F's on transcript due to missing chapel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rachie, YOU will do just fine!

tumblr_m8godsvmlb1rtsdv7.gif

Lol thanks, Goro!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Because prayer is such a valid form of treatment...

I gotta disagree with you on this one, friend. The emotional well-being of your patient is incredibly important. If it would relieve anxiety in my patient and help him/her cope, I would absolutely take the one minute to pray with him/her. You are caring for the entire person, and that might involve putting their comfort above your own for a minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I think you are getting terrible advice. Own the Fs. Explain that after attending for a semester, you felt that your continued attendance was dishonest and you needed to work through your personal faith privately. State that you realized that this would lead to failing grades in this class but you felt this was better than the alternative. In retrospect, you might have picked a different university but you actually found the process helpful.

They will eat that up.

I gotta disagree with you on this one, friend. The emotional well-being of your patient is incredibly important. If it would relieve anxiety in my patient and help him/her cope, I would absolutely take the one minute to pray with him/her. You are caring for the entire person, and that might involve putting their comfort above your own for a minute.

Maybe my response was too harsh. If it were an extreme case, I would do it if it made my patient feel better. But I would refuse to otherwise.

Maybe my response was too harsh. If it were an extreme case, I would do it if it made my patient feel better. But I would refuse to otherwise.
Even in a typical case never bad to provide an extra source of the placebo effect !

What will you do when a patient asks you to pray with them? Walk out and tell them you don't believe in prayer?

The same thing I do in any other situation where prayer is attempted, pretend like I'm participating,

Reactions: 1 users
What will you do when a patient asks you to pray with them? Walk out and tell them you don't believe in prayer?
Sorry, you're right...that line of mine was only accurate in the context we've been discussing here (it was in direct response to someone suggesting 'an alternate spiritual project' as a school credit). I have actually discussed the possibility of partaking in spiritual discussions when beneficial to someone else; I'm fine with it in that context. I understand that some people are wired differently than myself and find spirituality comforting rather than frustrating.
I have spiritual discussions with people when they need it and it helps them.

Exactly. Comforting a scared person ≠≠≠ fulfilling a bureaucratic checkbox.
The same thing I do in any other situation where prayer is attempted, pretend like I'm participating,
Fortunately, 'staring at the ground silently' is often taken for appropriate reverence!

OP, I think you are getting terrible advice. Own the Fs. Explain that after attending for a semester, you felt that your continued attendance was dishonest and you needed to work through your personal faith privately. State that you realized that this would lead to failing grades in this class but you felt this was better than the alternative. In retrospect, you might have picked a different university but you actually found the process helpful.

They will eat that up.
This. So much this. This is exactly the sort of statement that OP needs to make here, and which I cannot understand getting horrible backlash. This is perfectly reasonable.

Eh, to me it's the blatant disregard for one's own academic record that makes it worthy of backlash. Alas, this is a circular argument that really needs to die.

Eh, to me it's the blatant disregard for one's own academic record that makes it worthy of backlash. Alas, this is a circular argument that really needs to die.
Eh, I actually respect someone who finds something more important than grades.
And there was academic backlash - the Fs factoring in the GPA!

Anywho, yeah, I think we've all said our piece. I've even gotten into frustrated-SDN mode and made myself look a little stupid. Ah, well.

Thank you all for the discussion. I actually did enjoy it, and we were all polite to each other, which is always refreshing!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow... this thread has a taken a major turn of events....

All I can say is...
:hijacked:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to see anyone explain the real-world value of them attending chapel. No one has even remotely addressed that.

Attending clearly would not have benefited OP, as they don't seem to feel aligned with that religious service.
It would not have demonstrated academic fitness.
It would not have improved the lives of others.
It was irrelevant academically, religiously, etc.
So what is it that we're so concerned that they skipped out on? Who cares if they aren't religious? As far as judgement goes, they got a good gpa at a great price.

I disagree with your assessment because the student proved incapable of jumping through bull**** hoops, which like it or not is a big part of medical school. It sucks and we all bitch about it, but at the end of the day I still have to show up and perform for the classes I think are worthless.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with your assessment because the student proved incapable of jumping through bull**** hoops, which like it or not is a big part of medical school. It sucks and we all bitch about it, but at the end of the day I still have to show up and perform for the classes I think are worthless.
:shrug:
I'll gladly do that for anything other than religious services. I think there is, somehow, a big difference once that factor comes into play.

:shrug:
I'll gladly do that for anything other than religious services. I think there is, somehow, a big difference once that factor comes into play.

There isn't when you know in advance. If you're going to attend a religious university pick one that you agree with.

The behavior of the OP in this thread had zero to do with religion or any religious customs or practices. That's the bottom line here.

And that opinion comes from someone who believes "God is dead."

Guess we're done.

i dunno, i saw an episode of house where he berates a patient for believing in an imaginary god. you're telling me i cant do that as a doctor?

my 2 cents is that it looks bad but at the same time coming from a person who is very non religious its understandable.

i dunno, i saw an episode of house where he berates a patient for believing in an imaginary god. you're telling me i cant do that as a doctor?

You sure can.

Between old episodes of House and bingewatching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, I am certain that I know what it is like to be a physician. In fact, I think I know it so well, I should probably just be able to clep out of a few years of med school.

You never did state how you personally would interpret OP's behavior and reasoning
OP was asking for support. I had nothing supportive to say.
Now that she is gone, I can offer my opinion that her behavior was childish. Her only defense might have been that she has matured.
I find required chapel repugnant, but those were the terms of her scholarship.
She made a contract. A promise made and accepted in good faith is serious business.

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing gets by you!
I always end up as "pun retroactively intended."
I never see it to start, but I'm damn sure happy it's there once it gets pointed out!