Army Fort Gordon EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for EM residency programs this year and of the 4 army spots one of them is at a civilian facility. The program is run out of a hospital in Augusta and a majority of rotations are at the civilian facility with a few at Fort Gordon. My question is this this civilian program is it fully funded by the army and does it require additional pay beyond traditional residency.

For me I've completed my internship and will have completed 2 years time as a GMO which count's towards my payback towards HPSP. This program is a 3 year program so am I correct in assuming that by the end of the program I'll owe a total of 3 years ADSO or would it be 2 years for HPSP and an additional 3 years for residency training.

Plus if this is a fully funded position does that mean I get full army pay so base pay + BAH+ BAS + VSP

Members don't see this ad.

I think we have a poster who just started at the Army-affiliated radiology residency in Augusta. Hopefully he can shed some light on this, but my suspicion is that you are on active duty for these years.

When you say it's a three-year program, do you mean it's three years for everyone? Or is it three years for you because you'll be starting as a PGY-2 and four years for everyone else? If it's the former, then I think you'll owe 2 years after residency, with the 2 years left from HPSP and the 2 years from PGY2-3 paid back concurrently. In the latter scenario, you'll owe three years for the PGY2-4 years.

The contact information for the program director is on the MODS location grid. He may not know enough about the Army to answer your questions for sure, but he ought to be able to put you in contact with current Army residents at his program.

It's a 3 year program for everyone. The requisites of the program require me to start over as a PGY1. So I'm not sure if I'll owe an additional year for my ADSO

Members don't see this ad :)
It's treated the same as the other Army EM residencies...pay, ADSO, etc. Nothing different other than going to a civilian hospital for work.

My understanding: Your two years as a GMO will go towards your payback incurred from HPSP. So after residency, if you do 3 years of EM, you will owe another 2 AD years. If you decide to do general surgery or some other residency that is > 4 years, you will incur more ADSO. If I am incorrect someone please let me know.

My understanding: Your two years as a GMO will go towards your payback incurred from HPSP. So after residency, if you do 3 years of EM, you will owe another 2 AD years. If you decide to do general surgery or some other residency that is > 4 years, you will incur more ADSO. If I am incorrect someone please let me know.

I'm almost certain that you accrue a year of ad time for each year of residency past internship. So for This guy he'd have two years of payback left in this situation. However if you did ophthalmology you'd have three years of payback (this is assuming you've paid two years toward your HPSP payback by doing a two year GMO)

Posted using SDN Mobile