freaking out: realized i made typos after pressing submit!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strive01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I submitted my application aug 12th and i looked it again just now.. and in my description of activities.. i just caught SO MANY TYPOS.. like at least 7.. im so scared right now that me getting into med school will hinge on the fact that there are all these typos int the description part of my activites.. is there ANY way i can go back and change it? will it mean that it will take an ADDITIONAL 3 weeks to processes? adsfkaj;sfjsladfjewoifsa

if someone knows more about this process, please please please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there is no way to correct grammar.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't fix it now. You can't withdraw and resubmit. You'll just have to hope they don't mind.
If it makes you feel better, I realized I had a typo in my personal statement (I was missing the word "to" in the last paragraph), and I still got secondaries from every school I applied to, and have gotten 3 interviews so far.

You can't fix it now. You can't withdraw and resubmit. You'll just have to hope they don't mind.
If it makes you feel better, I realized I had a typo in my personal statement (I was missing the word "to" in the last paragraph), and I still got secondaries from every school I applied to, and have gotten 3 interviews so far.

yeah im hoping that they just wont notice all of them.. i remember reading on SDN how they kind of glance over the activities part and kind of read the top headlines and read more in detail (where my typos are) if they choose to.. but im not sure if that is true anymore.. can someone tell me if this sounds true??

In the process I'm most familiar with, a non-adcomm skims over your activities and generates a "score" for your application. An adcomm skims over your Personal Statement. The person who who reads it carefully will be the one who will interview you. They may not have the best grammar/spelling/punctuation skills either, like many in the general population. So I don't think the typos will effect the number of interviews you get. If it comes up at the interview, don't (metaphorically) throw yourself on your sword. Just be dignified and admit to excess eagerness to submit without proofreading, and how you'll never do it again.

On a personal note, I found I'd misspelled the word 'sophomore' and they still let me in. I didn't notice until after I was accepted, so I saved myself a lot of useless grieving (that I still kick myself over).

In the process I'm most familiar with, a non-adcomm skims over your activities and generates a "score" for your application. An adcomm skims over your Personal Statement. The person who who reads it carefully will be the one who will interview you. They may not have the best grammar/spelling/punctuation skills either, like many in the general population. So I don't think the typos will effect the number of interviews you get. If it comes up at the interview, don't (metaphorically) throw yourself on your sword. Just be dignified and admit to excess eagerness to submit without proofreading, and how you'll never do it again.

On a personal note, I found I'd misspelled the word 'sophomore' and they still let me in. I didn't notice until after I was accepted, so I saved myself a lot of useless grieving (that I still kick myself over).

thank you SO much for your wisdom. I just worry because there is more than one typo under the activities description part.

Can you just clairfy for me what is the difference between an adcomm and a non-adcomm? And then, just to clarify, the person that interviews you read over everything carefully?

An adcomm is a person who sits on the Admissions Committee and has voting privileges when candidates are presented. A non-adcomm is a clerk, secretary, or other person working for the Admissions Department, trained to assess applications for the criteria the school is interested in.

The persons who interview you are supposed to read your application over carefully (but in my experience they are sometimes too rushed to do so, and ask you to summarize for them). The entire application is not always accessible by them, as some schools only give the interviewer access to limited parts of the application. (I brought my CV to one interview, offering it to the interviewer, and was told she wasn't supposed to have access to that info about me.) Interviewers are not necessarily on the Admissions Committee, but may just fill out a form after the interview, marking check boxes on various characteristics important to the school, which the adcomms will use when they vote on you.