From Nurse to Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emc_18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any med students or doctors that were nurses first? How was the process to get in medical school? Did you find your background in nursing helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

As a nurse with the intention of applying the next cycle, I am also curious to hear others' experiences

It's the exact same process exept you already have some clinical experience that other applicants don't

What is your gpa and sgpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did pharm school before med school and some people in my class did other professional degrees before med school. It doesn't really matter what your background is if you're an otherwise competitive applicant and have all the pre reqs done.

You might hear that schools don't like people "switching" careers or whatever but I never once ran into a problem with this. People do it all the time.

Also, the clinical experience is def a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
I also did pharm school first and was recently accepted. Along if you can explain why your current health profession does not meet your passion if won't be a big deal. There are certainly nurses who then went to med school. One med school also told me they have had PT's, PA's and chiropractors.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation except I'm currently IN nursing school... My rationale is as others said as long as your stats are competitive it shouldn't matter what your undergrad is. Just like anyone else switching careers, just make sure your reasons are valid for doing so.

I'm actually an M1 at an Allo school and I went the RN to Med school route. Worked critical care for 2 years then applied to med school. Do I regret going the RN path first? Absolutely NOT! The reason being that you develop a lot of intangible skills in nursing school and as an RN that will help you in med school. The first two years may not be fun for some, but the third and fourth years are where your RN skills will help you tremendously. I know many traditional people bash the rigor of nursing programs but my BSN curriculum was very tough. Things that I learned in nursing school is making my life in med school easier. I'm putting concepts together that I never acknowledged before and with an RN background, it's unlikely that you'll see something you're unfamiliar with. I will admit that RN programs don't go into the tiny details that we cover in medicine. And these tiny details are crucial in determining patient management.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually an M1 at an Allo school and I went the RN to Med school route. Worked critical care for 2 years then applied to med school. Do I regret going the RN path first? Absolutely NOT! The reason being that you develop a lot of intangible skills in nursing school and as an RN that will help you in med school. The first two years may not be fun for some, but the third and fourth years are where your RN skills will help you tremendously. I know many traditional people bash the rigor of nursing programs but my BSN curriculum was very tough. Things that I learned in nursing school is making my life in med school easier. I'm putting concepts together that I never acknowledged before and with an RN background, it's unlikely that you'll see something you're unfamiliar with. I will admit that RN programs don't go into the tiny details that we cover in medicine. And these tiny details are crucial in determining patient management.

I hear you as an CC RN, but honestly. It really depends. I mean, if you hadn't worked say CT peds, you would have had no idea how utterly bizarre the congenital heart defect kids' defects can look like. Even in nursing school, when they cover this, it's a general overview, and it doesn't demonstrate how each kid with acyanotic or cyanotic defects of various kinds can look so different for each kid. One kid's Tet can look so different from another kid's Tet. Pediatrics on this level can be an eye-opener, and even when you get a lot of experience, you are still scratching the surface. So, having worked for years with both adults and neonates/peds, I have to say, there is a ton of stuff I'm still unfamiliar with--I mean the bizarre genetic issues alone are mind-blowing.