DO Former MD applicant, applying D.O. next year? (cGPA 3.60, sGPA 3.51, MCAT 36)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildPants

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I applied to med school the past two years and didn't get in anywhere last year, nowhere yet this year. Maybe I should have done this earlier given my stats, but I'm looking into DO school for next year. I took the MCAT on the old scoring system back in May 2014, which just passes the 3 year cutoff many schools seem to have.
I did a decent amount of non-clinical volunteering there. Since then, I have been working full time at a tutoring center while also volunteering at a hospital for a stretch (40~ hrs) and shadowing a doctor (>150 hours). What are some things I could do to improve my DO app? Do I need to do more clinical volunteering? What are some good schools to look into? Looking for chances of admission, advice, anything!

Edited for more info

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OTE="HopefulPilot, post: 17240808, member: 480380"]May 2014 is >3 years from matriculation for next year's cycle. I'd call the specific schools you're thinking of applying to. AZCOM states August 2013 or later for the 2016 matriculating year so you're good to apply late this year but probably not for a lot of schools next cycle[/QUOTE]

Ah you're right, looks like I gotta retake the MCAT... I'm still interested in anybody else's feedback/advice

We need to know more about your ECs if that is literally all you have it explains your problems.

Your stats are plenty for a lot of MD schools; fix these non academic issues anf you'll likely find much more success in this process. DO isn't some easy way out to getting past not having ECs and honestly with those stats there's no reason not to make MD your strong priority

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are definitely within range for MD schools. Maybe work on your EC or do something to set yourself apart more.

Only 40 hrs of clinical volunteering? My students would eat you alive.

Come back when you have > 150 hrs. At that point, you should be competitive for both MD and DO.

Shadow a DO and get LOR from same.

Hey guys, I applied to med school the past two years and didn't get in anywhere last year, nowhere yet this year. Maybe I should have done this earlier given my stats, but I'm looking into DO school for next year. I took the MCAT on the old scoring system back in May 2014, which just passes the 3 year cutoff many schools seem to have.
I'm Asian-American, Illinois resident, and I graduated from Northwestern in 2014. I did a decent amount of non-clinical volunteering there. Since then, I have been working full time at a tutoring center while also volunteering at a hospital for a stretch (40~ hrs) and shadowing a doctor (>150 hours). What are some things I could do to improve my DO app? Do I need to do more clinical volunteering? What are some good schools to look into? Looking for chances of admission, advice, anything!

Edited for more info

Only 40 hrs of clinical volunteering? My students would eat you alive.

Come back when you have > 150 hrs. At that point, you should be competitive for both MD and DO.

Shadow a DO and get LOR from same.
Is it really that important for the volunteering to be clinical? Or is it more important to just have a healthy amount of general clinical experience and general volunteering experience (assuming a good amount of hours in both)

Hey @WildPants tried sending you a PM but wasn't able to. Would you be willing to enable PMs for a bit so I could shoot you a question for some advice?

Where is your state of residence? Where did you apply this past cycle and did you receive any interviews or wait list?