Freaking out about getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydneyrocks18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a sophomore in college and my GPA currently is a 3.55. It dropped because i was so stressed taking to many classes together. I want to retake classes not because i failed but because I got like 4 B's on my transcript I just don't like the B's on my transcript. I called university of Houston and they said they average out the 2 classes grade. Does that mean if i retake classes at my community college and then transfer to U of H that they will take my old GPA before the retaken classes? Or will they take the GPA of the retaken classes. Because if they average it out then there's no way at this point that i will get into medical school with a 3.5 GPA. I'm freaking out and i feel like i'm screwed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I am a sophomore in college and my GPA currently is a 3.55. It dropped because i was so stressed taking to many classes together. I want to retake classes not because i failed but because I got like 4 B's on my transcript I just don't like the B's on my transcript. I called university of Houston and they said they average out the 2 classes grade. Does that mean if i retake classes at my community college and then transfer to U of H that they will take my old GPA before the retaken classes? Or will they take the GPA of the retaken classes. Because if they average it out then there's no way at this point that i will get into medical school with a 3.5 GPA. I'm freaking out and i feel like i'm screwed.

Chill out. Why is this forum so neurotic!? A 3.5 is not terrible as a sophomore. I had a 3.5 my sophomore year and manages to bring it up to 3.8 by graduation. Do not retake classes you got Bs in, especially at a CC. Work on doing well in your future classes and relax a little. Work on doing well on the MCAT and things will work out. Make sure you take a good course load but one you can handle.

Reactions: 4 users
Chill out. A couple of B's is okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i know i need to chill out everyone thinks im crazy that im stressing so badly. But honestly if i do retake classes and raise my gpa at my current community college and then try to transfer out to houston will they take the gpa that i have with the retaken classes?

Yeah i know i need to chill out everyone thinks im crazy that im stressing so badly. But honestly if i do retake classes and raise my gpa at my current community college and then try to transfer out to houston will they take the gpa that i have with the retaken classes?
CC is not very good on a medical school application. Many schools prefer you take classes at a 4yr university, due to increased rigor.

The very small GPA benefit would probably be outweighed by schools thinking you're nuts.

Reactions: 8 users

Please keep in mind that some/many MD schools do not view community college courses favorably.

Don't retake a B. Not worth your time.

You need to step back and take some deep breaths.

You're in a great spot. As I entered my sophomore year, I had a 3.0 GPA and had just gotten a C in organic chemistry. Worked my tail off and got back to a 3.54, but did it all at my undergrad. I had to take time off after graduating (had an AmeriCorps position), but i was just accepted in OCTOBER with a 3.54 bcpm and a 31. Grades will only get you so far. Spend your summers getting meaningful clinical experience where you can gain an understanding of what it's really like to be an MD by shadowing, spend time with patients, and/or doing research.

Reactions: 1 user
Even my top 20 school will interview an applicant with a 3.5. Second year is always the worst in terms of gpa because the courses that are taken together at that time tend to be the most challenging of the entire 4 years. You should see an upswing in your next academic year and you could always plan on applying after senior year so that you have two years of "better" grades to show... then you plan ahead to do a 1 year masters or a gap year job while you are applying.
Take it slow. This is not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 user
Listen to everyone on here. Definitely do not retake those classes, especially at a community college. That would hurt your chances, not help. You're a sophomore....one step at a time. Focus on getting better grades on the classes ahead of you.....not the classes you have completed.

Stop being ridiculous. You can get into med school with a 3.5 GPA. Worst case, dear god no, you end up going to a DO school if your GPA drops further. Chill out. You can easily become a physician still.

CC is not very good on a medical school application. Many schools prefer you take classes at a 4yr university, due to increased rigor.

No. Highly depends on the community college. The uni I've transferred to is quite a bit easier then my CC was.

No. Highly depends on the community college. The uni I've transferred to is quite a bit easier then my CC was.

This is true, but the general perception is that community college classes are not up to the same level as the same class at a university.

Yeah thanks guys for your help but i was also told that med school combines all grades as well as GPA from community college and university and combines them so if my gpa is low in community college that would affect the combines grades right?

Yes, that is true. Every grade you've ever earned is counted.

Relax OP!

A 3.55 is a very solid GPA, and Bs are so harmless that I can't even begin to describe it. Heck, even multiple Cs and Ws won't rule you out of mid-tier MD schools. Just make sure the other aspects of your application are strong, and if you really are stressed about your GPA, you still have 2+ years to pull it up.

Try to talk to your professors and see what's going on. Generally they have some insight into how you could do better in class. Also be sure to use your school's learning center and remember to monitor how much you are doing and throttle it with the amount of effort you need to improve your grades. You are still in an excellent position for medical school if you can show improvement in the latter half of your undergrad.