Fund of Knowledge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a sub-I on my team who constantly answers pimp questions before the attending finishes speaking, even when the attending is directing the question at a specific person and not the whole team in general. Neither the attending nor any of the residents have told her (the sub-I) to stop doing it, but basically it takes away any opportunity to demonstrate fund of knowledge unless I start answering mid-sentence as well. Initially I tried to incorporate a few points of reasoning into my A&P, but the attending told me just to give the "what", not the "how" or "why". This is medicine and not surgery like you might be thinking.

Besides briefly explaining my A&P thought process (i.e. "pt with previously undiagnosed CHF, plan for today is order echo to evaluate EF and cardiac anatomy...") and not being clueless when getting pimped I don't know how to demonstrate my "fund of knowledge".

Advice?

Edit: I have read through these two threads and have been doing the things listed. But not all of them are possible with the way things are setup here. Also what are your opinions of an attending saying you are "above average" at X? Not in an eval, but in an informal discussion of your performance.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/high-low-fund-of-knowledge.406056/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...of-knowledge-in-clerkship-evaluation.1127207/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what your type of personality is as far as handling this situation. You could tactfully ask them not to do this. Person is either a gunner or a social ****** (not developed enough socially to realize the question is being directed at someone else - not using the term in a pejorative sense).

If they are the latter, yet also a decent human being, they might stop doing it.

If the former, they might tell you something like, "Oh yeah man, so sorry about that. I'll try to watch I don't do that." Then they'll proceed to round on all your patients and answer even the non-pimp questions directed at you, i.e. "what is Mr. Joe Bob's potassium this AM?" (Gunner will whip out the labs and spout them out faster than you).

Only way to deal with this type of person is to push them into on-going traffic or spike their fruit-loops with strychnine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping your attending isn't aloof enough to miss what's going on. I'm guessing he or she can see what's going on, especially if your mouth is open and you're about to spill out words. The Sub-I probably has no idea they're doing it or they're doing it on purpose. It's hard to beat them at their own medicine, given their fund of knowledge over you (I'm assuming you're a 3rd year), but asking them to stop might be the first step.

Only way to deal with this type of person is to push them into on-going traffic or spike their fruit-loops with strychnine.

I'd recommend laxative-laced brownies or drink. Way more hilarious for yourself and embarrassing for them to explain why they have to rush to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

I'm hoping your attending isn't aloof enough to miss what's going on. I'm guessing he or she can see what's going on, especially if your mouth is open and you're about to spill out words. The Sub-I probably has no idea they're doing it or they're doing it on purpose. It's hard to beat them at their own medicine, given their fund of knowledge over you (I'm assuming you're a 3rd year), but asking them to stop might be the first step.

I actually know the majority of the questions and given an opportunity to answer I'd be able to at least keep up.