BCSE sounds more general, Navle more specific. Has anyone already sat for this exam??

:confused: Don´t know where to start!!

I would still go through the Mosby review books, even if they are old, and concentrate on the basic/clinical basic books. Compare with the list published by ECFVG if you covered the areas. The actual test questions (at least in the NAVLE) are pretty much how they are in the MOSBY books. The NAVLE was purely clinical, so I wasted time going through basic stuff, but it sounds like you are going to need it for the BCSE. Good luck - it is possible to pass! Just sign up and go for it, even if you fail, at least you know what you are dealing with :luck: !

Is anyone enrolled in the PAVE program? If so, can u give me any information/resourses about the qualifying exam. Do u know that The PAVE program accepts the one year post graduation in place of the clincal exam. if anyone is interested I would be happy to exchange information with you.

Hi guys, I have just passed the NAVLE so if any of you have any questions about how to start the licensing and TOEFL, NAVLE, feel free to write me on [email protected] as I know how it feels when you don't know where to start.[/quote

Hi colleague,
I am a European graduate who took the NAVLE w/out success. Also, I completed in April a year of clinical rotation. It was possible to do old step 4 before steps 2, and 3 under petition. I work as a vet. tech (lab. animal) and study. Could you please tell me what is the best way to prepare for NAVLE. I used Mosby, Vet prep (really good) and got only 327 (min requ. is 425). Any suggestions?
Wish you all the best. We can do it!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

There is a list of questions in all species at NBVME web site:
http://www.nbvme.org/?id=25&page=NAVLE+Activities+and+Diagnoses,+2003
I went thru all the questions to make sure that you know: Etiology, epidemiology, Clinical signs, patology and histopathology findings, diagnosis and treatment.
I was studying 5 months only from MERCK veterinary manual (which you can find on line) and from www.zukureview.com. Plus some questions extra from small animals, exotics and horses. Small animal neurology and anemias you have to study in details.
Wish you all the best and luck!!!
Where from Europe are you from?

It was said that ECFVG will post sample questions and reference literature on its website for the BCSE at the end of May, but I did not find the info. Anyone knows about this? If you do, please paste the link. Thanks.

Is anyone enrolled in the PAVE program? If so, can u give me any information/resourses about the qualifying exam. Do u know that The PAVE program accepts the one year post graduation in place of the clincal exam. if anyone is interested I would be happy to exchange information with you.
i am a vet graduate from india, can any body suggest how to get a vet. tech. job?and i am interested in taking PAVE .can any suggestions about books /references for preparing QE?what is the qualifying score?
about the clinical year programme ,not many colleges r accepting ,will it be a problem.

Hi dear, i am a vet from foreign country and want to get licence.Is anybody help me suggest books for preparing for basic examination?i will be grateful.