Forum etiquette & FAQ'S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
These "netiquette's" will help you and others make the most of the forums:

1. Before posting your question, search the forum. Your question or comment may have already been discussed, answered or resolved.

2. To increase the likelihood of starting a discussion provide details in your comment or question.

3. Be patient. All the participants of this forum, including moderators, are using the forum and will participate in discussions on their own time.

4. Help others. The forum is a community, and works best when people share information. Give feedback. If someone helps you by answering your question try to add a follow-up response letting them know if it worked or not.

5. Welcome newcomers. Make them feel welcome in the community.

6. Please try and keep descriptions generic, avoid using actual names, or identifying situations.

7. Honor others rights to privacy in this very public forum do not ask for personal information which includes exam scores, GPA's and other related details upfront.

8. Please do not post multiple copies of a message.

9. If you are replying to the last post in a long thread, it is perfectly understandable and acceptable to simply answer it. However, if you are replying to a post further up in the thread, you may want to include a quote from, or a short recap of the post to which you are replying.

10. "Flaming" is insulting another user's post, opinions, subject, grammar or pretty much anything else in an attempt to pick an online fight. "Slamming" is making offensive, condescending or insulting comments about a user in order to pick an online fight. Flaming and Slamming messages are not welcome. Disagreements are fine. Flaming is not.

11. Treat others as you would like to be treated. There is no need or excuse for being condescending or hurtful to others.

12. You are free to communicate with the forum moderator but do keep the PM's only for topics you dont want to discuss in the forum.

13. Please do not give away your personal information which includes your phone number and home address.

14. Due to the volume of posts each day, it is impossible for the moderator to review every post, you must report users or posts that are inappropriate. Use the small red triangle at the bottom left of each post for this function.

If you disagree with a particular poster and if he/she isn't violating the TOS place that user on your 'ignore' list.

Attacks on other users and moderators will not be tolerated. Repeated attacks may result in banning.

This will be updated from time to time.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so this is a FAQ thread to avoid repetitive threads.

PLEASE:

- If you can't find here what you're looking for, please:
- Use the "Search" option. It's located either at the top or the bottom of the forum's main page.
- Read the thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentist". . It contains resourceful links for all of us, including links to former discussed topics.
- Remember: You'll get more information by reading through old posts, that you would posting the question over and over again, because the people that know the answers don't like typing them all over again.
- PM me to cooperate or to correct any misinformation. Thanks.

What are the basic steps for a foreign trained dentist to become licensed in the US?

Go to the sticky thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentists", then scroll down until you find the link to "Dentistry in the U.S. - Education/Licensure". Download that document and read it very carefully at least 3 times. This will be your single most complete and safe source of information.

Where can I get a list of all Advanced Standing programs for foreign trained dentists?
Where can I get a list of all US post-graduate programs that will admit foreign trained dentists?

Same answer as above.

What's the importance of GPA and scores for admission into schools? Answer thanks to Dentisthusband.

The answer is always the same for this type of question, regardless of the specific attributes that you are asking about :

Higher is better.

You cannot change your grades but you can always raise a score on a standard test such as the TOEFL or Dental Board Exam by re-taking them. I would have thought that your grades would be a major factor in the decision process before I read through most or all of the threads in this forum. But from recent posts I see that most schools care far more about your Board score than anything else. However, it appears from recently accepted candidates, that UCLA placed a pretty high importance upon gpa. So if I were a candidate with limited resources and I had a 2.56 gpa, I probably would not apply to UCLA.

Always keep in mind as you read through the postings of candidates that criteria for acceptance will probably change from one year to the next depending upon competition. Scores that were good enough for an interview offer and even an accpetance this year, may not make the cut next year if a bunch of overqualified candidates apply next year.

Scott

Can a foreign trained dentist work as a dental assistant in the US?

Go to the sticky thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentists", then scroll down until you find the link to "Getting a dental assistantship". This is a thread in which this topic has been discussed before. Bump it up if you need to.

What about as a dental hygienist?

So far, only the state of Florida will permit foreign trained dentists to become licensed dental hygienists in their state. Here's an extract from their website:

Foreign graduates of a non-accredited dental college or school must demonstrate 5 years of postsecondary education, 4 years of which must have been dental education. The applicant must have successfully completed either the National Board of Dental Hygiene examination or the National Board of Dental Examiners dental examination, within 10 years of date of application.

