Frustrated with HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R1Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started contacting Army and Navy recruiters late Jan. regarding the HPSP. The Army recruiter made it sound like I was not late at all, and I sent him my completed application weeks ago, and still do not have an appointment set up for my physical.

When I initially contacted the Navy recruiter he informed me that I was late in the application process, and I needed to get to MEPS ASAP. However, I still do not have an appointment for the physical.

Now it is mid February I feel like nothing has been accomplished. I follow up with them regularly but I just feel like this is going nowhere. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a competitive GPA, high DAT, and no medical issues.

Members don't see this ad.

The whole process can be very frustrating--trust me I know. I've been held up for over 5 months now.
Not only do the recruiters take awhile to submit papers and applications, but it seems like everything needs to get signed off by multiple different people for each step ( For example, I had a waiver approved by the surgeon general over a week ago, but I still can't go to MEPS because the waiver is sitting on someone's desk and needs to be signed first. Apparently this could take 60 days). I wouldn't expect to get to MEPS anytime in the immediate future.
But be proactive and keep talking to your recruiters. They may be more likely to actually work on your file if you keep bugging them about it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started contacting Army and Navy recruiters late Jan. regarding the HPSP. The Army recruiter made it sound like I was not late at all, and I sent him my completed application weeks ago, and still do not have an appointment set up for my physical.

When I initially contacted the Navy recruiter he informed me that I was late in the application process, and I needed to get to MEPS ASAP. However, I still do not have an appointment for the physical.

Now it is mid February I feel like nothing has been accomplished. I follow up with them regularly but I just feel like this is going nowhere. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a competitive GPA, high DAT, and no medical issues.

It's only been 3-4 weeks according to your timeline. It'll get done.

If you're really interested in the military, get used to long waits. I'm fairly sure that the term "Hurry up and wait" was coined in the military.

Thanks for the responses guys! It makes me feel better knowing this is the norm with the military.

Here's another option. I know the Navy (not sure about Army) will allow you to go in the private sector and get your physical done but you'll have to pay about $400 out of pocket for it. This will be super fast though.

I initially contacted my recruiter in August when I took the DAT. My package, post physical, wasn't complete until 2 weeks ago.
The physical itself can drag things out.. I'm prior military as well, which I think actually added to the wait. I got a letter back from the physical actually stating that I was physically disqualified. Why? Because I needed to get a letter from my knee surgeon saying I was ok, a letter from the VA stating that I don't have a disability claim, etc.

"Hurry up and wait", and, "jump through hoops"... Pretty sure the military created these sayings..