Friend passed away in college/33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmy dog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, need some advice. I was pre-med at an Ivy, my sophomore year a good friend committed suicide. I managed it very poorly, was depressed, got Fs in orgo and physics but got a good MCAT score. In the 7 years since I've been working as a scientist for a pharma company and I have an MBA in healthcare management. Undergrad GPA 2.9 (with the Fs), 3.5 in my MBA, upward trend, and I'm non-URM. MCATs are 11 across the board, have great LORs, great volunteering, two publications, very motivated, etc.

Do I have a realistic chance at an MD? I understand I can replace courses in a DO, but I want to know specifically about an MD. Should I retake the two classes, or does the high MCAT show competence?

I am confident I can do the work now if I have a chance, I just got steamrolled by a tough situation when I was young. I want to be a psychiatrist, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, need some advice. I was pre-med at a good Ivy, my sophomore year a good friend committed suicide. I took it really poorly, got really depressed, got Fs in orgo and physics but a good MCAT score. Gave up on pre-med, went into biology, been working on a high level project at a good biotech company for 7 years now, have an MBA with a 3.5 GPA.

Do I have a realistic chance at an MD? I understand I can replace courses in a DO, but I want to know specifically about an MD. Should I retake the two classes, or does the high MCAT show competence? 11 across the board, am considering retaking for a 35+.

I am confident I can do the work now if I have a chance, I just got steamrolled by a tough situation when I was young. I want to be a psychiatrist, if that helps.

So is your undergrad GPA a 3.5. Or your MBA? Also do you have any clinical experience or things you've been involved in outside of work?

3.5 GPA with a good MCAT will land you some interviews. Top-tier is probably out of the question. The question becomes is the score still valid? AAMC says that, in general, most schools require that your MCAT score be, at most, 2-3 years old. If it's been 7 years, you MUST retake. And if it's been 7 years since you've had the classes that the MCAT tests over, I would not bet on even matching your original score without some serious, serious studying.. much less 35+

Unless your MCAT is recent, you are a ways out from being a candidate at all, right now.

The good news is that you know you can score well on the MCAT already, so you know where you have to go. I hate that test so much and do not envy you the chore of retaking.