Full Ride Medical School Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HM1 Justin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year again and the Navy is taking applications for the Health Professions Scholarship Program, last year they awarded hundreds of scholarships. The program covers the full cost of tuition, $20,000 sign on bonus, and a living stipend of around $2,100 every month in school.

Many Navy Doctors & Dentists have used this scholarship to pay for their Medical or Dental School at Harvard, Stanford, UC Davis, UOP, UCSF and Johns Hopkins; to name a few.

Top Rated Residency Programs also included:
Navy programs have a 95-100% first time board pass rate. The national average is only 80-85%
Navy Surgery Residency Program has an 11 year 100% first time board pass rate
You receive approximately $85,000 Annual Salary while in our Residency programs
Free Medical coverage for you and your dependents while in Residency
You may also match to a Civilian Residency of your choice

art6D2C.tmp
Basic Requirements:
art6D5C.tmp
US Citizen
art6D5D.tmp
Commission (graduation) before age 42
art6D5E.tmp
MCAT > 29
art6D5F.tmp
GPA > 3.0
art6D60.tmp
Physically Qualified
art6D61.tmp
Applying to an Accredited U.S. Medical Program (MD or DO)

Let me know if anybody has questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

How much is the Navy paying you?

Reactions: 5 users
The caveat being that they receive basic pay as Medical Corp Officers.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might laugh, but I think that this is a good option for people planning to go into certain specialties especially if they are unable to pay otherwise and aren't willing to take on the loans. It's a long road, but people go from doing this to becoming a civ doctor as well if you're interested in that.

Top Rated Residency Programs also included:
Navy programs have a 95-100% first time board pass rate. The national average is only 80-85%
Navy Surgery Residency Program has an 11 year 100% first time board pass rate
You receive approximately $85,000 Annual Salary while in our Residency programs
Free Medical coverage for you and your dependents while in Residency
You may also match to a Civilian Residency of your choice

So, if someone has no interest in doing a Navy residency they can choose to do a civilian residency of their choice? Or sometimes the Navy is okay with some of their people doing civilian residencies? Or, is it... You MAY also match to a civilian residency of your choice, but we MAY force you to stay in the Navy system?

Reactions: 1 users
So, if someone has no interest in doing a Navy residency they can choose to do a civilian residency of their choice? Or sometimes the Navy is okay with some of their people doing civilian residencies? Or, is it... You MAY also match to a civilian residency of your choice, but we MAY force you to stay in the Navy system?

You can ellect to apply for a civilian residency and match in March or you can apply for a military residency and match in December.

The caveat being that they receive basic pay as Medical Corp Officers.

You receive pay while in medical school, you receive pay while in residency (without worrying about student loans), and then you get base pay, and a housing allowance, annual bonus, monthly board certification pay, ect. on top of military benefits. The time commitment to the Navy is four years.

What we're all interested is the catch.
What's the catch? : D

Nothing is free in the world.

Edit:
Never mind. You answered it. 4 year time commitment which isn't too shabby.

Reactions: 1 user
So, again, just to clarify. There are no situations where a medical student will be told, you must do XYZ residency regardless of their intended specialty or interest?

In the civilian side you can apply for a residency and not get into any, military residency is just as completive.

You might laugh, but I think that this is a good option for people planning to go into certain specialties especially if they are unable to pay otherwise and aren't willing to take on the loans. It's a long road, but people go from doing this to becoming a civ doctor as well if you're interested in that.

I think the poor souls in the milmed forum would respectfully disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a fair tradeoff. Either you choose 4 years of navy work with amazing life experiences debt free, or 4 years of regular civilian work paying off debt with standard pay.

I'm choosing the latter, but for those who want to go out and see the world, the Navy ain't a bad choice.

In the civilian side you can apply for a residency and not get into any, military residency is just as completive.

You know what would drastically help your recruiting pitch? If you actually answered the question that I asked, rather than telling me something unrelated. Want to try again? Or do I need to clarify the question again for you?

Reactions: 3 users
You know what would drastically help your recruiting pitch? If you actually answered the question that I asked, rather than telling me something unrelated. Want to try again? Or do I need to clarify the question again for you?

Mimelim is a no BS type of guy

No, you're are not forced into a residency, you can decline residency all together and become Flight Surgeon, Dive Medical Officer, General Medical Officer.

