From the music industry to the medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NashTribe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Brand new, first post, thanks for any inspiration or advice you can provide...I am currently in the record industry in Nashville, TN but have always had the desire to be in medicine. I own and operate a very successful production company here in town but still have the desire to pursue medicine. I recently started "shadowing" a physician friend at Vanderbilt (Internal Medicine) and the experience has only strengthened my desire to switch careers. With that said, I attended a very good music school and did very well (GPA 3.7, dual major, finished a 5 year program in 3, if that means anything with a BM). My concern is, do schools look at music professionals in a different light? Do I need more ECs? Running a business is a 24/7 task but I am willing to turn it over if I need to do more to get into the desired Post-Bac program. Thanks again for your help!

PS "the medicine" was a mistake, sounds funny tho :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Brand new, first post, thanks for any inspiration or advice you can provide...I am currently in the record industry in Nashville, TN but have always had the desire to be in medicine. I own and operate a very successful production company here in town but still have the desire to pursue medicine. I recently started "shadowing" a physician friend at Vanderbilt (Internal Medicine) and the experience has only strengthened my desire to switch careers. With that said, I attended a very good music school and did very well (GPA 3.7, dual major, finished a 5 year program in 3, if that means anything with a BM). My concern is, do schools look at music professionals in a different light? Do I need more ECs? Running a business is a 24/7 task but I am willing to turn it over if I need to do more to get into the desired Post-Bac program. Thanks again for your help!

PS "the medicine" was a mistake, sounds funny tho :)

I actually was friends with a guy in the Penn post bac who was also an ex-producer from the music industry. He had no problem being accepted into the program and did quite well in it as well. I don't think anyone is going to question your decision unless you show them that this is a "whimsical" decision. And it sounds like you have really thought about it. Take the time to garner some experiences that show that you taking this change really seriously. Also, having your own business, I imagine, is quite demanding. If you want to do this right, find the time to start taking classes, even if just one at a time and really excel in them. If you want to change careers for real, you are going to have to start giving things up slowly from you "old life" and start to transition into this new one.

Members don't see this ad :)
In speaking for my own program, I can say that we look favorably on excellence of all kinds. In my class, there are two former professional athletes and last year's class boasted a Juilliard grad. Bryn Mawr (and likely the other top programs) see dedication to and success in a particular field as evidence of the gravity of your commitment to medicine. While there are many "well-rounded" types (and you yourself maybe be one of these, as well), those who throw all their energy into a particular discipline will not be discriminated against.

You'll be just fine. Try to get some medical volunteer experience and you should get the interviews you want. Remember, it really is quality over quantity. I know of multiple cases where various admissions boards were more impressed with the girl who did hands-on stuff in the free clinic for a total of 30 hours than the guy who shuttled bags of blood and urine back and forth to the lab for 1000 hours total.

i think if you have the grades/mcat/clinical, you'll make an outstanding applicant. medical schools really value the other stuff you've done and running your own company is a pretty big deal.

I'm in this boat with you, it looks like. :)

I was a classical flautist-turned-sound engineer, but I've really always wanted to do medicine. And I've just been accepted into the Scripps Post-Bacc.

As far as how schools look at people hailing from other disciplines, I can honestly say that I've heard only good things. In speaking to a doctor on the admissions board of Baylor College of Medicine, I was told that, in fact, music majors (and English majors for that matter, both of which I was) are highly coveted because music is highly analytical and exact, much like the sciences, yet both disciplines indicate a far different way of thinking than your average biology major. And I think people are becoming more appreciative of different ways of thinking.

Basically, I think you've got a great shot. Good luck!