Full time job ideas before applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been out of school since last May with my undergrad degree being in microbiology, and I've been looking for a full time job but have been unsuccessful as of late, from just sending in tons of applications and never hearing back! I am working part time as a cashier and bored to tears atm... :( I have been waiting for my guaranteed interview for a pharmaceutical rep position with AstraZeneca but have not heard back yet but should hear back soon! I need a full time job that pays at least $30,000 or higher and soon because I'm tired of working my current job because it is SOOO boring! So, I was wondering what full time jobs you guys could recommend, while I am working on improving my MCAT score and improving my resume for applying? I would prefer a job in a hospital or something that is related (without any training or certificate required before applying!) and will look good on my resume! Thank you all for your help and advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
not really sure what job you can get at a hospital that pays at least 30k without special training... but if you want something that will look good on your resume, i would recommend working as a scribe although you'll pretty much be making minimum wage

Members don't see this ad :)
SAT/ACT or high school tutor. Decent money, but depends on location.

I would suggest looking at work related to your UG degree. It would probably provide more income than an unrelated job and allows you to enjoy the working world more.

Reactions: 3 users
What you want and what you will get will never be the same. I have a lot of experience with medical records but in my gap year still couldn't find any good job that utilized that skill. Instead I work at a glasses store but at least it's /slightly/ medical and it pays well with the commission I make.

You can apply for all those jobs but in the end you'll basically just need to 1. know somebody or 2. Have stellar experience that isn't just school.

Most people thought my answer of "I took this gap year to save some money and raise my puppy" as a perfectly acceptable way to spend my time. And at the end of the day, I got into a great school regardless

Look for jobs at your local university. They usually have many entry level jobs.

Look for jobs within your city's local school district. There's usually some great positions available that don't require a certificate (parent-teacher liason, substitute, receptionist, etc)

Scribe, phlebotomist, CNA?

All three provide great experience with an okay paycheck.

Central Sterile Technician. You can learn a lot about how the hospital and surgery department works, as well as much of the surgical instrumentation. Doesn't pay too bad either.

You can also make connections with surgery and anesthesia providers to shadow.

not really sure what job you can get at a hospital that pays at least 30k without special training... but if you want something that will look good on your resume, i would recommend working as a scribe although you'll pretty much be making minimum wage
Yea, I see what you mean because almost all jobs like that require a year or more of training! Do you know of any jobs that could pay 30K or more that you can train on the job? How much does working as a scribe pay usually?
Go into sales.
That's what I want to do actually, but my contact hasn't set me up with my guaranteed interview date yet... :(

ER scribe
Would be a pretty good job... how much does it pay on average?

Look for jobs at your local university. They usually have many entry level jobs.
I have applied to so many of these, but have never heard back or they hired someone else! Any advice?

Teach tennis.
I actually thought about that and may do it in my spare time, it's definitely something I would enjoy, as opposed to what I do now!!! ... :)

Scribe, phlebotomist, CNA?

All three provide great experience with an okay paycheck.
Great ideas, how much do they usually pay?

Central Sterile Technician. You can learn a lot about how the hospital and surgery department works, as well as much of the surgical instrumentation. Doesn't pay too bad either.

You can also make connections with surgery and anesthesia providers to shadow.
Sounds wonderful!!! What's the average pay usually?

There's some information on the web that can be found through search engines. It varies by state, but I think its proportional to nursing and scrub tech wages if you can find those. I started at $11 in my state, and I live in the southeast.

I also worked as a scribe for a year. I started at minimum and hit about $10.50/hr by the end.

EDIT:

Found a site for you, http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Sterile_Processing_Technician/Hourly_Rate

If you have a social science degree, many private psychiatric hospitals offer around $30,000 a year to psychiatric technicians. I majored in Neuroscience and am now making ~$25,000/year straight out of college as a Psych Tech at a state hospital.

Ok, so this doesn't require another type of certificate or prior training on top of a degree? Would I be ok with just my B.S. in microbiology?

Ok, so this doesn't require another type of certificate or prior training on top of a degree? Would I be ok with just my B.S. in microbiology?

Depends on the hospital, but mine didn't and I received all necessary certifications as part of my training.

However, without a degree in a social science or prior experience in a mental health setting, I don't think you'd be eligible. :/

Be a research associate, depending on the lab, you could get paid starting $20/hr

Great ideas, how much do they usually pay?
CNA usually pays somewhere between 9-13$/hr. Pay in nursing homes is usually less, pay in a hospital or other health care center is more. I love my job as a CNA, I took a class over the summer and started working in a healthcare center this past year. If you're looking for money, there's better options than CNA. If you're looking for experience and an opportunity to provide hands on patient care, CNA is awesome.

Medicine is not a glamorous profession by any means, you have to get up close and personal (sometimes extremely) with people to perform your job. The same can be said of a CNA. As a physician, you are also responsible for taking care of patients when they are in their most vulnerable states. CNA's, although to a lesser extent, are also entrusted by their patients to take care of them in this same dynamic. You don't really see what a doctor does, but CNA supplemented with shadowing I think can be very valuable. If you're interested at all in CNA feel free to PM me. Like I said, I love my job!