Freshman freak out! Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredrmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So up until last semester I wanted to do finance but now I'm trying to do pre med. I'm a little behind because I didn't decide until my second semester which I just finished. After researching I learned that you have to submit transcripts from classes that you took through college at your high school. I didn't care about those credits. Am I in bad shape? Have posted my grades below.

High school:

Marketing: B
Spanish 1: B-
Spanish 2: B
Pre Calc: A-
Business Essentials: A

Freshman year (first semester):

Anthropology: B
Communications: W (dropped cuz of a dumb reason)
Psychology: A
Calculus: A
English: B+

Freshman Year (winter session):

Business 1000: A

Freshman Year (second semester)

Biology 1: A-
Calculus 2: W (was doing horrible)
English: A
Music: A
Philosophy: A-

I have 400 shadowing hours from high school and am shadowing a doctor this summer. I feel like the classes from high school will mess me up and I'm starting late so haven't taken Chem yet so have to take them MCATs later than usual. Also do med schools care if you spend an extra year at undergrad to finish the requirements?? Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

IN response to the high school grades question, you have to submit/enter the college courses you took in high school into your application and AMCAS breaks down GPA by year and also cumulative undergraduate GPA. Your high school classes will be classified under high school GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only your freshman year you've gotten through, so I wouldn't be too worried. Med schools don't care how long you take to finish undergrad, especially if you decided you wanted to be pre-med later on, so it makes sense that it would take a little longer to get your pre-reqs done. The average age of a matriculant is like 24 anyway, because a lot of people take a gap year or two, so taking that time to finish your degree is not going to put you in bad shape at all.

Just be sure to get good grades for the rest of your undergrad career and get a good MCAT score and you'll be as good as any other applicant who started as pre-med from the get go. Is pre-med an actual major at your school? Because if you like finance you can still do that and be pre-med by taking the required courses, although they're making it harder not so be a non-science major with how they've changed the MCAT.

My early education history is FAR worse than yours, but I finished up strong with 36 A+s and a 38. Just do your best. I don't think those grades will matter much. If I did, I wouldn't be applying.

So up until last semester I wanted to do finance but now I'm trying to do pre med. I'm a little behind because I didn't decide until my second semester which I just finished. After researching I learned that you have to submit transcripts from classes that you took through college at your high school. I didn't care about those credits. Am I in bad shape? Have posted my grades below.

High school:

Marketing: B
Spanish 1: B-
Spanish 2: B
Pre Calc: A-
Business Essentials: A

Freshman year (first semester):

Anthropology: B
Communications: W (dropped cuz of a dumb reason)
Psychology: A
Calculus: A
English: B+

Freshman Year (winter session):

Business 1000: A

Freshman Year (second semester)

Biology 1: A-
Calculus 2: W (was doing horrible)
English: A
Music: A
Philosophy: A-

I have 400 shadowing hours from high school and am shadowing a doctor this summer. I feel like the classes from high school will mess me up and I'm starting late so haven't taken Chem yet so have to take them MCATs later than usual. Also do med schools care if you spend an extra year at undergrad to finish the requirements?? Thanks for your help

Yeah but my high school averages out to a 3.38 and 16 credits which is like doing horrible in a whole semester in college. Do I have to submit my high school college classes?

You've got great freshman grades (just stop withdrawing from classes), and way more shadowing hours than you actually need. Spend some time doing clinical or nonclinical volunteering instead, or do some research.

don't continue getting lower marks/withdrawing and this will not be a reason you wouldn't get into medical school.

you CANNOT afford to keep on withdrawing. NO MORE. take less hours if that is what it takes. go to study sessions if that is what it takes. go to the tutor EVERY NIGHT if that is what it takes. ask for extra practice from your prof. etc etc etc ad nauseum.

get any more Ws and you'll start looking like it's not just a dumb freshman mistake.

I'm confused as to why we are talking about high school grades? Or did you take a bunch of college courses while in high school? Either way, those aren't going to hurt (or help) you really.

Yeah but my high school averages out to a 3.38 and 16 credits which is like doing horrible in a whole semester in college. Do I have to submit my high school college classes?

If you took classes for college credit in high school, then yes you have to submit them. They will be able to see that you took them in high school, and an upward trend looks good.

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools will care more about the W's than the Bs in high school.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, the W's don't look good... BUT you are only a freshman, so if you continue getting good grades and stop withdrawing, you'll be more than fine.

Yes.

Looks similar to my grades back in the day (it was a Wednesday).

I disagree with the above posters, though. High blood pressure and anxiety levels increase your chances of many terrible things, medical school acceptance letters being some of the most dangerous. When I got my anxiety under control via medication + therapy, my grades dropped through the floor. A fire under your butt can help.

Though I agree that the Ws should stop. You know now what you can handle. Don't take on any more than that.