Forgot to declare state of residence!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from the University of Colorado telling me I forgot to declare a state of legal residence on my AMCAS... I feel like a total idiot, I don't even remember it asking me for my state of residence, I assumed it would look at my permanent address (which is in Illinois) and base my residency off of that. Amcas won't let me change it at this point. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Accept your mistake and learn to proof read :) Possibly call your state schools

I just got an email from the University of Colorado telling me I forgot to declare a state of legal residence on my AMCAS... I feel like a total idiot, I don't even remember it asking me for my state of residence, I assumed it would look at my permanent address (which is in Illinois) and base my residency off of that. Amcas won't let me change it at this point. What do I do?

You can call Amcas and they will email you a form that you just have to email back for the official change the school will receive an update as soon as there is an official change

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that I didn't proof read, I'm just an idiot. For some reason I thought that "legal residence" referred to people who weren't citizens but were here on a visa or something. Ugh so dumb. I'm wondering if I should just email my state school directly...

You can call Amcas and they will email you a form that you just have to email back for the official change the school will receive an update as soon as there is an official change

Okay, thank you!

In your legal residency change request, please include:

Name
AAMC ID number
Previous state and county of legal residence
New state and county of legal residence
AMCAS Application year for which you are requesting the change

Your e-mail request must be sent from the e-mail address listed in the contact information section of your AMCAS application and should be sent to [email protected]. Mailed or faxed requests must include a signature.

Fax: (202) 828-1120

In your legal residency change request, please include:

Name
AAMC ID number
Previous state and county of legal residence
New state and county of legal residence
AMCAS Application year for which you are requesting the change

Your e-mail request must be sent from the e-mail address listed in the contact information section of your AMCAS application and should be sent to [email protected]. Mailed or faxed requests must include a signature.

Fax: (202) 828-1120

Thank you! I just emailed them. When they update my app, will schools automatically be notified of the change?

Thank you! I just emailed them. When they update my app, will schools automatically be notified of the change?

Yes they will be notified of the update automatically. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should also let all your state schools (public and private) know in an email. You are from a state that has a lot of private schools with high in-state acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user