Formal Post-Bacc vs. Non-degree at top STEM university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronald Kris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a grad student in a rather mathematical field at a top state STEM uni. I am considering a formal post-bacc but my current school doesn't offer a post-bac. However, in the name of not dealing with applications/rejection risk, as well as stability, I could stay here as a non-degree candidate and take the pre-med requirements: the lecture halls are more than big enough.

What is the better choice and why? Are my grades likely to be much better or worse in one place than another?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are able to take the courses at your university, I suggest you do that. Taking courses at a less rigor institution may not look too great or show that you challenged yourself. Taking your pre med courses at a more challenging institution will also better prepare you for the MCAT. Best of luck!

Definitely stay where you are if they are offering all the courses you need.

Whether you are in a formal program or not really doesn't matter compared to:
- how challenging your courses are
- how well you do in them
- how well you round out your application with ECs and recommendations
- of course, the MCAT

Of these, the letters of recommendation may be the only area where a formal program *may* have an advantage, but in any program the strategy is the same. Get to know your professors and let them know you. Try to take a few smaller classes in subjects you like where it's easier for them to do that.

Keeping your school situation as simple as possible will free up your time/energy to focus on the other stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited:
ok but how about the grading in a post-bac? It looks like the grade distribution at my current school is close to a normal distribution, with C+/B- said by many a students to be the median grade (negative skewed curve). Is that similar to formal postbacs? Is the grading distribution more favorable at those?