Friends are all freaking me out about 2015 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyday993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I am in a position where I can take the 2014 and 2015. My initial plan was to take the 2014 one this january, I have plenty of time to study for it, and if that doesn't turn out well take a stab at the 2015 one.

I figured the content review I did for 2014 would still be relevant for 2015 and I would only have to brush up and add the few extra subjects and allow myself time for practice exams.

Less physics sounds good since thats the only thing I suck at. Psych and soc sounds good. I heard from multiple people that the new biochem section is impossible. I mean I took biochem and yeah its hard but its just something ill have to work on. Its longer and that sucks but I just don't see that as a make or break thing if it means I get a better score.

But now i'm hearing people who got 33's on the current mcat who took the trial section and completely failed. I'm not sure if its because it really is that hard or its because they just didn't study for that particular material.

Idk before I was feeling a little optimistic about the 2015 and now I am absolutely flipping out. So to those that took the trial section: are my friends exaggerating/ biased because they were unprepared or is the 2015 one really that freakishly impossible?

Members don't see this ad.

As you've said, these people haven't necessarily studied for the information on the trial section, so it's not too surprising that they would find it very difficult. I don't think anyone can predict how good/bad the 2015 MCAT will be at this point, but you will be on the same playing field as everyone else taking it. The first couple of years will probably be an adjustment period, but after that, I imagine that people will have adapted, and there won't really be any issues with this new beast. The only thing to really worry about, I think, is the added length.

I say if you're feeling confident, then there's no reason to not consider taking the 2015 MCAT!

Of course they would do poorly on the new exam if they went into it blindly. Exams are meant to change so it was inevitable. For some this is a blessing while others are dreading the changes. Regardless, it must be done and you must adapt. The biochem section looks very daunting but in reality it probably has a lot more application to future physicians vs emphasizing physics and ochem.

Is it possible that the biochem questions will not be as difficult on the actual exam? If they examined the results they could simply take the more confusing questions out or limit the number of difficult questions. I have been hearing that biochem wasn't always impossible, and that the psych and soc questions were varied.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you've said, these people haven't necessarily studied for the information on the trial section, so it's not too surprising that they would find it very difficult. I don't think anyone can predict how good/bad the 2015 MCAT will be at this point, but you will be on the same playing field as everyone else taking it. The first couple of years will probably be an adjustment period, but after that, I imagine that people will have adapted, and there won't really be any issues with this new beast. The only thing to really worry about, I think, is the added length.

I say if you're feeling confident, then there's no reason to not consider taking the 2015 MCAT!

This. OP, I would challenge the "I have plenty of time to study for it" mentality with the 2014 MCAT since it's already October...did you spend summer studying? Are you in school right now? 3 months isn't much time to study while also keeping up with your other commitments to school/life/etc. If you haven't done much formal MCAT studying, I'd just stick to the 2015 format...if you end up taking 2014 and not getting what you need, you'll still have to do the 2015 anyway. Don't sweat it on 2015, you'll be in the same boat as everyone else.

This. OP, I would challenge the "I have plenty of time to study for it" mentality with the 2014 MCAT since it's already October...did you spend summer studying? Are you in school right now? 3 months isn't much time to study while also keeping up with your other commitments to school/life/etc. If you haven't done much formal MCAT studying, I'd just stick to the 2015 format...if you end up taking 2014 and not getting what you need, you'll still have to do the 2015 anyway. Don't sweat it on 2015, you'll be in the same boat as everyone else.
I already started as of August and i'm halfway done with content review right not, but yeah its possible I still not might be ready b/c of school. I figured as long as I get through the content review and then hardcore study during winter break I might be ready by January if I schedule my time wisely, but I also might not be so I don't really know right now.