From IC to hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redlined

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current practicing interventionalist who has been out a few years. Currently I have been giving serious thought to switching to becoming a full time hospitalist for a myriad of reasons. I know some of the other subspecialties do this relatively frequently, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience as a cardiologist making this switch. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current practicing interventionalist who has been out a few years. Currently I have been giving serious thought to switching to becoming a full time hospitalist for a myriad of reasons. I know some of the other subspecialties do this relatively frequently, but wanted to know if anyone has any experience as a cardiologist making this switch. Thanks
Lol what, bruh? I have never heard of this. Like, ever. Even if the IC job is terrible (I would literally go off myself if I had to drag my ass to the cath lab at 2am every few nights), I don't know why you would backtrack all the way to hospital medicine, when you can just go be a general cardiologist. I assume you are still boarded in gen cards, right?

Hospital medicine has its perks, but I wouldn't even consider doing it if I had a cardio fellowship under my belt. Worst comes to worst, just go find a cush job with lower pay but less workload. I much rather do an easy cardiology job for $250-300k than hospital medicine for the same money.

I agree --- cards and hospitalist do have a lot of overlap, but, yikes the FMLA forms and dispo shenanigans alone would be enough for me to run to the former from the latter.

Lol.. maybe I spoke too soon. Apparently my group is interviewing a guy who just finished his cardiology fellowship this year as our "cardiology hospitalist" to cover our heart service. Maybe tight job market and he was limited due to family. Who knows.