From DO to Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nstop1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So i'm thinking of applying to 3 podiatry schools. I definitely have all the pre-reqs, MCAT score, etc. But the only thing I'm worried about is my letters of recommendation. I'm pretty sure all of them talk about me and my future in osteopathic medicine. If I wanted to apply, would I have to get 3 completely new letters of recommendation or would the schools look past this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you shadowed a podiatrist? I would suggest starting there, to determine whether podiatric surgery is a good fit for you and what you would like to do for the next ~30 years.

Shadowing a podiatrist is a requirement for pod school and a way to obtain a LOR from a pod.

I don't think pod schools will look too favorably at LORs directed towards DO schools. Perhaps you can ask your letter writers to generalize the LOR to "medical school" or specify podiatry school.

Definitely shadow a podiatrist! I was in between physical therapy and DO with neither being what I really wanted. I found out about podiatry late in my undergrad. I shadowed a handful of pods in different practice settings around my area and immediately knew it was the field for me. Don't set yourself up for a big surprise if you decide to pursue podiatry without really knowing what you're getting yourself into. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to LORs, I spoke to my professors about podiatric medicine and made sure that they would address the change in their letters. They were more than happy to assist me. If you have a good relationship with your professors/faculty, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you shadowed a podiatrist? I would suggest starting there, to determine whether podiatric surgery is a good fit for you and what you would like to do for the next ~30 years.

Shadowing a podiatrist is a requirement for pod school and a way to obtain a LOR from a pod.

I don't think pod schools will look too favorably at LORs directed towards DO schools. Perhaps you can ask your letter writers to generalize the LOR to "medical school" or specify podiatry school.

I have not shadowed a podiatrist. Surprisingly there are 3 podiatry schools that do not require a LOR from a podiatrist so I was looking at those schools. But thanks! Definitely gonna look into shadowing

Definitely shadow a podiatrist! I was in between physical therapy and DO with neither being what I really wanted. I found out about podiatry late in my undergrad. I shadowed a handful of pods in different practice settings around my area and immediately knew it was the field for me. Don't set yourself up for a big surprise if you decide to pursue podiatry without really knowing what you're getting yourself into. Good luck!

Thanks so much!

I applied and left my two professor letters for dental and they didnt mind ( I have already been accepted to the first school I interviewed at). However even if the schools do not "require" a LOR from a podiatrist I dont think they would be too happy without one. In each interview I have been to so far they all comment on how that is extremely important because of the influx of students who get into the school and then realize that DPM is not for them. I agree with their view point. If your competative for DO school I would reccomend shadowing a DPM and getting that letter before you apply. Your competativness for DO will only over qualify you for when DPM schools look at you.

Just because they don't REQUIRE it doesn't mean they don't care about the LOR from a podiatrist!!! If a podiatry school doesn't require an LOR from a podiatrist really shows to me that they lowered their standards that they could care less about finding candidates that actually want to be podiatrist and would rather just find candidates that just want to say "I am a Dr."

Sounds to me like you just want to be a doc. Look, a lot of people look at pod school as their back-up plan and there's nothing wrong with that. But you have to at least know what you are getting yourself into. It's 200k and 7 years of your life! Definitely go shadow. I mean, what are you going to say when they ask you "why podiatry"? "Because I want to be a doctor" is the way-wrong answer.

Reactions: 1 user