Forensic fellowship interviews and openings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schmetterling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when forensic pathology fellowships start interviewing? I finished applications some weeks ago to several programs but haven't heard anything back besides confirmation of receiving all documents. Should I apply to a few more? I've applied to programs with good numbers but not New York or Miami, no time for away rotation. I was also told to apply early this year (some of my co-residents haven't even finished applications for surg path fellowships) as forensics is becoming more popular.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I applied last year, I did so in July and interviewed at 3 programs in late July/early August. I was, however, the first interviewee of the season at these programs, and only interviewed so early because I rotated at one of them they knew me, and so offered an early interview. The other 2 were in the same relative geographic location and so was able to arrange the other interviews all within the same week so I only had to make one trip out.

That being said, the programs all had interviews through to November, and if I remember correctly the one I rotated at told me that they receive apps mostly around July-August. I don't think you're all that late or anything.

Anyone know when forensic pathology fellowships start interviewing? I finished applications some weeks ago to several programs but haven't heard anything back besides confirmation of receiving all documents. Should I apply to a few more? I've applied to programs with good numbers but not New York or Miami, no time for away rotation. I was also told to apply early this year (some of my co-residents haven't even finished applications for surg path fellowships) as forensics is becoming more popular.

What year are you interviewing for? That'll help answer your question. Many US programs interview 18-20 months out, particularly some of the more popular ones, while other may remain unfilled and would be willing to accept a decent applicant even a few months before the start date. The thing to remember with FP fellowships is that aside from the big 4, none of the other programs really rely on fellows, and would rather have no fellow than a bad fellow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting 2016. I think my application is strong or at least not bad (AMG MD, plural publications, abstracts, involvement in current autopsy research) but with each program taking 1 at most 2 fellows (and understandably tend to favor local candidates) I will probably apply more broadly. I already know of 3 filled positions (2 filled in the spring 2014, 1 recent rejection). I may also just have to be patient, the new fellows are only 6 weeks in and it's vacation season.

Starting 2016. I think my application is strong or at least not bad (AMG MD, plural publications, abstracts, involvement in current autopsy research) but with each program taking 1 at most 2 fellows (and understandably tend to favor local candidates) I will probably apply more broadly. I already know of 3 filled positions (2 filled in the spring 2014, 1 recent rejection). I may also just have to be patient, the new fellows are only 6 weeks in and it's vacation season.

So starting July 2016? Yeah, you're still on the early side, don't get too freaked out. The fellowship directors are still getting their current fellows settled in, and will start reviewing the 2016 applications in the next few months most likely. On paper you sound fine, so just convey a solid work ethic and a normal personality, and you'll get a few offers most likely. It's a small field, so a LoR from a local forensic pathologist will be very helpful since most of us know (or at least know of) each other.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, the more competitive programs tend to fill really early. Chicago (Cook County) is taking 3 fellows starting in 2016. Not sure if they have filled, but it is a great program.

Yeah, the more competitive programs tend to fill really early. Chicago (Cook County) is taking 3 fellows starting in 2016. Not sure if they have filled, but it is a great program.
But do you think the fellows will get enough exposure to GSW'S?

I went to a grand rounds a few years ago given by an FP who had trained at Cook County. He had a *case series* he presented about people who were mauled to death by pit bulls, and how after euthanizing the dogs you could match which dog attacked which person (some technical stuff about DNA evidence and the digestive enzymes of the canine stomach).

RE: fellowship application / timing

The fact of the matter is -- if you're applying for 2016 at this point (late August), then you may be early or you may be late. It really depends on the program. Most programs fill approximately 2 years prior to the applicant's start date, including ours (we filled our 2016 spot in mid August). Just FYI -- I have spoken to program directors elsewhere who had already starting filling for 2016 back in February of this year!

RE: fellowship application / timing

The fact of the matter is -- if you're applying for 2016 at this point (late August), then you may be early or you may be late. It really depends on the program. Most programs fill approximately 2 years prior to the applicant's start date, including ours (we filled our 2016 spot in mid August). Just FYI -- I have spoken to program directors elsewhere who had already starting filling for 2016 back in February of this year!

Yeah... The majority of the good programs already filled. People started applying and getting positions before June of this year for the 2016 year.

I went to a grand rounds a few years ago given by an FP who had trained at Cook County. He had a *case series* he presented about people who were mauled to death by pit bulls, and how after euthanizing the dogs you could match which dog attacked which person (some technical stuff about DNA evidence and the digestive enzymes of the canine stomach).
Could be useful for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

Really glad for all the input, albeit some is pessimistic. Maybe it's the job market, but the fellowship application process for many path subspecialities seems to be getting a little rushed, particularly when ACGME says the application deadline is December 1 (about 18 months prior to start date). Seriously, a colleague inquired into a subspecialty path program at MDAnderson - they're full for starting 2016 and 2017 and taking applications for 2018 now - I'm sorry that's ridiculous, even if you're MDA.

I actually can't find a good email address for the Cook county program, so I may have to enjoy making a call to a government office. I heard a few programs were suspended this year, but I can't find a good list. I also heard that Western Tennessee (Memphis) will be getting a program in the next couple of years.

http://news.uthsc.edu/shelby-county...rate-west-tennessee-regional-forensic-center/

I know I ran into this problem last year when applying. Forensics (the top programs, anyway) fill much faster than people realize. In general, forensics seemed to be ahead of other specialties with regards to deadlines. And of course no one actually tells you what the deadlines are, so it makes it very difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
It is super competitive this year! I too am a 2016-2017 applicant. I have wanted to do forensics since high school (only reason I went to med school), have a forensic science bachelor's degree, have worked/rotated at 5 different ME offices (have a total of 10 years experience in the field), have publications/posters in forensic pathology, am a member of NAME and AAFS, I am currently chief resident and have a LOR from one of the most famous docs in the field who literally wrote the textbook on FP and glowing letters from two other forensic pathologists AND my program director and program chairman. I only applied to 3 of the more competitive programs and received 2 rejections so far. One of the rejections was from a program where I rotated as a med student AND a resident although they are not my home institution. I did a short 2 week rotation and gave a talk at the other program that I was rejected from. It was/is really confusing because I am very outgoing and extroverted and get along with most everyone I work with. I am extremely passionate and excited about forensic pathology and am just happy to be there when I'm on forensics rotations. I personally got to know most of the docs at both programs I was rejected from and had amazing feedback but was told that it's just a super competitive year. My letter writers and forensic docs I have worked with are perplexed as well about how things are going this particular season. That's neither here nor there, I just tell you this to let you know there are others of us out here that really want to do forensics but are struggling as well.
I am interviewing at Miami soon (don't know if they have filled spots yet but when I was offered the interview back in January, you had to choose between September or October to interview so I think they are just starting to interview) so I hope that goes well but otherwise I have had to scramble to get more applications out there. Chicago has filled all 3 spots but there are a good number of programs that are just now or just started to interview. I emailed most of the remaining programs and a lot of them had not filled yet. Don't worry or give up! If you PM me, I can tell you the programs that I know of that still have openings. I know we are technically competing against each other but I want to help out anyone interested in forensics like others have helped me.
I have been struggling with being discouraged as well because I have been preparing to get an amazing forensics fellowship my entire adult life and thought if I worked hard enough, got to know the right people and rotated at the right places, it would work out. It still will in the end but it's hard when this is what you want to do with your career so badly. I understand that the application pool is competitive but I have done everything since medical school to ensure that MY application is competitive. Just keep applying and keep your head up and don't be discouraged. We will both be great forensic pathologists one day! :)