From OTA to OT????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madusa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone was an OTA before becoming an OT? Or, has anyone considered taking this route before? If so, I'd like some advice...should I become an OTA first and gain experience in the field? Or, just finish my pre-reqs and go straight for my OT degree?

Madusa:D

Members don't see this ad.

i had someone in my class that was an OTA before and then applied to OT after she had a few years of experience. if becoming an OT is your goal, why do something else. just apply and see how it goes :)

It really depends on how much you think the OTA will benefit you. I have a friend who went back for an associates in OTA after acheiving her B.A. then after working for a couple of years, she went back for an MOT then to OTD. Although it took her awhile to acheive all that, she was grateful for it b/c each milestone provided her with more knowledge about how to be a better OT. Also, a lot of the programs she got into were really flexible with working adults so she worked during the week and went to school for the weekends so it benefited her $$ wise and academic wise. She was able to make about $55,000 a year (increase with experience and your location)and survive via grad school. I think that is pretty good considering how difficult it is to make a good living nowadays.

If you think going for OTA first to gain experience, go for it. It's all about what you think is better for you and weigh the cost and benefits, etc.

Adios! Redbean85

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all. I'm currently a COTA and have been working as such for about 3 years. I trained to be an OTA in the military and am planning on applying for a MOT program as soon as I finish the prerequisites.

One of the things I'm concerned about is maintaining hands-on time with my patients. In a lot of clinics, I see the OTR's doing a lot of paperwork...but not getting to spend much time with the patients except for weekly evals and the occasional splints. There are days that I think I make more splints than some of my OTRs.

Also, I'm interested in persuing a CHT. Can anyone give me an insider's view on what the test is like, how it was to get the prerequesites out of the way, and do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Hey-

How far are you in College? If you are close to a 4 year degree go for OT.

If you are just starting out, being an OTA really isn't a bad deal. Community College for a couple years is pretty cheap. OTA's can make around 40k a year. Basically, you would leave CC if you worked while in school with not much debt.

On the other hand if you go through getting a Masters, which is what you will need after this year for OT, you will have more debt. But around 20k+ more income a year and autonomy.

Or, as RedBean85 stated, get your OTA then work part-time and go for MOT.

Hey-

How far are you in College? If you are close to a 4 year degree go for OT.

If you are just starting out, being an OTA really isn't a bad deal. Community College for a couple years is pretty cheap. OTA's can make around 40k a year. Basically, you would leave CC if you worked while in school with not much debt.

On the other hand if you go through getting a Masters, which is what you will need after this year for OT, you will have more debt. But around 20k+ more income a year and autonomy.

Or, as RedBean85 stated, get your OTA then work part-time and go for MOT.

I've got about a year worth of general studies to complete.

Thanks!