MD & DO Former CEO; Veteran; cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.93; Have W's; School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKMed91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for clicking. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm looking for a list of schools that could range from reach to safety (if that even exists for someone in my lowly position). I've done my own research, but some of it seems conflicting so your input will help. Some info about me:

27 years old Male - White - Jewish - Immigrant Parents (fled Soviet Union due to antisemitism), First Generation American (my friend leaned on that when he went to his interview and was accepted so I included it).

I am currently an undergrad taking the MCAT in a few months, just finished Orgo II and BioChem over summer, graduating Spring 2017.

I left school as a Junior to deploy with the Army National Guard to a combat zone. Was a team leader at one point. Served 4 years (1 deployed). I opened a fast food restaurant franchise with a friend upon returning and employed 20+ people at any time. I served as CEO of our small company. Over $1MM+ gross annually. My name has been mentioned on forbes.com, entrepreneur.com. I was 23 when we opened. Sold business at 25 and returned to school to do preMed.

- Major Poli Sci
- Minors English, BioChem
- MD calculated cGPA 3.51 (have an F as a freshman, retook class)
- DO calculated cGPA 3.6
- 3 W's (incurred prior to deployment and prior to return for preMed - age 18-20)
- since returning have maintained a 3.96 gpa over 56 credits (hoping to show strong uptrend, didn't take school seriously when I was younger).
- Community Service: 100 hours
- Shadow: 50 hours
- Clinical: 120 hours
- Research: none, but beginning independent study with a faculty mentor in chemistry this week. If thesis approved may be published Spring 2017
- Had several leadership roles in fraternity at school

So... where do I have shot? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It's really hard to give a school list without an MCAT. I will tell you not to worry about the W's and probably not the F as a freshman. Your stats aren't bad at all. The rest of your app will be fine. Also, as your story is kind of unique, after you get advice you may want to edit your post to get rid of things that identify you, if that's something you're interested in doing.

It's really hard to give a school list without an MCAT. I will tell you not to worry about the W's and probably not the F as a freshman. Your stats aren't bad at all. The rest of your app will be fine. Also, as your story is kind of unique, after you get advice you may want to edit your post to get rid of things that identify you, if that's something you're interested in doing.

let's say I have 510.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speculating upon a speculation is discouraged in medicine.

I would be very appreciative if someone of your experience could help me with the list, even with the speculation.

I would be very appreciative if someone of your experience could help me with the list, even with the speculation.
We'll be happy to help when you have an MCAT!
As you will be applying a year from now, there is no need for speculation. The facts will be clear in plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, many thanks for your service to our country.

Your GPAs are competitive for tons of med schools, especially considering you're a veteran.

Hi. Thanks for clicking. Hopefully you can help me out. I'm looking for a list of schools that could range from reach to safety (if that even exists for someone in my lowly position). I've done my own research, but some of it seems conflicting so your input will help. Some info about me:

27 years old Male - White - Jewish - Immigrant Parents (fled Soviet Union due to antisemitism), First Generation American (my friend leaned on that when he went to his interview and was accepted so I included it).

I am currently an undergrad taking the MCAT in a few months, just finished Orgo II and BioChem over summer, graduating Spring 2017.

I left school as a Junior to deploy with the Army National Guard to a combat zone. Was a team leader at one point. Served 4 years (1 deployed). I opened a fast food restaurant franchise with a friend upon returning and employed 20+ people at any time. I served as CEO of our small company. Over $1MM+ gross annually. My name has been mentioned on forbes.com, entrepreneur.com. I was 23 when we opened. Sold business at 25 and returned to school to do preMed.

- Major Poli Sci
- Minors English, BioChem
- MD calculated cGPA 3.51 (have an F as a freshman, retook class)
- DO calculated cGPA 3.6
- 3 W's (incurred prior to deployment and prior to return for preMed - age 18-20)
- since returning have maintained a 3.96 gpa over 56 credits (hoping to show strong uptrend, didn't take school seriously when I was younger).
- Community Service: 100 hours
- Shadow: 50 hours
- Clinical: 120 hours
- Research: none, but beginning independent study with a faculty mentor in chemistry this week. If thesis approved may be published Spring 2017
- Had several leadership roles in fraternity at school

So... where do I have shot? Thanks in advance

that's a very reasonable claim, but not helping me develop a list.

Speculating on what you may make on the MCAT is like speculating on what I would do if I win the lottery. Everyone's time is wasted.