Freshman GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by my adviser that "if you are going to make a mistake, freshman year is the year to do it." Since med schools like the upward trend, is it better to get the harder prereqs (physics, calc, orgo) out of the way freshman year even though it might hurt your GPA a little bit?

Also, do most people get the prereqs done by junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by my adviser that "if you are going to make a mistake, freshman year is the year to do it." Since med schools like the upward trend, is it better to get the harder prereqs (physics, calc, orgo) out of the way freshman year even though it might hurt your GPA a little bit?

Majority start doing their prereqs their first semester. Yes, the time to make mistakes is early in your college career simply because you don't have the much credits and it's easy to recover rather than you have lets say 100 credits and you bomb your entire last semester, it would take forever to bring your GPA back up etc etc..

Yes, because the ideal time to take the MCAT is by the summer of your junior year, apply to med schools, then proceed towards medical school interviews during your senior year in college while taking classes by taking time off to travel.

^ This however doesn't have to be the case. Some people take the MCAT senior year leaving a year off for you to do anything you want while attending interviews. There's many alternatives etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Or simply don't aim to make mistakes. I'm taking physics now as a freshman, but only because I was confident enough to handle it. If you are unsure with whether you can handle something, start small and build up, if you see that you can handle more.

I started off the quarter with 15 units and adjusted it to 20 after seeing how much I can handle.

Or simply don't aim to make mistakes. I'm taking physics now as a freshman, but only because I was confident enough to handle it. If you are unsure with whether you can handle something, start small and build up, if you see that you can handle more.

I started off the quarter with 15 units and adjusted it to 20 after seeing how much I can handle.

/humblebrag