Once qualified, an applicant must successfully complete the following to be licensed as a dental hygienist in this state:

* A written examination on the laws and rules of the state regulating the practice of dental hygiene.
* A practical or clinical examination, which shall be administered and graded by dentists and dental hygienists licensed in this state and employed by the department for just such purpose.

The candidate will be required to perform a complete prophylaxis. In addition, root planing will be evaluated on four approved teeth.
If the applicant fails to pass the clinical examination in three attempts, he/she shall not be eligible for reexamination unless he/she completes additional educational requirements established by the board.
Click here for more info: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dent...ental Hygiene

Does visa status affects admissions?

Read this http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95601

Should I change from H4 to F1 visa?

Although the best answer to that could only be given by an inmigration expert, you might want to take a look at this thread, it comments on it: questions on H4 to F1 visa

I need information on finantial aid for non US residents.

Go to the sticky thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentists", there are plenty of links to finantial aid websites there.

About completing a post-graduate program in the US, will I get a license if I do that?

Some states allow so, as long as the program last at least 2 years and is CODA approved. For more info read the ADA booklet "Dentistry in the US" and read this, bump it if you need to: US States where you can practice Dentistry after completing a 2 yr Speciality Program.
Appendix A

What's the difference between AEGD (Advanced Education in General Dentistry) and GPR (General Practice Residency)?

Read this thead:AEGD and GPR Program info

Members don't see this ad :)
What do I need to study for the NBDE part 1 or part 2?
How does the computer version of part 1/part 2 differs from the paper format?
How is part 1/ part 2 graded?

Go to the sticky thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentists", then scroll down until you find "Threads regarding study aids for NBDE part 1 and part 2". This is a thread collection in which this topic has been discussed before.

How many right answers do I need in part 1 in order to pass the exam?

Score conversion charts will vary each time. Go to the sticky thread "Links of interest to foreign trained dentists", then scroll down until you find "1998 NBDE part 1 released test " link. Open it and click on "Score Conversion". That's for 1998 board, but it should give you an idea of how thinks work.

Where can I buy/sell study material for the NBDE part 1or 2?

- Check the "For Sale & Advertisements" forum for any sales ad.
- Post a wanted ad in the Sales forum.
- Check the ASDA reprints, Dental Decks and Kaplan links in the thread "Links of interest..."
- Try Ebay or some other auction websites.
- If you live near a dental school, try sales boards in local dental schools. Most of them have boards or walls where students posts sales or wanted ad.
- Look at these boards: http://www.asdahq.org/message-board.html and http://www.americandentalboard.com

What's the difference between old and new Dental Decks?

This is a very popular question. You may want to write the Dental Decks Company and ask themselves the question, or you could take a look at these old threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...highlight=difference+old+and+new+dental+decks

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...highlight=difference+old+and+new+dental+decks

While this thread may be a little late for most of you, I thought that I would offer my advice for those of you who are still looking forward to interviews for advanced standing programs. I should preface my remarks by admitting that I am not a dentist. However I do know a little bit about interviews in general and specifically health profession program interviews. The phenomenal fact about the interview procedures at some dental schools is that you will only have 20 to 30 minutes to make a lasting and positive impression upon the interviewer. To distill so much of your effort, hope and aspirations into such a compact period of time absolutely demands that you make the most of it. So with that in mind here is my humble advice:

Oral delivery
I'm not refering to the the mouth cavity here. I'm refering to your spoken delivery during the actual interview. First let me say that you will probably speak the same way that you write and you probably write the same way that you speak. So try to write correctly at all times, or suffer the chance that you will fall into bad habits that will haunt you later on. This era of instant messages does not reinforce good writing skills and many people who post on SDN fall into the trap of an awful abbreviated form of English that can be impossible to decifer. For the record, it is either "your", "you're" or "you are" not "ur". You want your delivery during the interview to be clear, understandable and as lucid as possible. Forming complete and proper sentences on paper helps you to form complete and proper sentences during your spoken delivery. I have specific advice for candidates from India, and that is to work on your oral delivery so that your accent does not get in the way of effective communication. Many Indians that I have met speak so fast and with such an accent that it takes me a long time to mentally process what they are saying to me. My friend Aravind, from Hyderabad, speaks perfect English, but he puts emphasis on vowels in such a way that I have no idea what he is saying. So I often ask him to repeat what he is trying to tell me. You, as a candidate, won't have the luxury of second chances to get your message across in the interview. Regardless of where you are from in this great big world, know that your accent and rate of delivery affect how you are being perceived by the interviewer. You may not ever be able to lose your accent, and that is certainly OK, but understand that simply slowing down your delivery will assist in the listener's comprehension of your message. Finally, practice your enunciation, even if you have an accent, deliberate and precise choice of words will create a positive impression.