No, you're are not forced into a residency, you can decline residency all together and become Flight Surgeon, Dive Medical Officer, General Medical Officer.
The thing I'm concerned about is whether or not it is more difficult to match into a civilian residency as a Navy officer compared to a regular medical student.

Furthermore, the restrictions military residency programs have in terms of applying to fellowships...

You receive pay while in medical school, you receive pay while in residency (without worrying about student loans), and then you get base pay, and a housing allowance, annual bonus, monthly board certification pay, ect. on top of military benefits. The time commitment to the Navy is four years.
Could you please elaborate on this?

art6D2C.tmp
Basic Requirements:
art6D5C.tmp
US Citizen
art6D5D.tmp
Commission (graduation) before age 42
art6D5E.tmp
MCAT > 29
art6D5F.tmp
GPA > 3.0
art6D60.tmp
Physically Qualified
art6D61.tmp
Applying to an Accredited U.S. Medical Program (MD or DO)

What is defined as "physically qualified"?

Could you please elaborate on this?

As long as residency is under four years, you serve four years in the Navy, every year after that is a year for year pay back.

5 years residency = 5 years of service.

As long as residency is under four years, you serve four years in the Navy, every year after that is a year for year pay back.

So just to clarify. Say you do a 5 year residency. You will need to contribute an extra year on top of your 4 years of service already required after residency?

The thing I'm concerned about is whether or not it is more difficult to match into a civilian residency as a Navy officer compared to a regular medical student.

Furthermore, the restrictions military residency programs have in terms of applying to fellowships...

This is long answer PM me for details. Short answer the Navy makes you more competitive for residencies and fellowships.

And you can serve in the Navy with any specialty or can it only be certain specialties?

Did you order the code red?!?!?

On a more serious note, I really respect that you're trying to protect these kids from misinformation.

You can ellect to apply for a civilian residency and match in March or you can apply for a military residency and match in December.

This is wrong.

This is also wrong. The bit about the time commitment is profoundly wrong.

I think you intended to write "competitive" there? I'm not sure what you mean by that in any case. But if the trend holds whatever you meant by it is probably wrong too.

It bugs me when recruiters and other ill-informed people pop in like this.

If any of you are interested in military scholarships I suggest you visit the SDN Military Medicine subforum, read the stickies, do a search for HPSP and USUHS and FAP and related topics, and then post your questions.

HM1 Justin popped into the milmed forum today, where he bumped an old thread to declare himself a "subject matter expert on all things HPSP" which is a very odd thing to do, particularly when one is an E6. HPSP, the military match, pay, benefits, and the obligated service period are all very complex subjects.

HM1 Justin may mean well but he is not a good source of information.

To begin to answer some questions upthread, correctly:

If your medical school has been paid for via HPSP, you must apply for an inservice intern (PGY1) year at a military hospital. Most people will match to one of those positions. As part of that application, you may request a civilian deferral, but these are uncommon, not always offered for every specialty every year, and when those slots do exist, they are not necessarily awarded based on merit. If you do not match to a military PGY1, then you must find a PGY1 spot as a civilian.

After the PGY1 year, whether in or out of the military, you must apply for residency (PGY2+), unless you were granted a full deferment previously. In the Navy, outside of primary care residencies, it is the norm to NOT match to residency and NOT receive a civilian deferral, and then spend 2-3 years as a General Medical Officer with a ship, with the Marines, or doing something like flight or dive medicine.

After this GMO tour is complete, one can re-apply to residency, and at this point, the extra time in service typically earns enough points to make matching very likely. Or, some people just serve out 4 years as a GMO, get out of the military, and go do civilian residencies. These applicants are generally very well received by civilian programs, provided their grades and board scores were at least reasonably competitive in the first place.

A military PGY1 year does not pay back time owed, nor does it add additional obligation. It's neutral time.

Time spent in a military residency incurs a year-for-year obligation, but this is paid back concurrently with the medical school HPSP obligation. Time in residency does not pay back time owed from HPSP. When you finish an inservice residency, you owe the greater of either the HPSP obligation, or the residency obligation. (Note that GMO time, if any, pays down the HPSP obligation.)

It is complicated, but the end result is that a 4-year HPSP obligation always results in more than 4 years of service. You won't graduate in 2018 and get out of the military in 2022. You might graduate in 2018, finish internship in 2019 (owing 4 now), spend 3 years as a flight surgeon (owing 1 now in 2022), then do a 3 year residency (owing 3 now in 2025), then serve those 3 years, then get out in 2028. Ten years in uniform, after medical school. Another path is graduate in 2018, finish internship in 2019 (owe 4), do a GMO tour for 4 years, get out in 2023, and go be a civilian resident somewhere (while supplementing residency pay with some GI Bill $).

