Funded vs. Unfunded Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing summer research at my current institution but didn't end up applying for the funding they were giving out for research positions. It is still worthwhile to spend the summer doing research that is not funded (i.e., volunteering)? What is the difference anyway? (besides obvious ones, like a stipend, and having to make/present a poster). Is funded research looked at with much higher regard by residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don't think you should be worried about funded vs unfunded. Your main goal should be to publish a paper. Of course, this is easier said than done. However, if your doing simple clinical research, I'm sure you can get your name on a paper or two (or more). Very hard to accomplish something in basic life sciences in 3 months.

If you want to earn some money at the same time, see if you can apply for work study. Applying for work study at my school is pretty easy if you are working with professors on campus. I know a lot of students in my class are preferring to do work study over the summer instead of the research fellowship because your hours are more flexible.

it's not about being funded, it's about being published! I guess one exception to this could be if you get a big-name funding source to pad your CV, like an NIH fellowship or MSK.