What should my message be?
Your message ought to be that you are an outstanding candidate for the program for which you are being interviewed. You should approach the interview with humility and grace about the very fact that you made it so far in the process that you are actually sitting for the interview, but don't be timid. Acknowledge that you have much to learn about dentistry and clinical skills to improve upon, but show confidence about your own ability to complete the program and your desire to become an outstanding dentist in America. Don't be arrogant about your previous dental education, but rather refer to it as a foundation for the program that you hope to embark upon. I hate to say it, but I have gotton the perception in reading some posts that a few candidates have a chip on their shoulder about their education and/or experience. If you even have a hint of that attitiude, don't waste your time or money attending an interview. The interviewers have a 6th sense about such things. Be enthusiastic about the specific program that you are interviewing for. Be very enthusiastic! In summation, you are an outstanding candidate for the program, the program that you are being interviewed for is the one best suited to your talents and professional goals, and you really, really want to be admitted to this program.

A matter of style and technique
You should exude confidence and thoughtfulness when you are responding to questions. So you should practice your answers to commonly asked questions and work not only on the content of your answers but the actual delivery of your answers. I have noticed for example that some Indian girls are kind of shy and tend to avoid direct eye contact when speaking to someone. Try to work on your sense of self-confidence and make eye contact with the person that you are speaking with. When you sit down for the interview be alert and maintain good erect posture. Do not slouch or get too comfortable regardless of how relaxed the interviewer seems. Do not cross your arms in front of you because that is perceived as a defensive posture. You can lightly clasp your hands together however, or place them in your lap. You may occasionally use your hands in expressive gestures to make a point about the topic you're discussing. Latin people do this well, although sometimes to excess. Be deliberate in your speech patterns and consider your answer for a moment before you respond to specific quesions. Don't rush into a response even though time is of the essence.

Questions to anticipate
Think about your own personal answers to common questions. Some of those common questions are:

1. Tell me about your dental education and/or how dentistry is practiced in your native country.
2. Why did you choose this program over others?
3. How did you learn about this program and how did you research it? Do you have any acquaintances that are graduates of this program?
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your goals?
5. What specialty fields of dentistry, if any, interest you and why?
6. Why did you choose dentistry as a career?
7. What are your strong points and weak points?
8. Do you want to practice dentistry in the US and if so, why?
9. Do you see yourself as an educator at a school of dentistry in the US? (This is not a common question, but it is a relevant one for some of you. In case you were not aware, there is a looming shortage of dental school educators in the US. So a candidate who is seriously considering a career as a teacher, may be given preference over a candidate that is not. Don't be deceptive about your aspirations though. If you have such a desire, be sure to state it unequivocally.)

I'm sure there are other common questions but these seem to be the usual ones. Knowing this, you should think about your responses and write them down. The active process of writing them down is invaluable. You don't have to create an exact script to follow in the interview. But if you thoughtfully consider how you would respond and then write down potential responses, you will be way more confident during the interview. Having written them down, practice your delivery of your answers to commonly asked questions. The more you practice your delivery, the better your delivery will be.

Do you have any questions for us?
This is a common way for interviewers to close the interview. You should consider your potential questions and gear them to the specific program that you are applying to. I suggest that you not ask questions about mundane issues such as student visas or how to finance your education. You might ask questions that clearly demonstrate your committment to the particular program you are applying. One question that works well is "What do you expect of me as a student in your program?" Avoid questions that could have been answered by more thorough research of the program to which you are applying. If you read the website of the school and search through SDN, you will learn a lot about the program that you are applying to and perhaps find topics and areas that provide insightful and intelligent questions for you to ask the interviewer. Just keep in mind that this question normally comes at the end of the interview so don't ask a question that would require a long dissertation for a proper response.

Well that is the sum of my advice for now. If anyone has more questions then I will respond. Good luck in your interview preparations. I hope that you found this post useful.

