Free Medical School in Cuba for US Blacks and Latinos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I was younger, I'd apply. I think the cut off age is 24 or 25. This is legit and supposedly Cuba has a better medical system than ours. Full scholarship. Everything is covered except plane fare I believe. The Cuban Embassy or Consulate might have more info, but this is the website:

http://ifconews.org/medical-school/frequently-asked-questions/

2em1qc4.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELAM_(Latin_American_School_of_Medicine)_Cuba

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's actually something that I may have entertained if Cuba didn't have such poor rapport with the U.S.

Not sure of the state of their healthcare now, but some years ago, they had one of the best systems, globally.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but BE SURE to find their match percentage and match sites. Once accepted into a doctoral program it's nearly impossible to apply for yet another MD degree should the first program not work out. Also, re-applying for the match after not matching the first year is a new dimension of hell — hopefully, you can find someone who actually did this and matched successfully so that you can really hear how it is.

If all those things check it, then this may be a good idea.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's legit. I knew the man that started the org and several people instrumental in the program. Almost went myself, but had family issues and aged out of eligibility. You face the same issues as other US students of foreign universities coming in for residencies, but there is no Cuba-specific stigma. It is well known that Cuba has an excellent healthcare and educational system. They have the lowest infant mortality and AIDS rates in the Americas and the highest literacy and doctors per capita. It has been legal for Americans to go to Cuba for educational purposes since the Clinton administration. Now there are less and less restrictions and they have an official ambassordor to cuba . I say go for it if you have the time and dedication

Reactions: 1 user
@Mad Jack He plugs in almost every underrepresented in healthcare thread I've seen. *sigh* Never seen him on the other forums.