Fourth year scheduling questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0921am

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all could share some advice on setting up fourth year electives. My fourth year starts in July and I am a bit confused about how to fit in acting internships, home-derm electives, and away electives all before applying. Could those of you who have been through the process comment on how you organized the summer/fall of your fourth year? Any thoughts on when is best to do each type of elective? I'd really appreciate any insights you all might have

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you all could share some advice on setting up fourth year electives. My fourth year starts in July and I am a bit confused about how to fit in acting internships, home-derm electives, and away electives all before applying. Could those of you who have been through the process comment on how you organized the summer/fall of your fourth year? Any thoughts on when is best to do each type of elective? I'd really appreciate any insights you all might have

Thanks

Here's how I structured my 4th year

July = research month in dermatology (if available, it's a great way to ease into 4th year as well as buff up research)

August = home rotation in dermatology (I like the idea of doing this in August since the 1st year residents are just getting started in July and often times, rotators are overlooked as the department is integrating new residents)

September = away rotation #1 in dermatology

October = I personally only did one away but since the trend is to do more than 1, you can fit your 2nd rotation here (note: it doesn't necessarily have to be in general derm, you can also do aways in dermatopathology and pediatric dermatology at many programs)

Spring = sub-internship, I did mine in March. A grueling time to have to spend 80hr weeks on the wards but hey, it gets your mind off the anxiety of matching

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on doing an October, November, or December away at a place that interviews their rotators?

Last edited:
How did you fit in Step 2CK studying? When did you take 2CK and 2CS? Thanks!

Thoughts on doing an October, November, or December away at a place that interviews their rotators?

I think October is reasonable. November is possible, but you'll be interviewing for prelim/TY programs during that month and you don't want to have conflicts. December is not really an option. This is the start of derm interview season and you can't very well miss multiple days of a (likely) 2-week rotation to interview.

Sorry one other question - if you are asking for letters at an away rotation, is September too late for the away?