Pay while on active duty is also complex. Bottom line, depending on many factors, inservice military residents can expect to earn about $60-80K per year. GMOs tend to earn about the same, sometimes a bit more. After residency, most attendings will earn between $110K and $125K during the obligated/payback period.

In general, people getting out of the military to apply to civilian residency after doing their time as GMOs are not at a competitive disadvantage. The military service is an asset for most.

Fellowships while on active duty after a military residency vary from year to year. Recently it has become more difficult across the board for a variety of reasons. It is also very specialty dependent.

Are you required to go over seas? Or can you stay in the US?

You may be deployed overseas, usually someplace nasty (though as physicians the real risk is quite low), and indeed I would join expecting to at some point. A deployment is just you, no family, for usually about 7 months in the Navy. However there are shorter deployments, sometimes ... and during the height of Iraq/Afghanistan some deployments were longer.

You may be stationed overseas, though this is less common and for the most part, overseas billets go to people who ask for them. Family usually goes with you (ie to places like Japan, Guam, Spain, Italy) ... caveat, the really nice foreign posts tend to be taken by senior people. If you're just in for a couple years, you won't be going to Spain.

More answers in the milmed forum. There are a lot of disgruntled people there, but when it comes to questions that have actual facts for answers, they will all tell you the truth. You can sort through the opinions of personal experience yourself.

I graduated in 2002, interned until 2003, did a GMO tour with the Marines until 2006, finished anesthesiology residency in 2009, and am still in. More good than bad, for me.

Reactions: 10 users
Kudos to pgg for taking the time to find and respond to this thread. For those of you that were following this thread before its move, the OP is putting out incomplete and incorrect information. If his username is to be believed, he is not a physician, but rather a medic who has been assigned to recruit medical students. His experience consists of a few power points and lectures to familiarize himself with military medicine, as he possesses no direct knowledge of what it means to be a military physician. If anyone is seriously considering military medicine, I suggest you talk to military physicians no longer in training and read the many threads that discuss the pros/cons of such a choice in this forum.

I've never seen an HM1 function as a MC recruiter. Troll account? If so, this one was epic (and got me fair and square on the other thread).
If you are real, show these threads to your boss and allow him to reflect on the damage that another uniformed but uninformed salesman has done.

Last edited:
where was this thread originally? This HM1 is obviously clueless to what he is pitching.

where was this thread originally? This HM1 is obviously clueless to what he is pitching.

It was in pre-allo.

I don't think he's a troll. I kind of feel bad for the guy - someone assigned this HM1 the task of recruiting physicians. That's a tall order for a Corpsman, indeed for anyone who's not in the medical corps. He's probably a good sailor doing his best at the task he was given.

And predictably, it's gone exactly the same way it always goes when a recruiter starts posting here.

Recruiting duty is voluntary. A good sailor would have read the stickies before posting. He could have looked at the threads where SSG Whatshisname popped up and disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

And predictably, it's gone exactly the same way it always goes when a recruiter starts posting here.

There has got to be a better way to recruit for the medical corps than to give SGT snuffy an online click-through course on ALMS/ATTRS/NKO and then release him onto the uninformed masses... By what percentage would recruiting be cut if the recruiter was informed and honest?

Of note, flight surgery and dive medicine all require additional training. However, since these specialties are not accredited residencies, the military can get away with saying, "We will force you into a residency that you don't want," although they sure will force you into additional specialty training that you may not desire.

Of note, flight surgery and dive medicine all require additional training. However, since these specialties are not accredited residencies, the military can get away with saying, "We will force you into a residency that you don't want," although they sure will force you into additional specialty training that you may not desire.

With all the things there are to complain about in milmed, I feel like this is a needless stretch. GMO/FS/DMO tours can be a major negative of milmed depending on your perspective but people are concerned with suffering through years of 80 hour work weeks in an undesired specialty not spending a few relatively relaxing months in DMO or FS training...

And our subject matter expert is gone after a single day on the forums. That's a new record.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

yeah. even in the fruit fly like lifecycle of an sdn milmed recruiter, he flamed out once he attempted the big leagues.

--your friendly neighborhood they need to pay more attention to the skeletons at the door caveman