Frequency of waves in the same medium.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theA1doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some confusion here.

I know that the speed of the wave depends on the medium and not its frequency.

So for instance, say a bat sends out a sonic wave and it deflects of a rock. So I know, that the speed cannot change in this scenario, but will the frequency and wavelength change after the deflection?

Members don't see this ad.

Another clarification to the question.

Will the sound wave lose energy after the impact with the rock causing wavelngth and frequency to change? Is my reasoning fair?

Also, If what I said it true, then would this apply to E.M waves?

Unless stated otherwise, most problems involving reflection will be "ideal" and involve no loss of energy.

For there to be energy loss, the reflective surface would need to absorb some of the wave and that is likely beyond first year physics and the MCAT.

If you were given a change in temperature or energy of a reflective surface, then it could be calculated - but that also isn't likely to ever be seen on this exam.

The angles of reflection could produce interference, but there is no loss of energy.

Unless stated otherwise, most problems involving reflection will be "ideal" and involve no loss of energy.

For there to be energy loss, the reflective surface would need to absorb some of the wave and that is likely beyond first year physics and the MCAT.

If you were given a change in temperature or energy of a reflective surface, then it could be calculated - but that also isn't likely to ever be seen on this exam.

The angles of reflection could produce interference, but there is no loss of energy.

So the the frequency will not change upon impact with the rock in the world of MCAT physics??

Right. If it is reflected, then the wave will stay the same - other than it's direction.