Funding for counseling psych PHd programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronerd028

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to masters programs in counseling psychology and if I attend will obtain rather significant debt. My ultimate goal is to get my PHd in counseling psych but I am worried I won't be able to afford it after a masters program. I am getting married next year and eventually want children so I don't want to take something on that will stop me from being able to be a part of and support my family. Are the a lot of funded PHd programs out there or is hard to find? I've been doing quite a bit of research on programs and so far the only one I can find that advertised it was NYU, does anyone know of any more programs I should look at?

Members don't see this ad.

Most counseling phd programs are funded; unlike masters programs, PhD programs are typically better funded even. Schools of education, where may programs are housed, are typically well-funded. Most PsyD/unfunded programs are designated as clinical programs instead of counseling to my knowledge. Depending on the region you are looking at, there may be more or less counseling psychology programs but all areas have some. Some states may have tighter budgets than others right now as well. Kansas, for instance, has a educational funding crisis impacting all levels of their education process from K through graduate programs. A lot of what program you should look at depends on your interests. I would recommend looking at the guide to graduate school psychology programs book and then reading more on the program websites. As with any competitive admissions process, the difficulty of finding and securing the best types of funding with vary according to your competitiveness. Folks here with generally tell you that you should be able to obtain good quality graduate training without incurring large amounts of debt.

As Justanothergrad suggested, get the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. About 2/3 to 3/4 the way through it, there is a section listing every counseling program with relevant data, e.g. average GRE scores and GPAs for admitted students, including what percentage of students admitted received different forms of funding, if any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most counseling phd programs are funded; unlike masters programs, PhD programs are typically better funded even. Schools of education, where may programs are housed, are typically well-funded. Most PsyD/unfunded programs are designated as clinical programs instead of counseling to my knowledge.

I think the fact that clinical psych has a large number of large, completely unfunded programs drives down the "average funding for a clinical program" number. I haven't perceived funded counseling programs to be especially better funded than funded clinical programs. My perception is that funded programs in either area can run the full range (from partial tuition funding and small stipends to complete tuition remissions and large stipends).

Reactions: 1 user
I think the fact that clinical psych has a large number of large, completely unfunded programs drives down the "average funding for a clinical program" number. I haven't perceived funded counseling programs to be especially better funded than funded clinical programs. My perception is that funded programs in either area can run the full range (from partial tuition funding and small stipends to complete tuition remissions and large stipends).
That's true- thanks for clarifying that. I dodn't want to suggest poor funding for clinical or a difference between the two other than, like you said, the average is funding due to the PsyD program push. There is a full range in both.

I was speaking from my n=1 experience. Comparing funding opportunities between the clinical and counseling each had their advantages/disadvantages. Counseling got far, far more travel and research support and clinical had much more stable GTA support (in part because of the undergrad program tied to the clinical psych program).Either way. All schools vary and so there isn't a one size fits all approach. Best of luck OP.