FTDs on VISITORS VISA in US- done with NBDE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asghan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just thought of starting this thread..solely for the guys on visitors visa here.

Don't know about the other guys. But i'm guessing a majority FTDs are wives on H4..who have time on their hands. Or people with their families here.

this thread is for guys like me..who're in visitors visa. just gave my nbde 3 days ago. toefl coming up in 2 weeks. and then i'll have 3-4 months remaining in US.

So essentially this thread is for guys like me..who are here on limited time..n each day counts..to improve our profile. Hope there are more like me !!
cheers:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey..i gave my NBDE 1 in march, came back, applied from india and now i m coming in september for duggans and interviews :)

thats gr8...so did u utilize ur full 6 months stay when u came in march?
since we both have multiple entry visa's...we need to have at least a 6month gap before visiting US again. right?

so did u do any observership etc? could u share ur stats and which schools called u for iv?i have missed out on CA deadlines..and would be applying only to 2-4 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
since we both have multiple entry visa's...we need to have at least a 6month gap before visiting US again. right?

thats not ture.
I have been to theUS on a visitors visa more than once in a 6 month period.

Reactions: 1 user
bombay bds... had u exhausted all the 6months here in US before going back to india...6months is the validity of visa..in my case june 22 to dec 22. i think i can come back to US only once in a yr..and there must be 6months gap in between.

i might be wrong here...not sure..pls do correct me if i'm wrong.

will surely look into immi rules and post here..

bombay bds... had u exhausted all the 6months here in US before going back to india...6months is the validity of visa..in my case june 22 to dec 22. i think i can come back to US only once in a yr..and there must be 6months gap in between.

i might be wrong here...not sure..pls do correct me if i'm wrong.

will surely look into immi rules and post here..

No I had not exhausted the 6 months.
Please find out definate information from a US embassy / consulate and dont rely on word of mouth.

thats gr8...so did u utilize ur full 6 months stay when u came in march?

so did u do any observership etc? could u share ur stats and which schools called u for iv?i have missed out on CA deadlines..and would be applying only to 2-4 schools.

I stayed only for 2 weeks...u can enter d US even if u dont have a 6 months gap...i went 2 times last year wid a gap of 1 month..
I ve applied to 3 cali schools nd 3 others
My scores are 91/4.0/109 and i ve done a short certificate program from NYU and 1 month of observership...

Goodluck

hi, i also stayed for just two weeks since i gave the exam during my internship and had to come back so that i wudnt get too long an extension. i havnt been back to US since. I have a 10 year multiple visa so il be going back to US next month sometime.
My stats are 88/3.26/111 ...no US experience but i have a couple of presentations i gave here at national conferences in my home country and attended various continuing dental education programs here.

thanks 4 d replies..indiadent and phoenix5...
u both do have really good stats...best of luck for future...
n hope guys like us post their experiences n keep this thread alive...
surely i'll update 4m my part..

i am thinking of giving my nbde exam on visitors visa.lets say you got selected in a dental program in usa, what is the chances of getting student visa after that.are you going to return to your native country and apply for student visa or are you going to do something else?
i did take advice from few consultancies,they say if i go on visitors visa it will be very difficult to get student visa after that.:confused:

you can write NBDE 1 in visitors visa. http://www.medabroad.info/2009/02/nbde-on-visitor-visa_17.html Here you may find info u need.

I don't think obtaining a student visa becomes difficult if you have a B2 visa. They look into other factors like funding etc. Also pls don't depend on consultancies..they are only after ur money. Talk to people already in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i only know one person who has 10 yrs of experience in india and got into BU..he gave his exams and interview on visitors visa.:).and also one of my senior gave her nbde on visitors visa,but she is not clear about hw to get student visa if she gets selected.
so i was in a dilemma weather to go for nbde on visitors visa or student visa.And my brother stays in usa and is employed,should i mention about him??:confused:

and what are the chances of getting student visa after i get admission if i have visitors visa already?

See having a visitor visa does not put you in any advantage/disadvantage for getting a student visa. That's a whole different issue.

Having a MPH or MS is definitely a plus point. But shamming in that is going to hamper your prospects in dental school.

No one can predict the future. Reading that forum in medabroad will give you a clear picture. All the best!!

I took NBDE 1 on visitors visa

i have applied for visitors visa to give NBDE 1 in DEC. I have a visa interview coming up .. Can anyone suggest some quick tips for the interveiw..
i am planning to directly mention my purpose of visit ..to give exams only

plz share some experiences....:)

i have applied for visitors visa to give NBDE 1 in DEC. I have a visa interview coming up .. Can anyone suggest some quick tips for the interveiw..

That worked for me! Good luck, I hope it works for you too!
Try to say that the exam is a mandatory requirement for advanced education in the US. It is conducted only in US and Canada. And you wish to pursue advanced education...
Also, do mention that you will come back to your home country once you complete your exam. You will then apply to schools and if you get admitted to your desired program, you will apply for an appropriate visa later...
I was asked the difference between USMLE and NBDE. Be prepared for that as well.
Bottomline: be honest, let them see your dedication to pursue further studies... don't look tensed during the interview, bear a gracious smile :)

Reactions: 1 user
That worked for me! Good luck, I hope it works for you too!
Try to say that the exam is a mandatory requirement for advanced education in the US. It is conducted only in US and Canada. And you wish to pursue advanced education...
Also, do mention that you will come back to your home country once you complete your exam. You will then apply to schools and if you get admitted to your desired program, you will apply for an appropriate visa later...
I was asked the difference between USMLE and NBDE. Be prepared for that as well.
Bottomline: be honest, let them see your dedication to pursue further studies... don't look tensed during the interview, bear a gracious smile :)
thank you .... i hope it would work ... as i am saying the truth and thers no lie in it ... i just hope i dont get nervous while speaking ....

Be very cool the interview will be very easy to handle. they asked me the process of the nbde exams, what does your father do, and wher will you stay in USA and relation with that person thats it, they did not ask me my exam confirmation letter even. I did not open my file even. I gave them my passport and application form. they did not ask me my financial papers also. So, be cool and confident.

But to my friend, when she told that she is a dentist they asked her about maxillary reduction......WE thought may be he went through that......so dont worry. all the best

but do take all the forms necessary I think you know all that if not just pm me

Be very cool the interview will be very easy to handle. they asked me the process of the nbde exams, what does your father do, and wher will you stay in USA and relation with that person thats it, they did not ask me my exam confirmation letter even. I did not open my file even. I gave them my passport and application form. they did not ask me my financial papers also. So, be cool and confident.

But to my friend, when she told that she is a dentist they asked her about maxillary reduction......WE thought may be he went through that......so dont worry. all the best

thank you ... and i will carry all relevant documents...

Hey did u get the visa eventually?? Am also planning to apply for the visitor visa for for nbde 1 so very tense..and also what do u think that should i apply for the US visa or the canadian one since i have heard that getting a canadian visa is easier as compare to the US
?

visitor visa is easy to get just state the true purpose for the visit do not lie to them. but they may ask that if you wish to practice in usa then u may say that i will return back after completing my studies and practice here in much more refined way