Formal rejection vs. not hearing anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyeguy21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So curious, do most programs do a formal rejection or do you just not get an interview invite?

I ask as I have applied to some of the same programs as my friends and while they have gotten invites, I haven't heard anything yet and it's been about 4 days. Should I lose hope on those places or could they just be taking time to get it my app?

Side note: I submitted my app before my friends and our last names are all close together in the alphabet. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So curious, do most programs do a formal rejection or do you just not get an interview invite?

I ask as I have applied to some of the same programs as my friends and while they have gotten invites, I haven't heard anything yet and it's been about 4 days. Should I lose hope on those places or could they just be taking time to get it my app?

Side note: I submitted my app before my friends and our last names are all close together in the alphabet. :p

Read one of the hundreds of threads below.

Programs often do rolling invitations as they review apps. They also review apps in hundreds of different ways, not necessarily first come first serve or alphabetical.

The only thing you can be assured of is that very few programs have successfully reviewed all applications this soon in the process.

And very few programs will send out a formal rejection, especially this soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Read one of the hundreds of threads below.
Programs often do rolling invitations as they review apps. They also review apps in hundreds of different ways, not necessarily first come first serve or alphabetical.
The only thing you can be assured of is that very few programs have successfully reviewed all applications this soon in the process.
And very few programs will send out a formal rejection, especially this soon.
do prelim programs send out invites in waves as well or do those tend just to be once?

I have heard back from about half of the programs I applied to so far. 12 invites (though one with dates full while I was in contact with the PC and now I'm on the wait list for a spot to open) and one formal rejection. The rejection was not surprising at it's probably the top program in the country.

My dream program sent WL notifications to some people already but I haven't heard anything. Looking at last year's invite thread someone got an invite after others got waitlisted. I'm debating sending a love letter of sorts to the PC this weekend in case there is a second round of invites to come out. I was going to wait a bit longer but since some people are already getting waitlisted I think maybe I should act sooner.