Forget all the salary threads; let's talk about vacation days.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st2205

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of ranges in vacation days are people seeing for gigs? When done with such lengthy training, I'll likelybe putting a large premium on time to spend with our kids while they're young. Is anything beating the VA in that regard? They offer something like 26 vacation days plus a federal holiday almost monthly.

Members don't see this ad.

What kinds of ranges in vacation days are people seeing for gigs? When done with such lengthy training, I'll likelybe putting a large premium on time to spend with our kids while they're young. Is anything beating the VA in that regard? They offer something like 26 vacation days plus a federal holiday almost monthly.

What? Sold!

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife saw quite the range of vacation time during her interviews. Most were in the 3 to 4 week range (we passed the 3 week ones right on by). There were a few 5 weekers. The offer she took was her home program which has 5 weeks (no PTO), 5 days of CME, and the Federal holidays (plus one weird state one). We haven't had the chance to take many vacations during residency/fellowship but we'll be using each and every one of those available hours now that she'll be an attending.

My wife saw quite the range of vacation time during her interviews. Most were in the 3 to 4 week range (we passed the 3 week ones right on by). There were a few 5 weekers. The offer she took was her home program which has 5 weeks (no PTO), 5 days of CME, and the Federal holidays (plus one weird state one). We haven't had the chance to take many vacations during residency/fellowship but we'll be using each and every one of those available hours now that she'll be an attending.
Nevada day ftw?

I had a cumulative 2 months off last year and still earned a healthy amount. VA PTO is earned, not given up front. One place I interviewed at a while back was offering 6 weeks PTO with 1 week for CME.

Nevada day ftw?

Nope, but close. I guess I should also say that the 5 weeks is not PTO which was another big selling point. She'll be on a series of one year auto-renewing contracts so the vacation and CME are use it or lose it.

we get PTO which is for both sick, vacation and CME based on years employed.
1-4 get 24 8 hour days per year
5-9 get 30
10-15 get 33
15+ get 36
We also get 9 holidays off a year.
We can accrue 600 hours before we start losing it and can also get comp time for working late, into lunch, etc. up to 22 hours. I am at 14 years here and over 600 hours before I realized I was losing hours of leave. It gets hard to use more than 4 weeks off a year, but I will certainly try.

we get PTO which is for both sick, vacation and CME based on years employed.
1-4 get 24 8 hour days per year
5-9 get 30
10-15 get 33
15+ get 36
We also get 9 holidays off a year.
We can accrue 600 hours before we start losing it and can also get comp time for working late, into lunch, etc. up to 22 hours. I am at 14 years here and over 600 hours before I realized I was losing hours of leave. It gets hard to use more than 4 weeks off a year, but I will certainly try.

European vacation time?

I'm at 3 weeks PTO (combined sick/vacation), plus 10 fed holidays, plus 5 days CME. It feels a teeny bit low, but not bad enough to really complain about. The only times it bothers me are the blizzard days when the outpatients don't show up, but I still have to (or take a PTO day, which I don't really want to do, as I like week-long vacations for a cruise or international flights). I also work 4tens though so every weekend could theoretically be a long weekend (if I didn't have a second job).

Unlimited vacation, but I'm on a production model, so they are unpaid

Reactions: 1 user