Forgot to assign USMLE to Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpuscleofhassal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to a specialty with generally high USMLE cutoffs, but neglected to assign my USMLE to actual programs until now (app submitted on first day), assuming it would assign automatically after I authorized it.

I am wondering if programs that may have seen empty fields for the USMLE portion cut off or eliminate the application altogether in the process of sorting by USMLE, or do they update to see that information as it is updated?

Sorry for the convoluted, somewhat paranoid, question. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're paranoid.

If you don't submit your USMLE, any filter/process that looks at USMLE scores will simply not pick you up at all. So any program that uses USMLE to decide whom to review, won't see your application at all. Now that you've submitted, they will see it immediately. There is no reason to contact programs and tell them.

Reactions: 1 user
You're paranoid.

If you don't submit your USMLE, any filter/process that looks at USMLE scores will simply not pick you up at all. So any program that uses USMLE to decide whom to review, won't see your application at all. Now that you've submitted, they will see it immediately. There is no reason to contact programs and tell them.
Thanks a lot for replying! I'm relieved to hear this.

So I did the same thing, which I was relieved to realize, because I wasn't getting interviews at places where people with lesser class ranks and lower step I scores WERE getting interviews, and I had been afraid that there was something terribly wrong with my application. But I fixed it two days ago and I'm STILL not getting interviews, and I'm hoping that there's some sort of sequential process maybe, where people started going through everyone that was "up" on a particular date and are just now sending out the offers? I'm not sure that that makes sense.

Not really much you can do now, remember ERAS only JUST opened last week so relax. Plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
The same exact thing happened to me but I realized this at the end of October. Definitely freaking out.

Any updates on this. I submitted my score Sept 16 @ 4 pm. I'm an Non-US (Canadian) IMG applying to IM.

Any updates on this. I submitted my score Sept 16 @ 4 pm. I'm an Non-US (Canadian) IMG applying to IM.
Hey I did the exact same thing as you but am a US IMG. (applied on the 14th) but didnt realize i had to submit scores until the 16th. I was wondering how you think it affected you/ did you have to reach out to programs and explain yourself.

Hey I did the exact same thing as you but am a US IMG. (applied on the 14th) but didnt realize i had to submit scores until the 16th. I was wondering how you think it affected you/ did you have to reach out to programs and explain yourself.
An actual PROGRAM DIRECTOR has said you don’t need to reach out...what more do you want?