free MCAT resources/links?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have any free materials to share? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The doc who created it on here quite often, but mcatpearls.com is awesome....and free.

Caboose's site is awesome! MCAT pearls is a dud in my opinion. First, the website is somewhat deceiveing in that it tricks you into thinking you have to donate money to enter the site. Second, each section is written in very elementory, wikipedia level science. Furthermore each explanation of topics is rarely more than a few sentences long, hardly enough to exaplain anything in as much detail as the MCAT requires.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
Caboose's site is awesome! MCAT pearls is a dud in my opinion. First, the website is somewhat deceiveing in that it tricks you into thinking you have to donate money to enter the site. Second, each section is written in very elementory, wikipedia level science. Furthermore each explanation of topics is rarely more than a few sentences long, hardly enough to exaplain anything in as much detail as the MCAT requires.

Ah, thanks. :) It's just me messin' around with google and html though, I could never do a pearls type of website. I'd have to scan in Kaplan and EK materials and try to shuffle it up so no one would know. Probably have a lot of errors and inadvertently screw everyone down to my level of knowledge. No thanks.
His site is a baby still - it's growing. Depends on the level you need, I suppose. I can use pearls as an outline because I've sandpapered the engrained part of most materials and need EK to tell me the rest.
Hey, if you have any suggestions or cool things for my site - I'd love to know.
O.k., go study like there's no tomorrow.

Caboose.

I have to agree, the resources listed here are absolutely excellent! The MCAT pearls was much better than I expected once I finally registered for it and checked it out, definitely worth going through. Personally I’ve found in my studies a serious lack of good flash card material. I bought the Kaplan flash card books but those are just basically terms with definitions on the back. Sometimes there are formulas, but usually they just focus on written explanations. So anyway, what I’m leading up to is that I decided to make my own. When studying material for classes I like to have all the relevant material for a particular topic on one card, so that I cannot just quiz myself on it, but also make sure that I can draw the correct associations between formulas and items within a topic. For the MCAT this translates to having all of the relevant formulas available for a particular problem type, thus I’ve endeavored to group formulas whenever possible. Let me also say that my system involves printing on 3x5 cards, something that not all printers can easily do. Finally, there are mistakes. I’ve corrected many things since I first made them, and even added some new cards, but I’m positive there are still mistakes and things that need correction. Still, if anyone finds them helpful and my work can benefit more than one person….cool! I print about 20 cards at a time printing pages 1,3,5,7...etc., then flipping them over (and reversing the order!!) and printing the even pages. I setup a simple page in my Comcast webspace to hold the file. Without further ado:

Sean’s MCAT physical sciences flashcards.

Well done Kyp! Must have taken a bit of time. They look great and they're in a word doc. so if I disagreed with anything I could just change it. Springs, for example, have been twisting my neurons lately. It's pretty sick. I think I'll change those equations, but I'll have to check with AAMC to see if that's o.k.

Your cards are excellent - can I link 'em?

Caboose.

Caboose said:
Well done Kyp! Must have taken a bit of time. They look great and they're in a word doc. so if I disagreed with anything I could just change it. Springs, for example, have been twisting my neurons lately. It's pretty sick. I think I'll change those equations, but I'll have to check with AAMC to see if that's o.k.

Your cards are excellent - can I link 'em?

Caboose.

Hehe, sure! They’re certainly a work in progress…the last card I just added yesterday or the day before (notice the horrid last-minute acronyms >). I was looking for a good way to condense the sign conventions for mirrors and lenses, and I think I finally found a good (and accurate) way.

I’ll try to get around to adding a log on the main page with changes and dates, so that people know if they have the latest version. If you (or anyone) have any changes that should be made to the main set then just let me know.

:)

Excellent. Now I shall rule the world.
I haven't completely gone through them all because flashcards aren't my bag, but I want to go through them later. I didn't see your end rush yet. Got any NMR readings in there?:scared:
It is chemistry day.
l8r g8r

Caboose.

I used the free MCAT resource www.aboutthemcat.org and found this very useful while studying for my MCAT. While it is lacking in areas of practice questions and quizzes, it more than makes up for by consolidating the content and providing very high quality images to study from. I would use this in addition to many other MCAT resources as it is stupid to just rely on one source and expect to do well

I literally looked at this website for less than 1 minute and I found 2 huge mistakes on it:

1. It calls viruses prokaryotes and
2. It says that prokaryotes use histones.

Neither of those are true. I only looked at the site super briefly. If I found those mistakes that quickly, I can only imagine what other incorrect information they are spreading.

Check out playlists like these on YouTube. They post one question a day and throughly go over it. I find that it's a great way to stay updated on the material and just get a glimpse of a new topic.