Scott

How do I qualify to take the exam?

If you have graduated from a foreign dental school and passed both National Board Dental Exams I and II on or before Dec. 31, 2003, then you will be eligible to sit for the bench test. As of December 2003, the enabling legislation for the bench test is being revised in the California State legislature. The legislation should be signed into law in February of 2004. After the law takes affect, the procedures for registration for the exam will be published at the California Dental Board website at http://www.dbc.ca.gov/

How do I prepare for the exam?

This is a very rigorous exam and it requires thorough preparation. Even if you have had post-graduate education in prosthodontics you will still need to devote considerable time and energy to your preparation efforts. Do not underestimate the difficulty of this exam! You must drill, drill and drill some more, until you can perform the following procedures to an extremly high standard of proficiency: Amalgam - graded 60% on preparation and 40% on amalgam finish; Cast Restoration, Wax-up and Models - graded 40% on cast preparation, 30% on die and model fabrication and 30% on wax pattern; Cast Restoration (preparation only), graded 100% on the preparation alone and it is usually a PFM crown. What materials do you use for your practice?
1. Columbia Dentoform Model SM-PVR- 860 Typodont along with lots of extra ivorine teeth
2. Handpieces - high speed, low speed contra-angle and lab handpiece
3. Burs - 1/4 round carbide for retention grooves, #55 carbide straight fissure bur 0.8mm, #56 carbide straight fissure bur 0.9mm, #169 and #169L carbides, #170 and #170L carbides, #171L carbide, #330 carbide, #281K carbide finishing bur, #282K carbide finishing bur, #H379F carbide finishing 2.3mm football shape, #7653 carbide finshing bur
4. Amalgam - #2 explorer, Toffelmire band, Tofflemire retainer, amalgam, dental dam, #7 dam clamp, wooden wedges, dam punch, wedget, dam forceps, amalgam carrier, amalgam dish or dappen dish, #1 and #2 amalgam condensers, interproximal carver, 1/2 hollenbeck carver, #3 and #4 ball burnishers, Suter enamel hatchet (10-7-14), wedelstaedt chisel, gingival margin trimmers both left and right, windex with ammonia, cotton pellets, dental floss, articulating paper and scissors
5. Impression materials - impression gun, polyvinyl impression putty ( hand mix material), polyvinyl siloxane wash material (automix for gun), adhesive for polyvinyl siloxane, intra-oral tips for automix gun, upper and lower impression trays
6. Lab work - KO tray kit (Vident), Zapit cyanoacrylate glue, Zapit accelerator, die trim bur #H73E, rubber bowl and spatula, graduated cylinder, vertex hinges for KO trays (Dentsply), die stone in pre-weighed packets, scapel, die saw and spare blades, 7R knife, debubblizer
7. Waxing - 37 wax spatula, PKT#4, PKT#3p, PKT#2, PKT#1, die lube, bunsen burner, inlay casting wax either - blue or green, inlay margin wax - red, sharp red pencil, pencil sharpener, mm graduated ruler, 0.5mm propelling pencil replacement lead refills
8. Compressor - as quiet as you can find.
9. Tackle box to organize all of that stuff!

Good Lord, what do I do with all of that stuff?

Take a review course is the short answer. Right now the only course that is being advertised is at the Duggan Study Institute, see http://www.duggandds.com/. Dr. Stevenson at UCLA has also taught a comprehensive course in the past. When the bench test legislation passes there will probably be additional courses available through other sources. These courses are expensive but they are instrumental to your success. You may spend from $2,500 to $15,000 for a review course, depending upon the duration and intensity of the course. Don't think you can go this alone without some sort of review course. Something as seemingly simple as equilibrating your typodont is a major effort, and you'll feel a whole lot more secure when you can check your efforts with an expert. This is not a commercial pitch for any particular course, just my opinion based upon what I know.

What are my chances of passing this damn exam?

According to the California Dental Board only about 50% of candidates who take the exam for the first time actually receive a passing grade. The percentage of people passing on subsequent attempts goes up considerably, but I do not know the statistics. I know of a prosthodontics professor at UCSF, who was originally trained in a UK dental school, and who passed the California RT Exam. That professor said that the RT exam was the most dehumanizing and insane event of her professional career. Let that serve as a cautionary tale for anyone who intends to sit for the exam.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.