Free Time during med school / residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicsTeach2MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school physics teacher considering a career in medicine. I don't do well emotionally without being able to exercise on a regular basis, and see the sun on occasion. I know that I am ready for the academic side of med-school, but I have no idea how to gauge the schedule. Do med students have time to go to the beach every once in a while?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PhysicsTeach2MD said:
I am currently a high school physics teacher considering a career in medicine. I don't do well emotionally without being able to exercise on a regular basis, and see the sun on occasion. I know that I am ready for the academic side of med-school, but I have no idea how to gauge the schedule. Do med students have time to go to the beach every once in a while?

Thanks

My friend at UTMB-Galveston studies there almost every day. I suppose it depends on where you go. Probably out of luck if you go to Kansas.

"The Beach" was meant to be a metaphor for whatever people like to do in their free time. But I suppose you answered my question!

Members don't see this ad :)
PhysicsTeach2MD said:

Thanks

There is plenty of opportunity for a life outside of med school. During the preclinical years, you can arrange your daily schedule however you want to. By this, I mean there is a whole lot of unstructured time which you need to assign to studying, exercise, chilling out, etc. Even during 3rd year, it's not that hard to make time for yourself, though this is a little more challenging on certain rotations (i.e. surgery and OB). 4th year is a total breeze.

The amount of free time depends on a combination of the schedule at your school and the type of studyer (don't know if that's a real word but eh)

If you go to a school that has class till 4 or 5 every day then you'll have significantly less free time then at a school where you get out at noon most of the time.

There is still the question of how much you typically study. I go to a school where we get out at noon most of the time so I feel that I have free time but even so, some people still spend a lot of time in the library and feel like they don't have enough free time.

Hope that helps

PhysicsTeach2MD said:

Thanks

yes and no. in ms1/ms2, you'll have plenty of free time. In ms3, you'll face rotations of varying difficulty. ms4 is a cakewalk. residency workload varies considerably depending on specialty as well as rotation. if you've been an adult for a while, you've probably already learned how to balance your work life and personal life, so it may be a little easier for you. even so, you'll have a lot less free time than as a hs teacher -- at least for the first several years.

It all depends on if you go to class or not and also if your school has class until 12:00 or until 4:00 everyday. My friends that don't go to class have tons of extra time because they show up when everyone else does i.e. 9:00am and just stay until 4 or 5 and then leave. I, however, am just getting out of class at 3or4 and have to study for a while...only two more months of this crap though :)