Freshman Classes Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Just curious, what should I take as a bio major going into premed. I have so far: Sociology, Biology, Chemistry, Theatre, U.S History, and Calculus (I don't know the level yet because I've yet to take my BC Calc exam yet) Do you guys think this is too much? Also while we're on the subject of courses, do medical schools want to see you challenge yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking bio and chem together is normal when you're taking it with 2-3 GE's. Adding calc into that might be rough unless you're a god at math. I would delete calculus and see how that works, assuming you're taking intro sociology and not x000 level course which might be more of a time suck. Just my opinion.

I would drop one of sociology/theatre/history and keep the rest. Maybe even drop 2 of those three, because even if you're at 12 hours (full time) you want to nail a high GPA in your first semester because that's when a lot of people slip up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took Chem and Calc together, and it worked out just fine! I would wait to take Bio until your sophomore year!

I heard that I'm supposed to take classes this way:
Freshman: Bio and Chem
Sophomore: Org Chem
Junior: Physics
Is this right?

I would take mostly GEs the first semester. You're new to college and those classes can be rough. I saw too many premeds **** up their science GPA right off the bat because they started their freshmen year with difficult sciences, and they all lost their enthusiasm for premed right after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I see. If I were to go GEs first semester then when would I take the rest of my science classes?

Is this right?

This is the preferred route at my school. Class sizes of 3-600+ for each.

Is this right?
This is my route and so far, so good. But then again, it'll be August when I start physics. I'll update then...

Yeah I would echo @Salt Salt's point. I wouldn't overload your schedule too much. Use your first semester to get a feel for the college life (academics and social).

Reactions: 1 users
I took Physics 1 first semester sophomore year and had no problem, and many other Bio majors at my school did the same.

This is how I did my Bio requirements:
Year 1: Chem 1 and 2, Bio
Year 2: Physics 1, Statistics, Sociology, OChem 1, Micro, Physiology
Year 3: Botany, OChem 2 with lab, 2 Upper Division electives, Physics 2
Year 4: Genetics, 3 more UD electives

I took calc2 this semester with Chem2 and bio2 and it was hell. It was doable, I did it, but it was hell.

What worked for me:
Sem 1: bio
Sem 2 chem 1
Sem 3 chem 2
Sem 4 ochem 1
Sem 5 ochem 2 + physics 1
Sem 6: physics 2.
Sprinkle in other bio classes throughout. I took 1 bio course and gen eds my first semester to get used to college. I'm glad I did, I got a D on my first exam. Ended up figuring college out and got a B, and things went much better.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be curious about when your Organic Chemistry classes would be taught.

For my uni, first semester of Orgo is only taught in the fall and second semester is only taught in the spring. Be cautious about this in your planning if your university is similar in scheduling.

I would be curious about when your Organic Chemistry classes would be taught.

For my uni, first semester of Orgo is only taught in the fall and second semester is only taught in the spring. Be cautious about this in your planning if your university is similar in scheduling.
Possibility. My school offers it once every semester to keep class sizes down.

Wait Biology is only one semester in College?!

Wait Biology is only one semester in College?!
Not sure if this is what you meant but for the most part you aren't going to find courses that are really two semesters long. It isn't like high school where you go to the same class everyday for the entire year. There are cases like General Chemistry that are usually two semesters but they are divided up into two separate courses (your grade will be different for GenChem1 and GenChem2, they may be taught by a different prof in a different room or different building altogether sometimes). Also my undergraduate institution doesn't offer a one semester general bio course. Instead we have one semester "Organismal" Bio and one semester "Functional" Bio. This is just how my university does it so maybe its completely different everywhere else and I'm just talking out of my backside but I doubt it.

Oh thank you all for the advice.

Be sure to start your chemistry first year since you need biochemistry before the MCAT. Also don't think you need to be a Biology major. If you decide to drop premed your degree is almost worthless. Study what you like and take your prereqs